• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

42 minutes ago, JTB said:

Ok what’s the scoop on Lloyd Pierce? I won’t knock the hiring until I know a bit more.

Read back through this thread just above your comment, there’s some decent info and such posted about Pierce.

Edited by hazer

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You are supposed to be positive about the hiring whether there is anything positive about it or not.

Shouldn’t he supposed to be negative about the hiring whether there is anything negative about it or not?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Shouldn’t he supposed to be negative about the hiring whether there is anything negative about it or not?

Oh, I think there is quite a bit to be negative about.  The Hawks are about to hire an assistant coach from the organization that has more losses than any other organization in the NBA over the past 5 years.  It says everything about the direction of this team.

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Oh, I think there is quite a bit to be negative about.  The Hawks are about to hire an assistant coach from the organization that has more losses than any other organization in the NBA over the past 5 years.  It says everything about the direction of this team.

Of course you do. Your first 3 words say it all: “Oh, I think”. You’re not an NBA scout, GM, exec, coach, analyst, player, or anything else to do with professional basketball. We already know your automatic agenda and opinion.

Where there’s quite a bit of actual, legitimate, non-agenda, NBA-related opinion to be positive about is the analyst’s quote I listed several times showing that Pierce is highly regarded as someone upcoming to watch among the broadest swath of NBA people he’s ever heard.

That happened, and wasn’t just what you think...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Of course you do. You’re first 3 words say it all, however: “Oh, I think”. You’re not an NBA scout, GM, exec, coach, analyst, player, or anything else to do with professional basketball. We already know your automatic agenda and opinion.

Where there’s quite a bit of actual, legitimate, non-agenda, NBA-related opinion to be positive about is the quote I listed several times showing that Pierce is highly regarded as someone upcoming to watch among the broadest swath of NBA people he’s ever heard.

That happened, and wasn’t just what you think...

He's so highly regarded that he didn't get a single other interview to be a head coach.  Let's not forget that Jarron Collins was highly regarded in that article as well, and like Lloyd Pierce, he didn't get a single other interview for a head coaching job.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He's so highly regarded that he didn't get a single other interview to be a head coach.  Let's not forget that Jarron Collins was highly regarded in that article as well, and like Lloyd Pierce, he didn't get a single other interview for a head coaching job.  

I’m not interested in popularity contests or groupthink, I’m interesting in getting ahead of the curve. Collins may someday be a good choice, but compare Pierce’s years of coaching experience vs Collins. That’s a bit TOO far ahead of the curve. Pierce has many many years on Collins, so that’s false equivalency.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DBac said:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-narrow-coach-search-four-candidates/N3DXvwxFdRFWwTWoeShPTK/

Alright so the finalists are Lloyd, Silas, Tibbets, and Larranaga.

I remember when the Falcons hired Jim Mora. According to the reports I read our GM was blown away with Mora's interview and the playbook he brought along with him. Right after Mora's interview, our GM reportedly called Blank and said you have to talk to this guy. Mora was hired soon afterwards and proved to be lacking as a head coach.

No rash decisions, interview them all. I like how this part of the process is moving along.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, GameTime said:

1. Larranga

2. Pierce

3. Tibbets

4. Silas 

In that order for me.

I like Pierce the most now. Tibbets and Larranaga are a wash to me as a 2nd choice. I am always wary of coaches sons. Now if Silas gets the nod, I am behind him 100%. That would also mean he had two great interviews.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like Pierce the most now. Tibbets and Larranaga are a wash to me as a 2nd choice. I am always wary of coaches sons. Now if Silas gets the nod, I am behind him 100%. That would also mean he had two great interviews.

At least you'll be behind the coach and support him and the team.  That's a novel thought 

• Like 3

Yeah.  I'm not buying that there are "four finalists".  I think the Hawks put that out there to make it look like they haven't settled on a guy.  Where there is smoke, there is fire, and when you have Brett Brown talking about how Lloyd Pierce should be the next head coach of the Hawks, then there is a pretty good chance that Pierce has been told that he's the guy.

2 hours ago, DBac said:

Lebron says Pierce is one of his favorite coaches ever. I dunno how much Lebron listens to his coach but yeah there's that.

Lebron gets a coach fired and nearly gives another one a heart attack.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Oh wait. Is it OK to post this since he is talking about how the Hawks are going through the same process as the 76ers?

That is precisely the sort of thing that is fine to post.  If you want to go on to talk about how that acknowledges we are taking and the fact of tanking makes this the most or least attractive jobs then that should be in the tanking thread.

• Like 4