• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If BIG IF, If Bud leaves and we are well compensated, who should we bring in

NBASupes

17 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

If he's "phenomenal" I don't think it would have taken this long to get hired again. 

Yeah according to some people with Bud we will lose 60+ games for the next 5 years but somehow the even WORSE Suns will improve by 20+ wins when he goes there. Logic flies out the window with some posters I swear. 

It is crazy how that guy's logic works.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Yeah according to some people with Bud we will lose 60+ games for the next 5 years but somehow the even WORSE Suns will improve by 20+ wins when he goes there. Logic flies out the window with some posters I swear. 

LOL!!!!!!!!  Love this post!!!

11 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Explain this ? What did I miss ? He gift wrapped a team for Steve Kerr. 

He's an iso heavy coach that had trouble fielding a good coaching staff. 

There is definitely something to the rift between he and the Golden State front office being more due to his beliefs than his coaching, and to be honest, I have no issue with his beliefs.  I am definitely not liberal.  That probably wouldn't change in Atlanta, where a lot of those same regressive ideals pervade, particularly when the GM comes from that Golden State front office that was at odds with Mark.  

Even then, Mark was slow to embrace analytics, which I don't like about him.  You have to be analytics savvy in today's NBA.  

25 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It is crazy how that guy's logic works.

The logic behind it is quite simple really, and if you understand talent and have a feel for where each team is at in their rebuild you will see the difference.  The bottom line is, Phoenix did not bottom out their roster to engineer this year's tank, and I don't agree with their decision to take.  The fact is, Phoenix is a team that has drafted in the lottery for 7 consecutive years.  The talent base of Devin Booker, TJ Warren, Dragan Bender, and Josh Jackson is a better core talent base than what the Hawks have currently with John Collins and Taurean Prince.  To add, Phoenix is also more willing to add veteran pieces now to get them over the hump and into the playoffs.   Atlanta is still in their tank mode where they want to be terrible to get the high picks in a bad draft.

2 hours ago, JSmooooove said:

If he's "phenomenal" I don't think it would have taken this long to get hired again. 

He’s interviewed for several jobs. He may be turning jobs down or may be getting blackballed.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, EazyRoc said:

How do people get the idea that Mark Jackson isn’t a PHENOMENAL coach ? He just rubbed the more liberal management of the Warriors because he was bringing his Christian ideals to work. Dude is the reason Golden State really became winners.

Like the time he tried to heal Steph’s bum ankle with holy oil blessed by his congregation? No thanks...

Steph hilariously said “I got up and started hopping around on it, what else was I supposed to do?” :P

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

It does bother me that two guys from Bud's coaching tree are already doing great jobs where they are at. Snyder in Utah is defying expectations and Atkinson in Brooklyn maximizes what little talent they have. I'd rather have either one of them as our coach if/when Bud is gone than anyone else we are going to hire to replace Bud.

• Like 3

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23244330/nba-coaching-candidates-big-names-top-prospects-wild-cards

Here is an updated article from the one Supes posted in the initial post.  It's the same author, Kevin Arnovitz, but this one is for 2018 while Supes's was for 2017.  

The high points from the article:

What happens when a prestige coach who signs up to lead a team to contention finds himself staring at a rebuild? Such is the case for the Hawks' Mike Budenholzer, regarded among players and execs as one of the league's top tacticians and culture-builders. Though Budenholzer has taken himself out of the running for the Suns' opening, that won't deter other teams from inquiring about his availability and interest. If Atlanta and Budenholzer parted ways, owner Tony Ressler and general manager Travis Schlenk would lose an elite coach, but would have an opportunity to hand-pick a coach who conforms to their vision and who would most likely come at great savings.

I can't help but think that this means - Ressler and Schlenk want a yes man - when I see this comment.  Ressler is probably also thinking that since the team is going to be losing anyway, why not cut cost at the head coach spot.

The names from this list to remember for the Hawks opening, when it opens up:

Hornets assistant Stephen Silas earns similar praise for his temperament, development approach and interpersonal skills with players. His interview for the Houston opening in 2016 made the race with Mike D'Antoni a strong two-way contest, and Silas now has two months under his belt as the Hornets' interim head coach this season.

He worked with Travis Schlenk when both were assistants on Don Nelson's staff in Golden State.

Warriors assistant Jarron Collins checks a ton of boxes. He's both a former player who was the consummate locker room guy, but also a full-on geek who grinded as a scout before landing on the bench. He is at heart a basketball intellectual who loves creative problem-solving.

Current Golden State assistant who has worked with Schlenk before.

New Orleans Pelicans assistant Darren Erman still has plenty of fans around the league who are willing to look past his messy departure from Golden State in 2014 and focus on his preparation, affability and tactical know-how.

Erman's departure was because he was fired by Mark Jackson for supposedly taping conversations he had with Jackson at the request of the front office (Schlenk was a part of) who was trying to find a reason to fire Jackson.