• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So the Hawks win the lottery, who should we take and why?

NBASupes

So the Hawks win the lottery, who should we take and why?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Flight said:

1 - Sample size is too small for me to believe he's a bad shooter

2 - Judging from when? His not completely healthy return from a back injury??

3 - Outside of Jaren Jackson, Mikal Bridges and possibly Bamba, you can pretty much throw poor defender on anyone. And it's the NBA, majority of young talent aren't great defenders.

4 - First of all I have no idea where you're judging this from, second not only is he not playing a position that requires him to do a lot of distributing, he's literally never been on a team that had him in a role of anything less than being the primary scoring option.

He's only 19, he's 6-10, can handle the ball like a guard and finding ways to score is his strong suit. Our team lacks a player that can be a primary scorer and you want to ignore MPJ's obvious potential to be that because of some flaws you found watching him playing off an injury.....cool.

You are talking to KB, he doesn't actually watch any of these players play. He mainly just looks up stats and reads blog sites with different online draftniks

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've not seen anything to indicate he does much with his dribbling.  Here are two writeups on him (highlighted the discussion of dribbling):

ESPN/Draft Express Writeup on Him

8. Michael Porter Jr. | SF/PF | Age: 19.8 | Missouri

Arguably the most decorated high school player in his class, the RSCI No. 2 recruit was historically productive on the Nike EYBL circuit. He struggled in a preseason scrimmage against Kansas and eventually left the Tigers' season opener against Iowa State due to injury after two minutes of action. Porter underwent back surgery in late November and was expected to miss the entire 2017-18 campaign. After close to four months off, he made something of a surprise return for the SEC and NCAA tournaments, looking understandably out of shape. The pre-draft process will be crucial, as teams will want to dig deeper into his medical file while also researching the type of teammate he was during his time at Missouri, as his background intel has been far from glowing. From a talent perspective, Porter is one of the more gifted players in this draft. -- Schmitz

Strengths

• Excellent size and reach for a modern forward (9-foot standing reach). Light on his feet when healthy.

• Versatile scorer as a mismatch 4. Impressive on-the-move shooter for a player his size. Can pick-and-pop to space, sprint off screens or rise up off the dribble, even from beyond NBA 3 at times.

• Good instincts on the glass and defensively when fully engaged.

Improvement areas

• Plays with a high center of gravity and slight hunch on both ends. Struggles to beat opposing wings off the dribble. Questions about his long-term health and durability.

• Not the toughest prospect you'll find, partially due to his thin base. Gets knocked off balance on his way to the rim.

• Doesn't think the game at a high level. Plays catch-and-hold basketball. One of the oldest freshmen in the draft.

Projected role: Mismatch forward

NBADraft Writeup

NBA Comparison: Kevin Durant/Joe Johnson

Strengths: It's not often that you find an elite level size/shooter/athlete package at the high school level ... Extremely mature, focused and hard working individual ... Smooth and athletic wing forward with high level intangibles and competitiveness … Possesses tremendous size for a wing forward at 6'10 with a 7'0 wingspan and 9'0 foot standing reach ... Could transition to being a face up four in today's "play up a position" NBA ... Possesses good coordination, fluidity, and versatility … Smooth shooting stroke with proper form, rotation, and arc ... Draws fouls at a high rate ... Reliable free throw shooter, shot 81.2% over the Nike EYBL and 86% his senior year at Nathan Hale. Gets great elevation with his shot combined with his size and length, can rise and shoot over the top of the defense ... Excels in catch and shoot situations as well as one or minimal dribble pull ups ... Highly efficient and consistent scorer ... A pure shooter ... Shot very well from three at 47% his senior year ... Nearly automatic from midrange ... Threat to score from anywhere within the half court ... Moves well off the ball … High level athlete with great run and jump ability, especially at his height ... Finishes well in transition ... Quick off the ground. Has impressive second jump, giving him an edge on tip-ins and put backs. Good rebounder ... Crashes offensive boards after nearly every missed shot … Plays well within the offense; doesn’t force his scoring or try to do too much. Squares up on the move and gets his feet set quickly. Stays balanced and shows good body control when he shoots on the move. Uses screens and curls well … Plays the baseline well … Has good potential as a perimeter defender with his length and ability to move his feet. Solid shot blocking ability … Solid court vision and passing ability … Strength has improved over the past year …

Weaknesses: Better ability to attack the rim off the bounce would add to his scoring arsenal ... Tends to rely on shooting over the defense in the half court ... Ball handling has improved but still needs to improve his overall ball skills, especially with his left hand ... Straight line driver lacking in creativity and doesn’t break down the defense ... Doesn’t create much off the dribble or have a lot of shiftiness in his game ... Has to move without the ball and have separation before receiving it to create space … Relies on outjumping opponents at this stage, will need to improve offensive game moving forward ... His pull up game can be predictable and won’t come as easy at the next level ... If his shot isn’t falling, he doesn’t always have a way to get easy baskets ... Can improve his offensive post game … Doesn’t make many decisions with the ball in a triple threat position, generally shoots off the catch or looks to give the ball up after minimal dribbles ... His aggression and physicality doesn’t always match his natural ability ... Should look to add strength and toughness ... Playing against more physical defenders moving forward may take some adjusting … Can improve upon finishing in traffic …

Outlook: Measured 6’10’’ in shoes, with a 7'0’’wingspan, 9'0 standing reach and 216 lbs at the 2017 Nike Hoop Summit ... Measured 6’10’’ in shoes, with a 6’10’’ wingspan and 195 lbs at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy ... Measured 6'8, 188 lbs, with a 6'9 wingspan at the 2014 Nike Elite 100 ... Measured 6'7.5 without shoes, 6'8.5 with shoes, 193 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan and 8'10.5 standing reach at the 2014 USA Junior National Team Mini Camp ... Widely projected as the likely #1 pick for the 2018 draft and many scouts feel he would be first in the drafts before and after his ... Incoming Missouri freshman. After an impressive Nike EYBL season, leading MOKAN Elite to win Peach Jam, Porter went on to lead Nathan Hale to an undefeated season going 29-0 (turning around a team with a previous record of 3-18), beating the likes of Sierra Canyon and Oak Hill Academy while averaging 34.8 points and 13.8 rebounds on the season, including 28 points and 17 rebounds in the Washington state 3A title game. Porter was named MVP of the McDonald’s All American game with 17 points and eight rebounds. Tied a game high 19 points at the Nike Hoop Summit … Naismith Player of the Year ... 

• Like 2

From actually watching him play you can assume his preference is shooting over the top of defenders because obviously he's 6'10 and most defenders don't make a difference to his shot. His style is similar to KD's when he was younger, you're not going to see him try to dribble a ton as if he thinks he's Kyrie Irving.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

My top 5 are Ayton, Doncic, Bamba, Bagley, JJJ.

I have a question for you because I think a lot of people would agree with your top 5.  Considering the lessening impact of the big man and the way the game is called now, would you consider elevating some guards on your list?

I don't disagree that a lot of the bigs seem like higher-upside guys, but I think they'll be limited unless they display guard skills.  I don't see JJJ or Bagley doing that, JMHO, so I have them lower. 

My top 5: Ayton, Bamba, Porter, Sexton, Doncic

Edited by kg01
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I have a question for you because I think a lot of people would agree with your top 5.  Considering the lessening impact of the big man and the way the game is called now, would you consider elevating some guards on your list?

I don't disagree that a lot of the bigs seem like higher-upside guys, but I think they'll be limited unless they display guard skills.  I don't see JJJ or Bagley doing that, JMHO, so I have them lower. 

My top 5: Ayton, Bamba, Porter, Sexton, Doncic

I agree with his list too.  However, I believe the Hawks will try to be at the top of the lottery the first two years of the rebuild to acquire talent.  The VERY good bigs are in this draft, but next year's draft  has plenty of  shooting guards/small forwards at the top of the draft.   

I'd love to take Ayton, Bagley, Bamba this year and pair them with a Cammeron Reddish or RJ Barnett from next year's draft. 

My vision for the Hawks is to get two primary scorers with the ability to be good to great defenders from these upcoming drafts.   Ayton and Reddish could potentially accomplish that. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Doncic for me.  He has excelled at the highest level of basketball played by any of these guys; has the greatest track record of any Euro prospect in history; has shown significant development the last few years; and has a fire in him when he competes on the floor.  I think he's got a fantastic feel for the game that comes with those young players who just have that high natural BBIQ (think LeBron's rookie season where he already showed a great sense for passing, scoring and positioning -- not comparing the two as players just that feel for the game).  I think he's got a high floor and high ceiling.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doncic for me.  He has excelled at the highest level of basketball played by any of these guys; has the greatest track record of any Euro prospect in history; has shown significant development the last few years; and has a fire in him when he competes on the floor.  I think he's got a fantastic feel for the game that comes with those young players who just have that high natural BBIQ (think LeBron's rookie season where he already showed a great sense for passing, scoring and positioning -- not comparing the two as players just that feel for the game).  I think he's got a high floor and high ceiling.  

Are you not worried about his slowness? I remember the last tweener from Europe who was slow as molasses and was hyped to be a superstar: Šarūnas Jasikevičius

Edited by NBASupes

Look at Doncic 3PM percentage: Luka Doncic – 19, Real Madrid, Spain (46.8 FG%, 32.3 3P%, 16.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.4 APG in the 2017-18 season)

Do we really think he's going to translate with ease? On top of that, he's slow. The NBA is a fast game. We seen guys who was just below average in Europe become stars here like Giannis and guys who were stars there become busts like Šarūnas Jasikevičius 

• Like 3

• Moderators

LMAO at comparing him to Jasikevicius.  You are seriously comparing him to a guy who went in the 6th round of the NBA draft (127th overall)?  Really?  Kasten got the pick voided but nobody had him as this type of prospect.  He did go on to win the 6th man of the year award so he had some talent but this is just a terrible comparison.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Look at Doncic 3PM percentage: Luka Doncic – 19, Real Madrid, Spain (46.8 FG%, 32.3 3P%, 16.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.4 APG in the 2017-18 season)

Do we really think he's going to translate with ease? On top of that, he's slow. The NBA is a fast game. We seen guys who was just below average in Europe become stars here like Giannis and guys who were stars there become busts like Šarūnas Jasikevičius 

I don't think he's slow. I think he lacks explosion, but he's strong enough for a guard and plays with enough motor that I don't think it's a problem. I see the concerns with his jumpshot and touch though.

If the hawks win the lottery tomorrow night it’s no doubt they are drafting Ayton or Doncic. No need to pick im 100% sure if hawks land number one pick it will be one of them. 

But if we don’t get the number one I still believe we are drafting Trae Young:

-Trae is Schlenks poor man Curry

-one of two of Traes favorite players he said he tries to mimic his game after happens to be hall of fame player Steve Nash who newly hawks coach Pierce played with in college 

-Trae is the easiest and MOST marketable player in this whole draft (at least until he shows what he actual got on the court )and I bring this point up for owner Resslers pockets

-I still don’t believe Schlenk likes Dennis very much even if it is just fans perception , I’m not expecting Dennis to remain a hawk at end of the day.

I say hawks won’t get the first pick in all likelihood but will get the opportunity to draft Trae Young at the pick they do get and will draft him.