• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Is a C

We could get Doncic and traded for a worst player, we could have even get Bamba, a game changer and drafted Young, that was projected 10-12.... I am really disapointed

At 19 we drafted Huerter and we had Robert Williams available, even Okogie or Jacob Evans, hate the pick

30, I like the pick

34, Khyri Thomas, Diop and Robinson available and we trade the pick for nothing? I knew some good prospects would slide, this draft was full of good players, even Frazier was a good bet

Really, really disapointed

So you think Bamba can be a bigger game changer than Young?

Is Rudy Gobert and bigger game changer than Steph Curry? Basing this off the TYPE of player and skillset each possess. Asinine statement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JCDBaptist said:

Beaubois, formerly with Mavs, Kevin Pangis, P Jackson, McCollum, and I think Gill is the a player that had a lot of hype 2 years ago with Sac town, or is that the injury riddled Gills a different player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Gill_(basketball)  This gill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigue_Beaubois. This Beaubois.

and this is Shved  the league top scorer and 1 season NBA washout. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexey_Shved

So yes, not impressed with "Doncic" played against men. 

For those that missed the link http://www.euroleague.net/main/statistics?mode=Leaders&entity=Players&seasonmode=Single&seasoncode=E2017&cat=Score&agg=Accumulated

12 hours ago, ggp said:

Trae is a short stack that does not have the athletic ability to over come that SHORT coming.  No amount of weight training will change his defensive deficiencies.  In college, against kids, his turnovers were high.  

Right now, Young is a poor back court companion with Schröder.  Neither will defend much.  

Regardless of which player was taken, the Hawks will lose a lot for the next two seasons.  Which prospect is more likely the tougher minded?  The young kid that performed against men and put the his team on his back to win a championship, or the kid that shot a lot of jumpers but was stymied once he faced serious amateur competition?  

Would it surprise anyone to see Young turn into a pouting brat in three seasons?   

Would it surprise you if Doncic just isn't athletic enough for NBA and is too stiff for the 1 or 2 position and takes away his advantage at the 3 position, only to run back to Euroleague where he can dominate and field a true fanbase. This is more probable than Trae Young busting.

We don't want Schröder anymore anyway....rhe REASON why we drafted Young. 

Even if he is a defensive liability, I raise you Curry and Harden. And Harden is a defensive matador. You wouldn't take that?

Stop!!

12 hours ago, ggp said:

Why?  The kid put his team on his back and won the games he had to win.  He has faced grown men for two seasons and managed to look good doing it.  He is better than Young and will likely develop a better body in the next two years.  He has proven his maturity and ability to handle adversity more so than Young.

He is a better player than Young and would have been a better ambassador of the team internationally.  

The Hawks failed to maximize their position in this draft.  Their GM failed from a talent perspective and their owner failed because he did not spend the money he needed to spend to advance the team. 

And so, another mediocre decade begins.  Young will "dazzle" some fans with long distance shooting, but not provide much more than that.  

Do you think people will scheme to defend Young or Doncic? For all the international flair Doncic has, what real competition has he faced in Euroleague?

I ask this because, if it seriously that stiff of competition, Euroleauge would be more of a feeder league than college. How many other Euroleague players made the jump this year? How many others are highly decorated to even be mentioned? Okoge?

It is easier to standout when you're playing against NBA washouts, hasbeens, or team tryout players. Or just inferior athletes. But that would more appropriately be China league but still.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I agree but I have a feeling Dallas will still suck a bit. I also don’t think Luka fits with DSJ. They both have to have the ball in their hands to orchestrate the offense and one will have to defer.

DSJ shot like 50% better from distance when he was assisted than when he tried to pull up and shoot.  He can drive extremely well so it seems tailor made to let Luka have the ball in his hands and then DSJ can pick and roll or pick and pop.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

From what so have heard, MPJ’s medicals are BAD.   He’s got a chronic back issue.  

3 hours ago, AHF said:

They have to be.  Nothing else explains that fall.  I wanted no part of him in the top 10.  

I heard that it's not the location that had the surgery it's the vertebrae above and below that's now the concern, meaning he may require more surgery.

• Premium Member
I heard that it's not the location that had the surgery it's the vertebrae above and below that's now the concern, meaning he may require more surgery.

Nugs took a big risk there. Maybe front office smoked too much weed lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vor 2 Stunden, JCDBaptist sagte:

Do you think people will scheme to defend Young or Doncic? For all the international flair Doncic has, what real competition has he faced in Euroleague?

I ask this because, if it seriously that stiff of competition, Euroleauge would be more of a feeder league than college. How many other Euroleague players made the jump this year? How many others are highly decorated to even be mentioned? Okoge?

It is easier to standout when you're playing against NBA washouts, hasbeens, or team tryout players. Or just inferior athletes. But that would more appropriately be China league but still.

It was pros. PROS. Even if below the NBA level, do you know what percentage of NCAA-Div 1 players even goes pro SOMEWHERE? 1%.

Doncic won a tournament as the 1B player against teams led by Porzingis, the Gasol brothers and others. But I guess playing against dudes that by and large are sitting in an office chair doing a 9-5 job right now is better competition.

The ignorance here is unreal. I guess the "stupid American" stereotype isn't that wrong...

As much as I hate trading Doncic for Trae and a protected 1st, I think I'm more pissed about giving away #34 for two future meaningless picks. There was a handful of mid first round talent available.

Trent Jr., Melton, M. Robinson, Frazier.... those are just the ones I like the most. I'm sure others had several players they rated going in the mid first still available then too.

19 hours ago, Royjr9 said:

ISO joe, terry surely I’m missing someone else but point remains that’s not true.

Here you go, boss.   Scan the list and you tell me what draft picks had potential to be 20 - 25 ppg scorers.   

And most of us "old heads" can name most of the major free agents or trades of the last 30 years

Moses Malone . . Dikembe . . Smitty . . Shareef . . Big Dog . . JJ . . Jamal . . Millsap 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/draft.html

3 hours ago, kurupt said:

It was pros. PROS. Even if below the NBA level, do you know what percentage of NCAA-Div 1 players even goes pro SOMEWHERE? 1%.

Doncic won a tournament as the 1B player against teams led by Porzingis, the Gasol brothers and others. But I guess playing against dudes that by and large are sitting in an office chair doing a 9-5 job right now is better competition.

The ignorance here is unreal. I guess the "stupid American" stereotype isn't that wrong...

It is wrong and would be just as wrong for me to get on a European Football Forum and profess to know more about talent than the people who grew up playing and following the game since they could almost walk.

Until you actually see a player as big as Dominique Wilkins, LeBron James, or Ben Simmons fly across the court, you really have no idea the types of athletes that play basketball over here. Just as I have no idea about the types of great athletes that fly across the soccer field over in Europe,

Right now it is pure speculation so we can't really rate the draft until next year.

From an identity perspective I give us an A. All 3 of our picks have potential to be 40% shooters in the NBA. We are gonna be a run-n-shoot team that will be fun to watch. I'm really liking the Huerter pick, could be a great secondary ballhandler to Trae and can shoot at a 40+% clip both off and on the dribble. Spellman could be a perfect frontcourt fit for Collins. The rare tough interior enforcer on defense, but elite shooter and good passer on offense. Will space the floor for Collins to be able to use his elite PnR skils w/ Trae.

• Premium Member

Just for laughs

PICKS

4. Jaren Jackson Jr. | Michigan St. | Fr | PF | 6-11 | 236

32. Jevon Carter | West Virginia | Sr | PG | 6-2 | 196

The Grizzlies selected Jaren Jackson Jr. at No. 4. That's too high. He has potential to be a rim-protecting, floor-spacing big. But at this point, it's no more than potential. He has a long ways to go to realize it fully. The only factor preventing Memphis from earning an F is its choice to take Jevon Carter at 32. He's the best perimeter defender in this draft. Grade: D+

3 hours ago, kurupt said:

Stupidity??? I'm not gonna get into stereotype and name calling but I'm willing to bet you I know more than you. 

Ignant azz!!

4 hours ago, AHF said:

DSJ shot like 50% better from distance when he was assisted than when he tried to pull up and shoot.  He can drive extremely well so it seems tailor made to let Luka have the ball in his hands and then DSJ can pick and roll or pick and pop.

Oh boy that’s right...ya ...come to think of it he’s a great fit. Oh man, I love Trae and I keep saying he’s Isiah Zeke Thomas but hopefully we didn’t lose out on a Magic Doncic.

36 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It is wrong and would be just as wrong for me to get on a European Football Forum and profess to know more about talent than the people who grew up playing and following the game since they could almost walk.

Until you actually see a player as big as Dominique Wilkins, LeBron James, or Ben Simmons fly across the court, you really have no idea the types of athletes that play basketball over here. Just as I have no idea about the types of great athletes that fly across the soccer field over in Europe,

Great post.  That thought was all I could think about when watching the highlight package immediately after Luka was drafted.  While I know intellectually that Doncic played legitimate competition that comprised of a number of NBA draft picks, without him having the additional 3-4 inches that Porzingis (more 7 inches there) and Dirk have when factoring in not having elite athleticism.

3 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

Great post.  That thought was all I could think about when watching the highlight package immediately after Luka was drafted.  While I know intellectually that Doncic played legitimate competition that comprised of a number of NBA draft picks, without him having the additional 3-4 inches that Porzingis (more 7 inches there) and Dirk have when factoring in not having elite athleticism.

I think Doncic has a chance to stick as a starter in the NBA. His skill set is really good but he needs to improve on his threes. And I am sure Rick Carlisle will help him with team defense.  One of the first things I heard from Carisle's camp is they will go straight to work on his strength and conditioning.

He could really be a 17,6, and 6 player one day in my opinion. But it is not going to happen over night or this season.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think Doncic has a chance to stick as a starter in the NBA. His skill set is really good but he needs to improve on his threes. And I am sure Rick Carlisle will help him with team defense.  One of the first things I heard from Carisle's camp is they will go straight to work on his strength and conditioning.

He could really be a 17,6, and 6 player one day in my opinion. But it is not going to happen over night or this season.

So why does his film look so average?