• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Just so everyone will know, let me tell you how this "rebuild" is going to go:

This year, the Hawks are going to have between 20 and 24 wins.  They will get a high draft pick.

Next year, the Hawks are going to have between 20 and 24 wins.  They will get another high draft pick.

In year three, the Hawks will have between 20 and 24 wins again.  They will get another high draft pick.

In year 4, the Hawks will actually jump up to the 30-34, but another lottery pick will be on the way.

In year 5, the Hawks will finally break the 40 win mark and win between 40 and 44 games.  They may are may not be in the playoffs by this time.

In year 6 and year 7, they will hover around the 40-44 win mark before they decide to tank again.

Sorry, but no championship will come out of this tank.

So why do you stick around? Just curious??

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Yep.See Lakers..

Yep.  4 straight lottery picks, 3 of which have been #2 overall picks, and still no playoffs.

Oh, and look.  They are following right along with the pattern I just described above.   21, 17, 26, and now they will be in the 30-34 win range for the year.

We would have young pieces with several on rookie deals instead of 30+ year old ones who are overpaid in that scenario. That sounds better than resign Sap and have no true assets moving forward right? If we are back in the playoffs when our draft pick this year is hypothetically 25-27 with several lottery prospects with him I like that future over fighting for a playoff spot this year with an old expensive roster any day.

1 minute ago, davis171 said:

We would have young pieces with several on rookie deals instead of 30+ year old ones who are overpaid in that scenario. That sounds better than resign Sap and have no true assets moving forward right? If we are back in the playoffs when our draft pick this year is hypothetically 25-27 with several lottery prospects with him I like that future over fighting for a playoff spot this year with an old expensive roster any day.

That's my point.  If it takes the Hawks till their draft pick this year is 25-27 to make the playoffs, then the tank did not work.   

It's not going to work, because the strategy doesn't work.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, davis171 said:

I still can't figure out how Millsap would be helping this team secure a playoff spot if the dude hasn't played basically the entire season.

• Like 3

Just now, KB21 said:

That's my point.  If it takes the Hawks till their draft pick this year is 25-27 to make the playoffs, then the tank did not work.   

It's not going to work, because the strategy doesn't work.

Say whoever goes to to the hawks this year kills it. Hawks pick up several high end prospects and are a nearly 50 win basketball team come 2023 with cap space to sign free agents due to rookie deals and the cap flexibility and somehow when year 2025 comes around the Atlanta Hawks win an NBA title you would be on here complaining "The rebuild was a failure because the Hawks did't win fast enough!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Say whoever goes to to the hawks this year kills it. Hawks pick up several high end prospects and are a nearly 50 win basketball team come 2023 with cap space to sign free agents due to rookie deals and the cap flexibility and somehow when year 2025 comes around the Atlanta Hawks win an NBA title you would be on here complaining "The rebuild was a failure because the Hawks did't win fast enough!"

Yes, because if the strategy works, it should happen when this year's pick is on his first contract.

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes, because if the strategy works, it should happen when this year's pick is on his first contract.

Okay you just blew my mind. If the hawks win a championship in 7-8 years Schlenk 100% deserves a statue. 

Edited by davis171
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Okay you just blew my mind. If the hawks win a championship in 7-8 years Schlenk 100% deserves a statue. 

If the Hawks win a championship in 7-8 years, it will be because they fired Travis and hired a competent GM. 

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

If the Hawks win a championship in 7-8 years, it will be because they fired Travis and hired a competent GM. 

If what you just said happens 90% of hawks fans are 100% happy with that if it follows what he has said of keeping the books clean and maintaining bird rights. 

9 hours ago, terrell said:

So why do you stick around? Just curious??

Because I've been a Hawks fan since the mid 80s, and I have absolutely no interest in any other NBA team at all.  I've also been a member of this website since its inception, when sturt first started it, so you newbies aren't about to tell me anything on my fanhood.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Because I've been a Hawks fan since the mid 80s, and I have absolutely no interest in any other NBA team at all.  I've also been a member of this website since its inception, when sturt first started it, so you newbies aren't about to tell me anything on my fanhood.  

So you don't want championships how was that old roster ever winning anything. At least if we get young and inexpensive and nail a couple draft picks we have the chance of attracting a major free agent and winning a title.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davis171 said:

So you don't want championships how was that old roster ever winning anything. At least if we get young and inexpensive and nail a couple draft picks we have the chance of attracting a major free agent and winning a title.

I'm not sure why this myth continues to be perpetuated.  Bottoming out your roster and sucking for years does not give you a better chance of winning a championship.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm not sure why this myth continues to be perpetuated.  Bottoming out your roster and sucking for years does not give you a better chance of winning a championship.

Give an example of a team going from where the hawks were to a championship. There are plenty of examples of a team drafting their superstar that led them to a title.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Give an example of a team going from where the hawks were to a championship. There are plenty of examples of a team drafting their superstar that led them to a title.

There are?  Because I just took a look at every top 5 draft pick over the past 12 drafts (60 total draft picks), and only 2 of those draft picks (Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson) have won a championship with the team that drafted him.  Those two also only won because LeBron James is from that area and wanted to go back home.

Winning2.png

The best strategy to become great is to already be good, and the data backs this up.  

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There are?  Because I just took a look at every top 5 draft pick over the past 12 drafts (60 total draft picks), and only 2 of those draft picks (Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson) have won a championship with the team that drafted him.  Those two also only won because LeBron James is from that area and wanted to go back home.

Winning2.png

The best strategy to become great is to already be good, and the data backs this up.  

5 years is unrealistic how were the hawks winning a title in the next 5 years by keeping Sap around. Schlenk may or may not be a good GM you are judging him way to early 95% of the fan base agrees with the letting go of Sap instead of paying him 90 million and if you let him go you aren't a playoff team regardless so lose hard. 

Edited by davis171

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, davis171 said:

5 years is unrealistic how were the hawks winning a title in the next 5 years by keeping Sap around.

This circular discussion has to end...KB21 just can't acknowledge that the Lebrons and KDs of the basketball world aren't signing with Atlanta as free agent so the next best option is to draft a Lebron or KD.  Its just that simple. 

Now If KB21 is satisfied with the Memphis Grizzlies model of boring basketball which became more and more boring to watch every year they marched the same crew on the court then there should be no further discussion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This circular discussion has to end...KB21 just can't acknowledge that the Lebrons and KDs of the basketball world aren't signing with Atlanta as free agent so the next best option is to draft a Lebron or KD.  Its just that simple. 

Now If KB21 is satisfied with the Memphis Grizzlies model of boring basketball which became more and more boring to watch every year they marched the same crew on the court then there should be no further discussion.

That's a great strategy, because a Lebron or KD is drafted every year, right?

This right here is the biggest reason the tanking philosophy fails.  The central premise behind this strategy is to get that uber super star player who is on LeBron's and KD's level.  However, there is a reason those guys are generational talents.  They only come once a generation.  

You are far more likely to draft Andrew Wiggins than you are Kevin Durant with this strategy, and I'll let you in on a little secret.  You aren't winning a championship if Andrew Wiggins is your best player.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

That's a great strategy, because a Lebron or KD is drafted every year, right?

This right here is the biggest reason the tanking philosophy fails.  The central premise behind this strategy is to get that uber super star player who is on LeBron's and KD's level.  However, there is a reason those guys are generational talents.  They only come once a generation.  

You are far more likely to draft Andrew Wiggins than you are Kevin Durant with this strategy, and I'll let you in on a little secret.  You aren't winning a championship if Andrew Wiggins is your best player.

So let's go worse case scenario with your plan...The Hawks are far more likely to sign a Paul Millsap free agent and if Paul Millsap is the best player on your team, you ain't winning a championship!

• Like 4