• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk is a motherf*@*ing monster!

NBASupes

I'm no revisionist, but the inside information and postering was utterly ridiculous.  Schlenk was as transparent as magic tape and it was out early that he wanted Young.  My only issue is if Doncic is your guy which we were all lead to believe, why put up the ridiculous facade that we would have to be blown away to trade him? (If the trade was us being blown away, we got low standards)!

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

I'm no revisionist, but the inside information and postering was utterly ridiculous.  Schlenk was as transparent as magic tape and it was out early that he wanted Young.  My only issue is if Doncic is your guy which we were all lead to believe, why put up the ridiculous facade that we would have to be blown away to trade him? (If the trade was us being blown away, we got low standards)!

To be fair, it was widely known who everyone wanted at the top of the draft. I'm not sure why these teams cant hold water.

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The deals were there to be made with Memphis and Orlando.

Oh, were they now?

Speaking so surely about this stuff is why this whole thread is just a silly, fantastical exercise.

29 minutes ago, drzachary said:

Oh, were they now?

Speaking so surely about this stuff is why this whole thread is just a silly, fantastical exercise.

Maybe.  We aren't GM'S nor were we in the room, but what we do know is that Dallas was the perfect trade down partner (Orlando MAY have grabbed Young).   However, I maintain that Young was Schlenk's goal all along  and it was as transparent as Billy Knight loving Sheldon Williams. You want Doncic...drop that protection.  As the draft went on...we'd have had a better chance to get it  IMHO.

Ok, so that is easy enough.  Where the issue lies is maximizing the assets you have.  Fine, you got a trade done.  I have no issue with Huerter, but preferred Walker. I think Spellman could have been had at 34 and you perhaps trade 30.  Or  package 19/30 to get a better talent earlier in the lottery.  (That's just my take on being aggressive).  Or there was also good talent in the second round...use the pick!

inherently....picks in the lottery weren't traded this year.  Most everyone fell in love with their guy and didn't trade.  If we're riverboat gambling though, we should have gone for the jackpot.  I don't know that Schlenk didn't, but it didn't FEEL like it.  Next year seems an eternity away....

I view the draft favorably on the whole but it could have been a slam dunk. We will soon find out.

9 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Maybe.  We aren't GM'S nor were we in the room, but what we do know is that Dallas was the perfect trade down partner (Orlando MAY have grabbed Young).   However, I maintain that Young was Schlenk's goal all along  and it was as transparent as Billy Knight loving Sheldon Williams. You want Doncic...drop that protection.  As the draft went on...we'd have had a better chance to get it  IMHO.

Ok, so that is easy enough.  Where the issue lies is maximizing the assets you have.  Fine, you got a trade done.  I have no issue with Huerter, but preferred Walker. I think Spellman could have been had at 34 and you perhaps trade 30.  Or  package 19/30 to get a better talent earlier in the lottery.  (That's just my take on being aggressive).  Or there was also good talent in the second round...use the pick!

inherently....picks in the lottery weren't traded this year.  Most everyone fell in love with their guy and didn't trade.  If we're riverboat gambling though, we should have gone for the jackpot.  I don't know that Schlenk didn't, but it didn't FEEL like it.  Next year seems an eternity away....

I view the draft favorably on the whole but it could have been a slam dunk. We will soon find out.

If you really believe in a players ability to stick, it is better from the teams perspective to lock him into a cheap 1st round contract. 2nd round picks can accept a required tender for one year and then renegotiate after just one year. Even if your 2nd round pick is on a two year deal; a good player can really cash in after year two if they went in the 2nd round.

If Schlenk thinks Spellman will stick, keeping him locked up for 3 years plus a option is very good business. Taking Spellman at 30, could turn in to one of the best moves in the draft for late picks. Sneaky smart as hell.

52 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If you really believe in a players ability to stick, it is better from the teams perspective to lock him into a cheap 1st round contract. 2nd round picks can accept a required tender for one year and then renegotiate after just one year. Even if your 2nd round pick is on a two year deal; a good player can really cash in after year two if they went in the 2nd round.

If Schlenk thinks Spellman will stick, keeping him locked up for 3 years plus a option is very good business. Taking Spellman at 30, could turn in to one of the best moves in the draft for late picks. Sneaky smart as hell.

Maybe.  But he still didn't maximize his 'assets'. No sooner than I posted that, Chris Guest from Soaring Down South wrote:

The franchise must’ve had a clear-cut pecking order and an idea of exactly who would be available at each spot – no matter if it felt like a reach or not.

The selection of Omari Spellman at #30, for instance, was a clear reach as he would’ve most likely been available at #34 overall where the Hawks should’ve selected in the second round. The team could’ve focused on taking first round talents who fell, like Khyri Thomasor Keita Bates-Diop, but instead they opted for a reportedly sweet-shooting big man in Spellman – whose skill set clashes quite viciously with John Collins (reigning All-Rookie Second Team member).

However, when they were not inflexible, they seemingly made major missteps – the trading of the #34 picksprings to mind. Instead of packaging #34 and #30 to move up a few spots for a higher-echelon prospect, the team instead opted to dismiss the pick entirely for the promise of two future second rounders from the Hornets.

Like I said, I don't think we did bad per se, but it could have been much better.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, deester11 said:

You do that if Young is your guy but you know everyone else wants Doncic because you know Young will still be there when you trade back.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, deester11 said:

but instead they opted for a reportedly sweet-shooting big man in Spellman – whose skill set clashes quite viciously with John Collins (reigning All-Rookie Second Team member).

Spellman is nothing like John Collins.  Who in the heck wrote that?????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Maybe.  But he still didn't maximize his 'assets'. No sooner than I posted that, Chris Guest from Soaring Down South wrote:

The franchise must’ve had a clear-cut pecking order and an idea of exactly who would be available at each spot – no matter if it felt like a reach or not.

The selection of Omari Spellman at #30, for instance, was a clear reach as he would’ve most likely been available at #34 overall where the Hawks should’ve selected in the second round. The team could’ve focused on taking first round talents who fell, like Khyri Thomasor Keita Bates-Diop, but instead they opted for a reportedly sweet-shooting big man in Spellman – whose skill set clashes quite viciously with John Collins (reigning All-Rookie Second Team member).

However, when they were not inflexible, they seemingly made major missteps – the trading of the #34 picksprings to mind. Instead of packaging #34 and #30 to move up a few spots for a higher-echelon prospect, the team instead opted to dismiss the pick entirely for the promise of two future second rounders from the Hornets.

Like I said, I don't think we did bad per se, but it could have been much better.

This is called a draft board by most and not pecking order. And words like "most likely" are not very reassuring if you have him penciled in as a 1st round talent but miss him because you listen to a reporter named Chris Guest.

Chris is clearly a lost puppy if he thinks a stretch big like Spellman clashes with Collins. I am looking forward to seeing a lineup of Prince, Collins, and Spellman on the floor this season. The make believe fantasy trades are always funny. As if Chris had a wiretap on Schlenks phone and knew every offer made and turned down on draft night.

I guess it is like this for some:

Whatever the reporter says is what I think and take as the gospel. Go read something else to help you think.

I am solid with what I think. I gave us an A and did not need a reporter to tell me to do that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Spellman is nothing like John Collins.  Who in the heck wrote that?????

Chris Guest of Soaring Down South. A ad soaked web site that pretty much just pukes rubbish out every other hour to sell their ads.

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

This is called a draft board by most and not pecking order. And words like "most likely" are not very reassuring if you have him penciled in as a 1st round talent but miss him because you listen to a reporter named Chris Guest.

Chris is clearly a lost puppy if he thinks a stretch big like Spellman clashes with Collins. I am looking forward to seeing a lineup of Prince, Collins, and Spellman on the floor this season. The make believe fantasy trades are always funny. As if Chris had a wiretap on Schlenks phone and knew every offer made and turned down on draft night.

I guess it is like this for some:

Whatever the reporter says is what I think and take as the gospel. Go read something else to help you think.

I am solid with what I think. I gave us an A and did not need a reporter to tell me to do that.

What moron takes anything a reporter says as gospel? Get off the sauce.  In my opinion we didn't maximize assets.  Drink the kool-aid, makes no difference to me.  My posts have already Indicated I like the draft.  If you think we did perfect, good for you.  

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

What moron takes anything a reporter says as gospel? Get off the sauce.  In my opinion we didn't maximize assets.  Drink the kool-aid, makes no difference to me.  My posts have already Indicated I like the draft.  If you think we did perfect, good for you.  

There is no perfect. That is the problem most fans have. Instead of finding the "A" or the "B" they prefer to complain about not getting a A+ ( perfect ).

Why didn't we trade this for that or that for this? Fantasy trade, fantasy trade, fantasy trade. That rubbish is not kool-aid, it is just the same shit, different day. The team that got all their picks perfect last night probably does not exist.

The perfect in all likelihood will be had a year or two after the draft; when those who are miserable enough can look back and complain about why we did not take this player instead.

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

There is no perfect. That is the problem most fans have. Instead of finding the "A" or the "B" they prefer to complain about not getting a A+ ( perfect ).

Why didn't we trade this for that or that for this? Fantasy trade, fantasy trade, fantasy trade. That rubbish is not kool-aid, it is just the same shit, different day. The team that got all their picks perfect last night probably does not exist.

The perfect in all likelihood will be had a year or two after the draft; when those who are miserable enough can look back and complain about why we did not take this player instead.

Then reference those people instead of blanket statements.  Views differ.  I'm still pissed that KB was right on a lot of stuff.  It's what fans do.  I'm not thinking grades.  Care less.  I do care that my team makes moves that mean success.  Some u like, some u don't.  Oh well.

In other news, Doncic asked if he could keep his Hawk's hat as a souvenir.  Lol

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The team that got all their picks perfect last night probably does not exist.

Careful...You might have some Doncic worshipers taking exception to you Dissing Dallas' perfect draft.  LOL!

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Careful...You might have some Doncic worshipers taking exception to you Dissing Dallas' perfect draft.  LOL!

I can't give out likes but that cracked me up!