• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WELCOME HOME TRAE!!!

JTB

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I don't see much difference there but we can watch the numbers next year and see how many butts he puts in seats.  Otherwise, I think it will be more about an exciting team as opposed to someone putting up big numbers on a bad team.  Falcons seem to have done just fine with Matt Ryan in at QB and Doncic is a lot more charismatic than Ryan.

Matt Ryan is the most criticized player year in year out by the fanbase lol. A year removed from one of the best season's by a QB ever and seemingly 8 out of 10 FB and Twitter comments was blasting the front office for extending him. Some Atlanta fans still rank Vick above Ryan, which is insane, but true. Black exciting athletes draw crowds in ATL, and that's a fact. Even when we were missing the playoffs with Vick, people showed up. Not the same during the Ryan era. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Matt Ryan is the most criticized player year in year out by the fanbase lol. A year removed from one of the best season's by a QB ever and seemingly 8 out of 10 FB and Twitter comments was blasting the front office for extending him. Some Atlanta fans still rank Vick above Ryan, which is insane, but true. Black exciting athletes draw crowds in ATL, and that's a fact. Even when we were missing the playoffs with Vick, people showed up. Not the same during the Ryan era. 

100% COSIGN

• Moderators
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Vick was a scintillating superstar.  Had Atlanta brought in Tyrod Taylor or Dak Prescott or Jameis Winston I don't think any of them would get anything different than Ryan gets today (which hasn't stopped people from getting in their seats while the Falcons contend).  None of them would get close to the adoration that Vick got.

3 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Now people are saying LukaBroken English Doncic who is unathletic and slow is just as marketable as Trae???

Oh my sweet baby Geezus lol

Let's compare jersey sales at year end and see who ranks where.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Vick was a scintillating superstar.  Had Atlanta brought in Tyrod Taylor or Dak Prescott or Jameis Winston I don't think any of them would get anything different than Ryan gets today (which hasn't stopped people from getting in their seats while the Falcons contend).  None of them would get close to the adoration that Vick got.

Yea I can't wait

• Moderators
Just now, Bonkers said:

Yea I can't wait

I hope you are right because I'd love to have a star for the Hawks.  Been a while since we had anyone with both real substance and sizzle to them.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Well, those comparisons don't hold water for the simple fact that Matt Ryan is 5 times the player any of those guys is. He has more playoff appearances, wins, MVPs, yards, TD,s etc. than all of them put together. The real question would be if Matt Ryan was black and hip, if he would be as maligned by local fans as he is today. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Well, those comparisons don't hold water for the simple fact that Matt Ryan is 5 times the player any of those guys is. He has more playoff appearances, wins, MVPs, yards, TD,s etc. than all of them put together. The real question would be if Matt Ryan was black and hip, if he would be as maligned by local fans as he is today. 

Real question is whether if Matt Ryan was black and not hip would attendance spike up from where it is today.  If Matt Ryan stayed white and was hip that would boost his popularity as well.  I would guess that neither a black and same boring profile Ryan nor a white and hip Ryan would make much difference in the attendance numbers.

So one last thought on the Trae 'trade' people may not be considering.

If you take and keep Doncic, you still don't have a real NBA point guard. You are the position you guard and Doncic can't guard NBA 1's and never will (Trae at least can improve). So here is the real deal.

Trae + future 1st  + ability to clear Dennis' $15.5 million salary + 1 million less in salary on the pick. 

for

Doncic.

Assuming you can dump Dennis on someone, this pick theoretically also creates $16.5 million in cap space.

Additionally, Doncic would have been a 2 for you, which would replace Baze (similar deal) but means you take a different player at 19 (probably a backup point guard). Huerter's position is what Doncic would have played.  So not taking Doncic meant getting Huerter but not taking some mystery pick at 19.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Real question is whether if Matt Ryan was black and not hip would attendance spike up from where it is today.  If Matt Ryan stayed white and was hip that would boost his popularity as well.  I would guess that neither a black and same boring profile Ryan nor a white and hip Ryan would make much difference in the attendance numbers.

Well let's also consider  the fact that in Atlanta, being "hip" is synonymous with embracing black culture, so anybody who is hip necessarily will be marketing themselves to the black fan base directly. Point is, black people are a hugely important demographic in Atlanta, and it turns out, all things being equal, black people prefer having black athletes that embrace black culture to look up to. Trae Young fits the bill and Luca does not. Obviously style of play and super-star potential are surely more important factors, but to say that Trae Young's culture and race played no part in the decision is not realistic in my opinion. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So one last thought on the Trae 'trade' people may not be considering.

If you take and keep Doncic, you still don't have a real NBA point guard. You are the position you guard and Doncic can't guard NBA 1's and never will (Trae at least can improve). So here is the real deal.

Trae + future 1st  + ability to clear Dennis' $15.5 million salary + 1 million less in salary on the pick. 

for

Doncic.

Assuming you can dump Dennis on someone, this pick theoretically also creates $16.5 million in cap space.

Additionally, Doncic would have been a 2 for you, which would replace Baze (similar deal) but means you take a different player at 19 (probably a backup point guard). Huerter's position is what Doncic would have played.  So not taking Doncic meant getting Huerter but not taking some mystery pick at 19.

This would make sense, except the move does not help us move Dennis... quite the contrary actually. Now we have absolutely 0 leverage in any trade discussions with Dennis. With Doncic we could always reject any terrible trade offer for Dennis and choose to keep him on longer and have him play his way into higher trade value. Keeping Dennis now, is almost a non option. Also, drafting Doncic does not mean we couldn't draft Huerter. Doncic can play the 3 and Huerter the 2. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Well let's also consider  the fact that in Atlanta, being "hip" is synonymous with embracing black culture, so anybody who is hip necessarily will be marketing themselves to the black fan base directly. Point is, black people are a hugely important demographic in Atlanta, and it turns out, all things being equal, black people prefer having black athletes that embrace black culture to look up to. Trae Young fits the bill and Luca does not. Obviously style of play and super-star potential are surely more important factors, but to say that Trae Young's culture and race played no part in the decision is not realistic in my opinion. 

Given our past if that is the case I can't wait for the inevitable emails like "let's make sure we pick a black one with our top pick - the black people will buy more jerseys of black players" to come out in the future to embarrass the team.  I really hope this was all about how to make our team great and not about racial marketing strategies.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Now I see why he is the most marketable player in the NBA!  Give the people a little skin... some of the abs above...some of the shins below...

GTY 980635812 S SPO BKO BKN USA NY

Hold yourself back, @JayBirdHawk.  This thread might be getting too much for you...

• Like 1