• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Your takeaways from Schlenk's Bud-separation press conf?

sturt

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

So he is a liar.  Just like Schlenk.

“POW!” ~ Rob Riggle

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree with you .  The punchline is that he therefore straight up lied much like Schlenk did.  Which is not at all surprising because coaches and GMs do that all the time to sell the product to the fans.  Bud put on a happy face and said he was good with the direction of the team and Schlenk said the team was there to compete.  I think he probably wasn't happy with the direction of the team and we all know the team's goal was to gather draft assets this season not to win games.  Neither guy told the fans the truth and we shouldn't be surprised by either lie.

Do you seriously think Bud was playing some of those line ups to win games?  Do you really think that some of those combinations Like Babbitt and Dedmon or Plumlee and Cavanaugh?  Or running Delaney into the ground was about winning?  You really think those line ups were consistent with a great coaching mind at work?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah, this team makes it hard to suffer through its incompetence too often.  Letting Bud go while paying him his whole salary is just being a patsy of the highest order.

Bud:  "I want to coach your rivals and I want you to pay me $14M to do it.  And even though I can't coach for anyone for 2 years if you won't release me, I don't want to give you anything to release me."

Schlenk: "Sounds good, Bud.  Releasing you before the draft OK so you can take what you know about us and interview with teams picking around us in the draft?"

Bud:  "I suppose that will give me something to laugh about when I interview in Milwaukee.  Sure.  Let's do that."

• Like 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The way I see it, there were a ton of mixed messages from Schlenk. 

- we'll take a step back from the playoffs to get better

- we'll play an exciting brand and be competive and if we win 30 games I'm ok with that....mmmmmm?? Apparently not. 

- I'm not interested in a Philly style tank he says. (We shall see this offseason).

To be honest with you, I think Schlenk truly believed that the team as constructed could win 30 games and I still agree.   But when the Hawks got off to that terrible start because of the schedule and Bud going with the  Babbitt/ Dedmon front court, he may have started to revise his outlook.  The early injuries to Dedmon, Moose and JC  resulting in Plumlee starting 34 strait games probably resulted in additional downward revisions.  Down the stretch when the Hawks were close to the top spot, he definitely thought there was a legitimate chance to finish with the worse record therefore started making roster changes through buy outs and fake injuries etc. to increase the odds. Then Bud struck the final defiant blow by playing a hot Prince 39 minutes in a defining game down the stretch which confused everyone and the rest is history

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bud:  "I suppose that will give me something to laugh about when I interview in Milwaukee.  Sure.  Let's do that."

Has Milwaukee given Bud a call yet?  If not, What's the hold up?

29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

To be honest with you, I think Schlenk truly believed that the team as constructed could win 30 games and I still agree.   But when the Hawks got off to that terrible start because of the schedule and Bud going with the  Babbitt/ Dedmon front court, he may have started to revise his outlook.  The early injuries to Dedmon, Moose and JC  resulting in Plumlee starting 34 strait games probably resulted in additional downward revisions.  Down the stretch when the Hawks were close to the top spot, he definitely thought there was a legitimate chance to finish with the worse record therefore started making roster changes through buy outs and fake injuries etc. to increase the odds. Then Bud struck the final defiant blow by playing a hot Prince 39 minutes in a defining game down the stretch which confused everyone and the rest is history

If Schlenk thought that team could win 30 games, then he is a bigger idiot than I think he is.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

If Schlenk thought that team could win 30 games, then he is a bigger idiot than I think he is.  

6 games off the pace even with all of the injuries and buy outs!  And bad coaching I might add! :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

6 games off the pace even with all of the injuries and buy outs!  And bad coaching I might add! :biggrin:

The coaching is the only reason this team didn't win fewer than 20 games.  Going into the season, this team had a 17 win profile based on WARP projections.  I gave them a Bud bump when I projected 23 wins for this team.  A lesser coach would not have gotten to 20 wins with this cast of characters.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

The coaching is the only reason this team didn't win fewer than 20 games.  Going into the season, this team had a 17 win profile based on WARP projections.  I gave them a Bud bump when I projected 23 wins for this team.  A lesser coach would not have gotten to 20 wins with this cast of characters.  

Then you explain why Babbitt was starting over Ilyasova the 1st 9 games of the season?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Also explain why the great Bud isn't being hired by anyone?

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Also explain why the great Bud isn't being hired by anyone?

Because Bud to Milwaukee is essentially a done deal right now.  He was the top candidate on the market, and Milwaukee is the best job that is open.

Also, the reason Babbitt started was because Ersan was out with a bruised knee.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Because Bud to Milwaukee is essentially a done deal right now.  He was the top candidate on the market, and Milwaukee is the best job that is open.

Based on what?

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The way I see it, there were a ton of mixed messages from Schlenk. 

- we'll take a step back from the playoffs to get better

- we'll play an exciting brand and be competive and if we win 30 games I'm ok with that....mmmmmm?? Apparently not. 

- I'm not interested in a Philly style tank he says. (We shall see this offseason).

- why bother signing Dedmon and Illyasova and keep Beli if you want to tank and not expect them to win you games, because as he said he's ok winning 30 games?

-  Trades Illyasova and Beli at the deadline but Dedmon wasn't on the market?

- sits Bazemore and Dennis to avoid winning, so Bud plays the young guys

- Hawks win 2 games down the stretch against playoff teams Wiz and Selts, Bud gets yelled at (I think it was Ressler) - probably says 'I dont need this' plus Schlenk now staying 'we'll leverage capspace for 1st round picks' meaning no meaningful FA signings - meaning a longer rebuild than Schlenk said initially.

Simple - Bud didn't want to be here for that and Schlenk was only too happy to see him leave to bring in his own guy. A mutual parting of the ways.

Nothing for Illyasova, Nothing for Belinelli and Nothing for Bud and paying him his contract - I'm watching you Schlenkly with a side eye.

From the ASG and infighting ending up in court, the Levenson letter, the Ferry Fiasco, forcing to sell the team, the Wilcox debacle and now the whole Bud will he or won't he stay - the Hawks just can't get right. It's ALWAYS something with this team. Sigh.

#IWonderWhyIStillRootForThisTeam

#Hawk4Life!!!

Go Hawks!!

Yup Asked myself the same thing...after realizing all of that 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Some people disagree with your assessment!

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, KB21 said:

I don't see that as idiotic at all.  We won 24 games trying to lose games - some more blatant than others.

Dedmon missed 20 games which also overlapped with John Collins missing games also overlapping with Muscala missing games all BEFORE the Allstar game.

I will surmise if all were healthy our record would have been better before the AS break. Add in the season ending 'injuries' to Bazemore and Dennis, the trade of Illy and Beli this team would have easily hit 30 wins.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

John Collins did not!

You asked why Babbit played over Illyasova.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Also, the reason Babbitt started was because Ersan was out with a bruised knee.

Really?

• Like 2