• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

3 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Yes. They. Did.  What do you call trading away three of your best players for "future" draft picks and filler?  It doesn't matter if they didn't have the worst record.  They deliberately constructed their team to miss the playoffs and accomplished that mission.  There was no question about  that.  It seems you want to revise history because it doesn't fit your narrative.  Was that bad management?  Was that a mistake?  The answer to both questions is no.

https://nesn.com/2017/11/brad-stevens-wanted-no-part-of-tanking-before-being-celtics-coach/

“The one thing he wouldn’t do going forward was try to lose a game, or you know, ‘tank,’ ” Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca told Boston.com. “So if we were going to have a strategy, maybe like ‘The Process,’ he was not going to participate in that.”

“We said, ‘No, we’re always trying to win. We’re going to try to win on the fly and rebuild on the fly,’ ” Pagliuca said. “Who knows if we can do that or not, but that was certainly going to be the strategy. Tanking is different than developing talent. We try to keep all the good talent.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2400816-the-team-that-refused-to-tank-meet-the-surging-boston-celtics

So, it's not me that is revising history here.  If you want to say Boston tanked, then you might as well say Atlanta tanked in Danny Ferry's 2nd year.  

But you know what, continue to live in this alternate world where tanking guarantees you success and there is no risk involved when it comes to tanking.

I've grown tired of this discussion because it is f***ing nonsense to even be arguing with me over this.  Just sit back and watch as the disaster unfolds, and this tank job that Travis Schlenk is doing to the Hawks does not end the way you think it will end.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The fact anyone engages with that person is just baffling to me. Do you think a lemon will change his spots after being proven categorically wrong in just about every opinion offered on this site?

Remember, facts only work if they bolster an agenda. Anything else is FAKE NEWS like CNN.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

I won't argue that if you want to **stay the pace** though, letting Al Horford just walk is a mistake. Because he meant everything for what the Hawks did, even though he wasn't flashy. 

True but one of the worst box office teams annually in the league simply can’t justify paying $30 milly to an “unflashy” player.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

True but one of the worst box office teams annually in the league simply can’t justify paying $30 milly to an “unflashy” player.

I think they can but it is a matter of context and what you are trying to accomplish.  Clearly, they were past the point of trying to convince themselves they could be contenders by re-upping everyone at the end of last season.  In that context, if merely cruising towards a .500 type record isn't good enough for you then you can't justify paying him that money just to put up another negative point differential season.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 4:21 PM, KB21 said:

Two of the biggest flaws in the fans point of view who support the idea of tanking the season out to get a top pick are:

1.  A top three pick guarantees you will get a superstar player.  No, it doesn't.  Atlanta had the #2 and the #3 pick during the previous tank job they did that didn't work.  Those picks produced Marvin Williams and Al Horford, who was a very good player but is what I would call a "yeah, but" player.  Meaning yeah he's good, but he's not.....etc.  

2.  The thought that because Travis Schlenk comes from the Warriors, and they did well with their mid to lower lottery picks and draft picks overall, that this will also be the case in Atlanta.  You know what.  Rob Hennigan was also a part of the OKC front office that drafted Durant, Westbrook, and Harden in the lottery and Ibaka in the late first round.  How did that drafting success translate to his time as GM in Orlando?

The only guarantee about tanking that is actually real is that when you tank, you are going to be a losing organization for a several years.

Woody came from the Pistons too.  He was the Larry Brown staff's version of Bud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

LA Lakers is currently in 2nd place with no reason to tank, once Lonzo is back and KCP is out of jail, they should string together 22-24 wins on the season. 

Is the LA pick protected or not this year?  Can't remember at this point having seen Philly's protection on it in the press the last few months.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Is the LA pick protected or not this year?  Can't remember at this point having seen Philly's protection on it in the press the last few months.

LA owns none of it if I can recall. 

1- Philly

2-5 Boston

6-30 Philly

• Like 1