Kris Dunn - 138 turnovers - 33.9%

Michael Carter-Wiliams - 138 turnovers - 27.9%

Evan Turner - 136 turnovers - 32.9%

Tyreke Evans - 133 turnovers - 28.7%

Jimmer Freddette - 131 turnovers - 32.4%

Johnny Flynn - 129 turnovers - 22.1%

Elfrid Payton - 127 turnovers - 27.7%

Steph Curry - 126 turnovers - 28.7%

Due to his historically high usage, wouldnt it be more meaningful to look at his TOV% ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AHF said:

Trae is a Hawk.  Not happy about how that happened.  At all.

But he is a Hawk so I’ll be rooting for him.  He now needs to play team oriented ball, learn to play D and keep up the high volume scoring with the 2017 shooting numbers not the 2018 ones.  Tall order but he does have high upside to go with that low downside.  So I’m all on board rooting for him to make it.

Schlenk is in the crosshairs.  Big ball move.  If this blows up, so does he.  I’m already flipped but he can win me back.

If Schlenk keeps Doncic, and he fails, or "blows up", does he get a pass from ya, since Doncic is the player you wanted? lol. Seriously though, He took the player they liked. Nothing more. I guess the NBA GM's werent as high on Doncic as the internet GM's. :biggrin:. (Hence only getting a protected 1st)

47 minutes ago, terrell said:

I dont see it as bad negotiation skills. I see it as he took the best offer..

His head coach knew he had to put up HUGE numbers in every game for them to have a chance..Bagley, for instance, had 4 teammates get drafted. How many did Trae have?

This is correct and shouldn't be any less a factor than the turnover themselves.  If you watched OU at all....just one or a few times, you'd come away thinking the Devry Institute had better players.  I mean you play 35 minutes per game and have the entire offense depend on you and guys with hands of stone...not a good look.

I do hope he'll become more efficient and better, hell just serviceable on Dec.

Defense...no edit button....lol

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

It's probably being a homer, and watching the highlights of Trae's 48 point game versus OSU, but I'm warming up to the pick.  

Also, I've not heard a compelling reason why Doncic can carry a franchise.  He is slow and can't shoot ...but he has all the intangibles.  Ben Simmons type with average athleticism.  Doesn't make sense.  

He's a good shooter, slumped from the three point line later in the season but had shot at 35%+ from three throughout his career.

Like interceptions, every turnover tells a story.  If his teammates weren’t so abysmal as widely reported he could’ve easily added a couple more assists.  The more space he has, the better he’ll adjust.  Dedmon, Printz, and Baze maintaining their 3 point percentages is key.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

Like interceptions, every turnover tells a story.  If his teammates weren’t so abysmal as widely reported he could’ve easily added a couple more assists.  The more space he has, the better he’ll adjust.  Dedmon, Printz, and Baze maintaining their 3 point percentages is key.  

High turnover rate is not a terrible indicator on young players. A while back there was an article ESPN that correlated high turnover rate in young PGs with future success. I think the bigger question mark is if he can become an adequately efficient scorer. He will need to maintain a high FT rate and take better shots in order to achieve that. 

• Like 1

:laugh:

WOAH  -  STOP AND THINK !!

First of all.  That 1st round pick, protected thru 5 next season comes from the team we traded with.  They received Luka Doncic and many are so upset.  Think!  If he is the second coming of Superman, will he not be able to lead his team above that top 5 protected?  We can't have it both ways.  Either he leads his team upward OR they fail and keep their next year's 1st.  If he's good, we get their pick.

Now, about Trae.  He had so many turnovers.  Could it be that his team mates had something to do with this?  Whenever a pass is thrown to where someone is expected to be and he ain't there, whose fault is it?  If he throws a pass near a player and he makes a half A attempt to catch the ball, who is at fault?  And, if Trae is double or triple teamed, where is his help?

We, meaning the Hawks, got what we wanted.  Three rookie players with the hopes that they are as good as advertised.  Think!  Usually a team is not as bad as the worst or as great as the best that we can believe.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I hope Rayford (who names their child “Rayford” past the 70s?) is good early so he can assume a nickname.  Ray Trey, Trey Trey, Ray Ray, whatever.

If memory serves it is a faux aristocratic homage to being the third after his grandfather and father to play PG in college.  While Rayford might be a tough handle, Ray Young would have gotten the job done and I cannot think of many other athletes with that name as I type this.

3 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

If memory serves it is a faux aristocratic homage to being the third after his grandfather and father to play PG in college.  While Rayford might be a tough handle, Ray Young would have gotten the job done and I cannot think of many other athletes with that name as I type this.

Cool.  I didn’t think of him being a Third.  The basketball lineage is encouraging.  Still far behind the Holiday and Porter Families goddamn.  Their family pictures look like full team pictures.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, deester11 said:

If the Hawks took Trae because everything was equal except blackness, they are idiots.  I simply don't believe the Migos couldn't incorporate Doncic in a rap song.  Maybe they simple liked Young better.  

Not blackness but marketability in general, blackness is only one aspect of that when discussing popularity of athletes in Atlanta, a city that is majority black. Considering we finished dead last in attendance according to basketball-reference, it's not crazy to think that Trae's overall marketability in Atlanta played a factor. All things being equal the guy giving shout outs to Migos, 2-chainz and doling out highlight passes and three point shots from 40 feet  is going to be a bigger draw to casual Atlanta fans than the Slovenian kid with broken English  who plays team first ball. Trae gives us a player who can take 20+ shots game and can be marketed as the face of the franchise even if we win 25-30 games again next year, which is a likely outcome regardless of who we drafted. From a marketing standpoint it makes a lot more sense to draft Trae than Doncic, and considering several rumors indicating that it was ownership pushing for Trae, it seems likely that marketing was a major factor in the decision.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

High turnover rate is not a terrible indicator on young players. A while back there was an article ESPN that correlated high turnover rate in young PGs with future success. I think the bigger question mark is if he can become an adequately efficient scorer. He will need to maintain a high FT rate and take better shots in order to achieve that. 

My point was not that the guy can't pass and can't dribble.  He can do both.  It was about the historical level of dominating the ball in Oklahoma that I was flagging.  When you play with bad teammates the only way to prevent them from racking up turnovers of their own are to keep the ball out of their hands and in your hands.  But that type of high usage also distorts your numbers as when you get all the shots and other touch the ball much you will inevitably end up with high PPG and APG numbers.  

Stephon Marbury is the perfect example of this.  He was a huge ballhog in the NBA and many of his teams were the worst in the league in total assists.  But his assist numbers always looked nice because most possessions ended in a turnover for him, a shot for him or a pass for someone to shoot.  All of those drive nice counting stats but that type of black hole offense (where the ball revolves around a single player) is bad for the team which is also nicely seen in Marbury's many craptastic teams (who all got better when they got rid of him).  

I am hoping that type of ball dominance did not drive insane (Peter Maravichian) counting stats in college that don't truly reflect his talent and that he will be able to slot into a team oriented offense in the NBA with big improvements in shooting and turnovers with opposing teams not able to key on him to the same degree they did in college.

I don't like Allen Iverson, Starbury, Westbrook, Maravich type blackhole players.  Young can be and needs to be more than that.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Not blackness but marketability in general, blackness is only one aspect of that when discussing popularity of athletes in Atlanta, a city that is majority black. Considering we finished dead last in attendance according to basketball-reference, it's not crazy to think that Trae's overall marketability in Atlanta played a factor. All things being equal the guy giving shout outs to Migos, 2-chainz and doling out highlight passes and three point shots from 40 feet  is going to be a bigger draw to casual Atlanta fans than the Slovenian kid with broken English  who plays team first ball. Trae gives us a player who can take 20+ shots game and can be marketed as the face of the franchise even if we win 25-30 games again next year, which is a likely outcome regardless of who we drafted. From a marketing standpoint it makes a lot more sense to draft Trae than Doncic, and considering several rumors indicating that it was ownership pushing for Trae, it seems likely that marketing was a major factor in the decision.

Can't imagine too many players more marketable than Doncic.  Remember how we were afraid of a bum rush of dozens of fans flooding the Squawk today if we drafted Doncic?  Have we seen any new fans following Young?  Yao Ming was pretty marketable.  Ichiro was pretty marketable.  Doncic is a phenom and fan favorite in Europe (where the NBA keeps playing and has eyed potential expansion) of a similar nature.

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Can't imagine too many players more marketable than Doncic.  Remember how we were afraid of a bum rush of dozens of fans flooding the Squawk today if we drafted Doncic?  Have we seen any new fans following Young?  Yao Ming was pretty marketable.  Ichiro was pretty marketable.  Doncic is a phenom and fan favorite in Europe (where the NBA keeps playing and has eyed potential expansion) of a similar nature.

Yao Ming and Ichiro came from countries with populations of 1billion+ and 127 million respectively. Slovenia has a population of 2 million. I guess Doncic could draw some Real Madrid fans as well as some Slovenian fans but that wasn't gonna move the needle in the butt's in the seats department the same way Trae Young will do. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yao Ming and Ichiro came from countries with populations of 1billion+ and 127 million respectively. Slovenia has a population of 2 million. I guess Doncic could draw some Real Madrid fans as well as some Slovenian fans but that wasn't gonna move the needle in the butt's in the seats department the same way Trae Young will do. 

Just to clarify. I'm not saying Doncic is not marketable, or even highly marketable. I'm just stating the pretty obvious fact that in the Atlanta market, Trae Young is going to be the bigger draw from the two. 

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Just to clarify. I'm not saying Doncic is not marketable, or even highly marketable. I'm just stating the pretty obvious fact that in the Atlanta market, Trae Young is going to be the bigger draw from the two. 

I can definitely co-sign this. Trae's ceiling popularity-wise in the city FAR exceeds Luka's.

• Like 1

Y'all are forgetting about the obvious bump Luka would have received from Sir Foster playing "Lucas with the Lid Off" every time he made a jumper.  Kid could have been a star here.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I don't see much difference there but we can watch the numbers next year and see how many butts he puts in seats.  Otherwise, I think it will be more about an exciting team as opposed to someone putting up big numbers on a bad team.  Falcons seem to have done just fine with Matt Ryan in at QB and Doncic is a lot more charismatic than Ryan.

I think a lot of Atlanta fans would respond to anyone the press picks up as a "star"  and many other will respond more to how much the team wins.