• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How do you rate Trae Young as a floor general??

Wurider05

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Dang it!  I'm kind of mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier, but it is worth being noted.  Lloyd Pierce was Steve Nash's teammate at Santa Clara, so you can bet that he sees some similarities there.

It was mentioned in an article during Trae's workout

Trae needs to mature but what 19 year old doesn't ? Every interview I watch looks better and I think we got us a winner. He is gritty and hates losing. In what little film I have watched I have seen him make eye contact with his teammates, calls out plays, and move players around.

His first year playing in high school as a sophomore he averaged 25, 5, and 4 while leading his team to a area championship. Everyone wants to compare him to Nash and/or Curry; and he says those are his favorite players.

But I see some AI in him with his fearlessness when it comes to diving into the paint and taking the shot. They both made a living in college at the charity stripe with AI getting 8.3 and 8.6 attempts per game and Trae getting 8.6. He is listed as being bigger than Iverson at Sports Reference College Basketball.

AI averaged 4,5 and 4.7 boards a game in college and Trae 3.8.

Iverson averaged 4.4 and 3,8 turnovers per game his two seasons at Georgetown; while averaging 4.5 and 4.7 assist per game.

Trae averaged 5.2 turnovers a game while averaging 8.7 assist.

They did not keep usage stats back then but I would hazard a guess that Traes 37.1 was way up compared to Iverson.

Trae has averaged at least 25 points a game everywhere he has played since a sophomore in high school. I think this will continue in the NBA as soon as gets some experience.

I think Trae is going to be a solid leader. One who talks the talk and walks the walk. In other words, a maturer version of himself as he grows older. Thank you Dallas for providing us with a long awaited #1 scoring option and a extra pick to boot!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/allen-iverson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Trae needs to mature but what 19 year old doesn't ? Every interview I watch looks better and I think we got us a winner. He is gritty and hates losing. In what little film I have watched I have seen him make eye contact with his teammates, calls out plays, and move players around.

His first year playing in high school as a sophomore he averaged 25, 5, and 4 while leading his team to a area championship. Everyone wants to compare him to Nash and/or Curry; and he says those are his favorite players.

But I see some AI in him with his fearlessness when it comes to diving into the paint and taking the shot. They both made a living in college at the charity stripe with AI getting 8.3 and 8.6 attempts per game and Trae getting 8.6. He is listed as being bigger than Iverson at Sports Reference College Basketball.

AI averaged 4,5 and 4.7 boards a game in college and Trae 3.8.

Iverson averaged 4.4 and 3,8 turnovers per game his two seasons at Georgetown; while averaging 4.5 and 4.7 assist per game.

Trae averaged 5.2 turnovers a game while averaging 8.7 assist.

They did not keep usage stats back then but I would hazard a guess that Traes 37.1 was way up compared to Iverson.

Trae has averaged at least 25 points a game everywhere he has played since a sophomore in high school. I think this will continue in the NBA as soon as gets some experience.

I think Trae is going to be a solid leader. One who talks the talk and walks the walk. In other words, a maturer version of himself as he grows older. Thank you Dallas for providing us with a long awaited #1 scoring option and a extra pick to boot!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/allen-iverson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1.html

He is not an elite athlete like AI was. That is my biggest problem with him as a prospect. For all of the players who are in his range for his production were all super athletic freaks. He is rare talent but a vast amount of his success is based on OU building an high usage offense around him. That generally doesn't work in the NBA unless you have super freaks like AI, LeBron, and the likes of those once in a generation athletes. 

I and others on here been saying for months about Steve Nash comparisons more so than Steph but Nash wasn't good for at least 4 seasons. With the investment made on Young, we are all expecting instant productivity. 

That might not be feasible in this case. I been saying, the best freshman PG path we have record of is Mike Conley in Memphis. 

As a rookie, they split time with him and their other high 1st in Kyle Lowry. He also split time with another PG as well. 2nd year, more PT. 3rd year, he was starting and producing at a top 20 level impact wise for his team. 

If we can get 26 MPG year 1. 30-32 MPG year 2. Potential all star year 3. That's my ideal growth path for him.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He is not an elite athlete like AI was. That is my biggest problem with him as a prospect. For all of the players who are in his range for his production were all super athletic freaks. He is rare talent but a vast amount of his success is based on OU building an high usage offense around him. That generally doesn't work in the NBA unless you have super freaks like AI, LeBron, and the likes of those once in a generation athletes. 

I and others on here been saying for months about Steve Nash comparisons more so than Steph but Nash wasn't good for at least 4 seasons. With the investment made on Young, we are all expecting instant productivity. 

That might not be feasible in this case. I been saying, the best freshman PG path we have record of is Mike Conley in Memphis. 

As a rookie, they split time with him and their other high 1st in Kyle Lowry. He also split time with another PG as well. 2nd year, more PT. 3rd year, he was starting and producing at a top 20 level impact wise for his team. 

If we can get 26 MPG year 1. 30-32 MPG year 2. Potential all star year 3. That's my ideal growth path for him.

I understand the athletic and defensive differences that is why I did not bring them up. We all know Trae is not a great athlete. But I do not think his grit and toughness can be questioned. He gets those foul shots the same way AI did; go into the paint with the trees and get knocked on your ass.

I really love that part of his game more than any other. I am going to cross my fingers he never gets seriously hurt; as I do not see him ever stopping that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I understand the athletic and defensive differences that is why I did not bring them up. We all know Trae is not a great athlete. But I do not think his grit and toughness cannot be questioned. He gets those foul shots the same way AI did; go into the paint with the trees and get knocked on your ass.

I really love that part of his game more than any other. I am going to cross my fingers he never gets seriously hurt; as I do not see him ever stopping that.

fixed the bold word.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I understand the athletic and defensive differences that is why I did not bring them up. We all know Trae is not a great athlete. But I do not think his grit and toughness can be questioned. He gets those foul shots the same way AI did; go into the paint with the trees and get knocked on your ass.

He needs to hit the gym and put on a few pounds over his rookie and sophomore seasons to help a bit.

Hated this pick yesterday, but after watching some film today, I'm coming around to it. His passing ability is really great. And that was passing to pretty terrible teammates. Can't wait to see what he actually does with talent around him like Prince and Collins. 

Also, having a PG that shoots a high percentage from the field and FT line is important and he checks both of those boxes. Still prefer Luka, but this isn't the complete disaster that I thought it was yesterday. I think the turnovers will get better with experience. Also, him having to do everything at OU I think played a roll in that high number. His defense though....that worries me. 

29 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The one thing we have thanks to Bud is the players in place. Prince, Baze, Dedmon and Collins all fit the pace and space offense. While I am hoping we can get Spellman in better shape. He's the perfect backup to Dedmon.

We still need more depth at SF and PF.

• Like 3

I always felt the biggest issue last year was, lack of depth at PF once Ersan got traded. Lack of depth at SF and of course, poor play from both the starting and backup PG. We also didn't get any big production from any bench players like we did with Tim Hardaway the season before.

@Buzzard, I like Trae but we can't rush this. The NBA PG position is the hardest position in the NBA and unlike Steph, he's not a SG and unlike Nash, his initial expectation is sky high and we are expecting production. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I always felt the biggest issue last year was, lack of depth at PF once Ersan got traded. Lack of depth at SF and of course, poor play from both the starting and backup PG. We also didn't get any big production from any bench players like we did with Tim Hardaway the season before.

@Buzzard, I like Trae but we can't rush this. The NBA PG position is the hardest position in the NBA and unlike Steph, he's not a SG and unlike Nash, his initial expectation is sky high and we are expecting production. 

He will need to learn a higher level NBA offense; but I think he is plenty smart enough to handle that. I am not worried about Trae. When Pierce sees him as ready, he is going to ball.

3 hours ago, hazer said:

I made the Pierce/Nash point in a thread a few weeks ago.

Ya we all knew...some people here tho think they say things for the first time..lol.

Trae is Isiah Thomas of the Pistons. There I said it. And a tooooon of Nash with the precise passing.

• Like 2

• Moderators

TBD.  We haven't seen him with quality teammates and he will need to run a very different game in Atlanta than he did in Oklahoma.  (Personally don't care about HS). 

What they did in Oklahoma was like running a gimmick offense in football.  A QB from that system can have all the skills but never get there with a real pro offense.   They started off 14-2 and when teams adjusted they basically finished the season in a reverse of their great start.

Trae has the passing skills to be a true floor general so the tools are there.  His tools should allow him to be a floor general but to be a general you need to be able to execute an offensive scheme radically different from what he ran in college.  

To be determined.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AHF said:Trae has the passing skills to be a true floor general so the tools are there.  His tools should allow him to be a floor general but to be a general you need to be able to execute an offensive scheme radically different from what he ran in college.  

To be determined.

Totally agree with KB (hard as it is) and others about Trae and his floor general skills.  If you use a highlight film, you get spectacular.  I watched several games.  People are glossing over the inept nature of his teammates.  Even so, his vision IS elite and he can find his teammates easily.  He was a leader as a freshman and I do think it was "get buckets" so we can win in OU'S offense.  Turnovers, yeah but I really think he will improve with better teammates.  He is going to be a different animal than Dennis. In a good way.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, deester11 said:

Totally agree with KB (hard as it is) and others about Trae and his floor general skills.  If you use a highlight film, you get spectacular.  I watched several games.  People are glossing over the inept nature of his teammates.  Even so, his vision IS elite and he can find his teammates easily.  He was a leader as a freshman and I do think it was "get buckets" so we can win in OU'S offense.  Turnovers, yeah but I really think he will improve with better teammates.  He is going to be a different animal than Dennis. In a good way.  

Proof will be in the pudding.  He definitely has the skills but hasn't actually done it yet.   Hope he drops that usage rate, increases the efficiency, and ends up as the league's best floor general given some time to grow.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Proof will be in the pudding.  He definitely has the skills but hasn't actually done it yet.   Hope he drops that usage rate, increases the efficiency, and ends up as the league's best floor general given some time to grow.

The team won't do anything but have the opportunity to grow.  I agree he should be brought along slower than usual.  IF Trae becomes Alpha and the player we hope he can be, the Colonel would have made the decision that propels this franchise to relevance.  IF not....Schlenk will be fired and we do it again until the second coming of the lord (or whoever you believe in)...

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The team won't do anything but have the opportunity to grow.  I agree he should be brought along slower than usual.  IF Trae becomes Alpha and the player we hope he can be, the Colonel would have made the decision that propels this franchise to relevance.  IF not....Schlenk will be fired and we do it again until the second coming of the lord (or whoever you believe in)...

One pick won't sink or swim a team's rebuild but it would be a bitter pill to swallow to whiff with the #3 pick in a draft with talent like this.  Hoping Trae makes the trade look good.  Schlenk's job might depend on it but for the long-term blowing this would be a setback not eternal damnation.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

One pick won't sink or swim a team's rebuild but it would be a bitter pill to swallow to whiff with the #3 pick in a draft with talent like this.  Hoping Trae makes the trade look good.  Schlenk's job might depend on it but for the long-term blowing this would be a setback not eternal damnation.

It's going to be 5 plus years of missing the playoffs regardless.  If Young busts, it will be more like 7 years.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

It's going to be 5 plus years of missing the playoffs regardless.  If Young busts, it will be more like 7 years.

5 years is within the realm of the possibility but so is a playoff appearance in that time.  I do agree that if Young busts it is reasonable to think that is a 2 year setback.  It would be pretty devastating to whiff in this draft.