• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Up Dated WARP Projections for Hawks

KB21

This is from Five Thirty Eight's CARMELO system.  What you need to know about WARP is that it stands for wins above replacement level, and that a team full of replacement level players would project out to around 10 wins.  So, you can somewhat project out how many wins your team will have by adding the total WARP to 10 wins.

John Collins 1.9 WARP

Taurean Prince 1.1 WARP

Kent Bazemore 1.6 WARP

Dennis Schröder 0.9 WARP

Dewayne Dedmon 0.7 WARP

Isaiah Taylor -0.4 WARP

Miles Plumlee -0.8 WARP

Mike Muscala 0.2 WARP

Trae Young 0.1 WARP

Kevin Huerter -0.5 WARP

Omari Spellman -0.1 WARP

Tyler Dorsey -0.6 WARP

That will probably be the Hawks top 12 guys, and you will see a mix of G-League players such as Andrew White, Jaylen Adams, perhaps Jalen Morris round out the team.  Just based on the top 12, the total projected WARP for the top 12 guys on the roster is 4.1 WARP right now.  That comes out to a 14 win team in raw numbers.  

Based upon this and what I believe Travis's plan is in free agency this off season, I think the absolute maximum amount of games this team wins in 2018-2019 is 18 games.  That number could go down as well, because I believe Dennis will be traded before the season starts, and you will see them try to move Dedmon and Bazemore.  If/when that happens, then this team may very well match the 2004 team's record of 13 wins.

It's going to be BAD, folks!!

• Like 1

Just now, KB21 said:

Are you ready to pay up?  Marvin Bagley III is projected at -0.7 WARP with a plus/minus of -1.5 for 2018-2019.

BPM is the betting selection and it's funny you post projections you have no understanding of when they get to the NBA, all of a sudden, it all changes. This will be the easiest money to make ever. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

BPM is the betting selection and it's funny you post projections you have no understanding of when they get to the NBA, all of a sudden, it all changes. This will be the easiest money to make ever. 

For me.

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What is Pierce's WARP?...Its got to be negative on the KP warp mind scale taking our win total even lower.

It's interesting that you mention that.  It's not calculated, but when I projected the Hawks record out last year, I gave the Hawks a 5 win bump just based on the Bud factor.  WARP came out at around 18 wins for the Hawks, but due to Bud, I projected 23 wins.  

I don't see anyway that Pierce is a positive factor for the team this year.  

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's interesting that you mention that.  It's not calculated, but when I projected the Hawks record out last year, I gave the Hawks a 5 win bump just based on the Bud factor.  WARP came out at around 18 wins for the Hawks, but due to Bud, I projected 23 wins.  

I don't see anyway that Pierce is a positive factor for the team this year.  

So the prediction is 10 wins now? Or is that still too high?

Seems accurate, I’d bump Collins a hair over 2 and Dead up to 1.  The number for Spellman projects his NBA learning curve isn’t near as steep as his selection slot suggests.  Just the slight chance we could have a Baby Warriors Core is exciting.  Before Burner Account Internet Troll I couldn’t get enough of them boys’ style and spirit of play.

• Moderators

Here is some more info from the site:

John Collins

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POWER FORWARD
  • 21 YEARS OLD
Wins above replacement projection
CATEGORY: FUTURE ALL-STAR
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $146.6M

Trae Young

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POINT GUARD
  • 20 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: GREAT PROSPECT
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $85.7M

Taurean Prince

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SMALL FORWARD
  • 24 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: AVERAGE STARTER
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $55.0M

Kevin Huerter

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SHOOTING GUARD
  • 20 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: OK PROSPECT
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $36.0M

Dennis Schröder

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POINT GUARD
  • 25 YEARS OLD
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $38.0M

Kent Bazemore

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SHOOTING GUARD
  • 29 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: ROTATION PLAYER
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $41.7M

8 hours ago, KB21 said:

This is from Five Thirty Eight's CARMELO system.  What you need to know about WARP is that it stands for wins above replacement level, and that a team full of replacement level players would project out to around 10 wins.  So, you can somewhat project out how many wins your team will have by adding the total WARP to 10 wins.

John Collins 1.9 WARP

Taurean Prince 1.1 WARP

Kent Bazemore 1.6 WARP

Dennis Schröder 0.9 WARP

Dewayne Dedmon 0.7 WARP

Isaiah Taylor -0.4 WARP

Miles Plumlee -0.8 WARP

Mike Muscala 0.2 WARP

Trae Young 0.1 WARP

Kevin Huerter -0.5 WARP

Omari Spellman -0.1 WARP

Tyler Dorsey -0.6 WARP

That will probably be the Hawks top 12 guys, and you will see a mix of G-League players such as Andrew White, Jaylen Adams, perhaps Jalen Morris round out the team.  Just based on the top 12, the total projected WARP for the top 12 guys on the roster is 4.1 WARP right now.  That comes out to a 14 win team in raw numbers.  

Based upon this and what I believe Travis's plan is in free agency this off season, I think the absolute maximum amount of games this team wins in 2018-2019 is 18 games.  That number could go down as well, because I believe Dennis will be traded before the season starts, and you will see them try to move Dedmon and Bazemore.  If/when that happens, then this team may very well match the 2004 team's record of 13 wins.

It's going to be BAD, folks!!

The league is so weak they might win 18-20. But, yeah... It's going to be bad unless the Hawks have some big time free agent pickups. 

This is the true start of rebuilding and not last year.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

The league is so weak they might win 18-20. But, yeah... It's going to be bad unless the Hawks have some big time free agent pickups. 

This is the true start of rebuilding and not last year.

Last year was the tear down down, this year will be year 1 of the rebuild with a high draft pick.

24 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is some more info from the site:

John Collins

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POWER FORWARD
  • 21 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: FUTURE ALL-STAR
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $146.6M

Trae Young

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POINT GUARD
  • 20 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: GREAT PROSPECT
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $85.7M

Taurean Prince

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SMALL FORWARD
  • 24 YEARS OLD
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $55.0M

Kevin Huerter

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SHOOTING GUARD
  • 20 YEARS OLD
CATEGORY: OK PROSPECT
5-YR MARKET VALUE: $36.0M

Dennis Schröder

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • POINT GUARD
  • 25 YEARS OLD

Kent Bazemore

• ATLANTA HAWKS
  • SHOOTING GUARD
  • 29 YEARS OLD

You have to look no further than Collins putting up 21 total stat points in 24 minutes as a rookie and shooting .576 to project him as a future star.  Dennis has always been a “Super Sub,” I never graded him on a starter’s scale.

Dumb question but who authored RPM and why doesn’t The Reference track it?

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Last year was the tear down down, this year will be year 1 of the rebuild with a high draft pick.

I'm good with what ever happens next season as long as they are not trying to loose like last year when you saw those Cavanaugh/Plumlee line ups along with Delaney and Taylor with Josh Magette sprinkled in.

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

You have to look no further than Collins putting up 21 total stat points in 24 minutes as a rookie and shooting .576 to project him as a future star.  Dennis has always been a “Super Sub,” I never graded him on a starter’s scale.

The WARP figure KB referenced in the OP is linked to the site which explains that.  Here is a link to Baze's page:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/kent-bazemore/

13 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Dennis Schröder

ATLANTA HAWKS

POINT GUARD

25 YEARS OLD

Kent Bazemore

ATLANTA HAWKS

SHOOTING GUARD

29 YEARS OLD

And to think some here still justify Bud staying on as our President of Basketball Operations. He had about as much long term vision as a bat in a sun room at high noon.

Schlenk will hopefully figure something out for these two sooner or later. Collins is super impressive even without knowing his WARP.

27 wins. This team will shoot their way in (and out) of some games, but with the ability to put 4 and possibly 5 shooters in the lineup, we will overachieve.  I think we are all underestimating how important the 3pt shot is. Rockets nearly went to the finals without their (IMO) best player the last few games.