• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Search is over; Pierce is the man!

Buzzard

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Hmmmmm.

Doesn't that question only have relevance if you're actually trying to win games?

This has the marks of a tweener hire, imo.

I would have liked to have thought that Schlenk had a guy that was really "his guy," not unlike our last coaching hire was the GM's guy. This feels more like this is his guy until he isn't his guy... just the winner of the interview contest... not someone coming in who Schlenk considers to be the cornerstone of his legacy of his Hawks tenure.

Who knows, maybe though we catch lightning in a bottle. I sure wasn't one who thought that Popovich guy was going to amount to anything. But patting myself on the back just a little, I don't think I've been wrong very often. But maybe it can be said on my tombstone that when I was wrong, I was Popovich-like wrong. Maybe.

Even if you are developing the young players, there has to be an offensive and defensive philosophy, style of play etc.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Even if you are developing the young players, there has to be an offensive and defensive philosophy, style of play etc.

Absolutely, there necessarily will be.

But my point is... why does it even matter what the philosophy will be?

It's more just a pursuit of curiosity than it is anything worthy of care or concern... no?

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  You and I have been around a while.  We suffered through the 1999-2006 seasons.  There are a lot on here who simply don't realize the misery of those 8 nonplayoff seasons.  

Hey let those who want to be happy be happy...

i think those who been around know in the back of their head knows this has a bigger chance staying south than going north due to how Atlanta sports have been in their history especially with the hawks however it’s ok to be optimistic and have some damn hope as a fan of the team.

Like you i wish we kept bud but it’s time to get over it. I HOPE pierce turns out to be absolutely great and makes both of us wrong about this whole tank process ! Lol seriously

Hope we have some crazy ass out of no where success next season or the season after next so schlenk can say “I told you so”

Hope schlenk draft absolute studs and nails every damn pick like Danny ainge .....

i wont knock anything until I see the product...I don’t feel overly joyful and don’t feel upset about anything at this point. I’m just in a wait and see approach.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

It's more just a pursuit of curiosity than it is anything worthy of care or concern... no?

The team did not hire this coach to lose games on purpose!  You know the mods should just create a separate thread for those that think that the team will not compete for 20 years and let you complain to each other.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well it's important to know if he'll be an ISO guy or Pace and Space. Will it be run n gun like Houston or slow and methodical like Utah. Will he have a switch all PnR on defense like Woody? 

It matters and I want to know. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The team did not hire this coach to lose games on purpose!  You know the mods should just create a separate thread for those that think that the team will not compete for 20 years and let you complain to each other.

I recognize that it can feel that way to those who by nature want to look at the sunny side of life.

But.

I'm one of you.

It is not my history to be pessimistic. To the contrary, it is my history to be about as optimistic as pragmatism can possibly... possssssssssibly... allow.

And therein lies the point here... it's just not pragmatic to view the Hawks through the wins-losses paradigm since, clearly, that's not the paradigm... it is a total focus on player development that management is taking, and it only follows that the rest of us are not fools to view it through the paradigm they're chronically parroting.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well it's important to know if he'll be an ISO guy or Pace and Space. Will it be run n gun like Houston or slow and methodical like Utah. Will he have a switch all PnR on defense like Woody? 

It matters and I want to know. 

Sooooo... a curiosity pursuit.

Fair enough. It's a free country.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's like they think we are new to this. Like they're the only long suffering Hawks fan.

My first live Hawks game, woke tgat morning Nique got traded - and I'm still here rooting for this team. I'm a glutten for punishment I guess.

Bulls SMACKED us in my first game. Hated Jordan ever since XD

• Like 2

Don't feel too strongly any way about this. Will wait to hear what his philosophies are / how assistants shake out but optimistic because:

1. He actually wanted to be here.

2. Players loooooove this guy. Pretty much universally. And he's been around top shelf players and guys that needed to grind their way through from the very bottom.

3. He's worked with a Spurs disciple as well as Mike D'Antoni so I'm hopeful about his choice in style of offense.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I recognize that it can feel that way to those who by nature want to look at the sunny side of life.

But.

I'm one of you.

It is not my history to be pessimistic. To the contrary, it is my history to be about as optimistic as pragmatic.

And therein lies the point here... it's just not pragmatic to view the Hawks through the wins-losses paradigm since, clearly, that's not the paradigm... it is a total focus on player development that management is taking, and it only follows that the rest of us are not fools to view it through the paradigm they're chronically parroting.

Nobody is saying this team is winning a championship but they won't be trying to lose either.  I'm predicting there will be no more Bumblee/Cavanaugh playing ahead of Dedmon and Collins nonsense or Delaney playing 40 minutes per game this year and that alone will make the games more enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

My first game ever was us against Dr. J and the 76ers. Tree Rollins did the unthinkable and put up 20 points in a win over them. That was such a good game!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I don't even remember who we played, I was so  pissed about Nique and seeing Danny Manning on the bench instead of watching the Human Higlight film. Smh.

Edited by JayBirdHawk
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I have. Losing Ted Turner as our principal owner, trading Nique. The ASG, BK,  Woody fiasco. You can throw in the Shareef for Gasol and Smitty for JR Rider and Jim Jackson trades.

This is nothing compared to the above. We have a new principal owner who has shown he will spend money. He is paying two head coaches right now and spent a pretty large fortune on players under Bud's guidance. We have picks, youth, and very soon cap space. Today we hired a new coach that has an outstanding reputation around the league to guide them.

The glass is either half full or it is half empty. No one controls how any of us see this.

Have to agree, I've seen the franchise lower than this. Absolutely.

And I actually wouldn't mind at all where we sit, given our young players and draft assets... except for what has transpired since the end of the season.

Freely admit, it might all just be my own impression, but Schlenk gives me so precious little to hang any confidence hat on.

Holding on to Bud would have allowed continued confidence... the Schlenk/Bud relationship NEEDED to be a strong partnership, and that should have been top priority from the git-go. It most clearly wasn't, and we had strong evidence of that from the very start.

Even with Bud leaving, having Schlenk seem (yes, "seem"... have to allow room that I'm just uninformed) to have "his guy" out there who he himself considered to be key to the next chapter in the Hawks' upward climb, would have lent some confidence. But so much for that.

He just doesn't seem to be what we thought he was when he got the job.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Nobody is saying this team is winning a championship but they won't be trying to lose either.  I'm predicting there will be no more Bumblee/Cavanaugh playing ahead of Dedmon and Collins nonsense or Delaney playing 40 minutes per game this year and that alone will make the games more enjoyable for me.

So you're saying wins will matter 51% or more than player development?

I'm sorry, but there's just zero evidence of that... surely you won't try to disagree (???).

ALL THE MORE SO given this coaching hire which virtually everyone acknowledges has hinged on identifying a cheap inexperienced coach with a reputation as a player development coach.

Where am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Heck I go all the way back to John Drew, Eddie Johnson, Steve Hawes, Dan Roundtree, Tom McMillen, Chalie Criss, Terry Furlow days

My avatar is the reason I'm a Hawks fan today... Pistol, Sweet Lou and the Bell.

Have to agree, I've seen the franchise lower than this. Absolutely.

And I actually wouldn't mind at all where we sit, given our young players and draft assets... except for what has transpired since the end of the season.

Freely admit, it might all just be my own impression, but Schlenk gives me so precious little to hang any confidence hat on.

Holding on to Bud would have allowed continued confidence... the Schlenk/Bud relationship NEEDED to be a strong partnership, and that should have been top priority from the git-go. It most clearly wasn't, and we had strong evidence of that from the very start.

Even with Bud leaving, having Schlenk seem (yes, "seem"... have to allow room that I'm just uninformed) to have "his guy" out there who he himself considered to be key to the next chapter in the Hawks' upward climb, would have lent some confidence. But so much for that.

He just doesn't seem to be what we thought he was when he got the job.

I think he saw us and our cap space as a train wreck. If we would have held onto Horford, he may have seen us differently. But no Horford, no Teague, no Korver, and only SAP as our remaining all-star from that 60 win season must have looked pretty ugly.

That is my opinion and I think he would be justified in looking at us that way.

• Premium Member

So you're saying wins will matter 51% or more than player development?

I'm sorry, but there's just zero evidence of that... surely you won't try to disagree (???).

ALL THE MORE SO given this coaching hire which virtually everyone acknowledges has hinged on identifying a cheap inexperienced coach with a reputation as a player development coach.

Where am I wrong?

Who cares about wins now??? if we win we win but if we win only 35 games..So what?  If we are developing players like Collins, Dedmon,Bembry, Dennis, Prince, Cleveland, Taylor, Bazemore and our draft choices as oppose to Cavanaugh, Magette, Babbitt, Delaney, Lee etc. What's the daggone problem?

16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Heck I go all the way back to John Drew, Eddie Johnson, Steve Hawes, Dan Roundtree, Tom McMillen, Chalie Criss, Terry Furlow days

Dan Roundfield and Tree Rollins were my first favorite players I saw play. I read about Pistol Pete but never saw him play. Drug Drew, as some not so kindly referred to him back then, was never one of my favorites; but he was good and I did get to see him play.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Dan Roundfield and Tree Rollins were my first favorite players I saw play. I read about Pistol Pete but never saw him play. Drug Drew, as some not so kindly referred to him back then, was never one of my favorites; but he was good and I did get to see him play.

Eddie Johnson was my guy back then before his drug issues.

• Like 1