• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trae Ceiling....

Diesel

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Won't debate that Schlenk is acquiring young talent around a GSW model... that would be silly.

Will be skeptical that the coach has any hardwired offensive philosophy that he's going to consistently follow for an entire season.

Pierce's short term offensive philosophy is to make sure the team turns the ball over enough to cause them to lose games.  That's why he is pushing for pace, pace, pace so hard.  The faster a young team plays, the more it will turn the ball over and the more it will take bad shots, which will lower your eFG% and ultimately cause you to lose games.  You will also have a team that will struggle to get back on defense, therefore having a high eFG% against which will cause the team to lose.

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Can't be persuaded that he's married to any offensive philosophy.

Period.

And it won't surprise me if he isn't. 

What's more, from Hunt to Babcock, I don't see any of his assistants as coming from any specific school of offensive philosophy.

I don't see being married to one particular philosophy as a good thing. Bud got here and we did not have Duncan, Manu, or Parker. Obviously Bud adapted and instead of being like his former team, always one of the slowest in the NBA, he had us play at a much faster pace, A good coach adapts to his personnel. Example, instead of trying to force Horford into being Duncan, Bud let Horford play his finesse game.

I think Pierce will adapt to their strengths. And their strengths are nothing like the slow paced Spurs teams. That is my opinion. He says pace and space because he sees that as a strength. If we were slow, big, and possibly old, I am sure he would not want to try that lol

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Pierce's short term offensive philosophy is to make sure the team turns the ball over enough to cause them to lose games.  That's why he is pushing for pace, pace, pace so hard.  The faster a young team plays, the more it will turn the ball over and the more it will take bad shots, which will lower your eFG% and ultimately cause you to lose games.  You will also have a team that will struggle to get back on defense, therefore having a high eFG% against which will cause the team to lose.

The fatal flaw of all that.... you evidently think we'll have to TRY in order to lose.

Not me.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I don't see being married to one particular philosophy as a good thing

I tend to agree, though if you DO have the personnel who fit the system and if you DO have a coach who is considered well-versed in that system, my opinion is that's the absolute best case scenario.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I think Pierce will adapt to their strengths.

I think Pierce will not take their strengths present tense and just be satisfied with those strengths. I think, in fact, his charge is to develop players to have more strengths than what they necessarily bring right now.

That's why I'm suggesting he's likely to try to stretch them and test them to see how versatile they can become.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

I tend to agree, though if you DO have the personnel who fit the system and if you DO have a coach who is considered well-versed in that system, my opinion is that's the absolute best case scenario.

I think Pierce will not take their strengths present tense and just be satisfied with those strengths. I think, in fact, his charge is to develop players to have more strengths than what they necessarily bring right now.

That's why I'm suggesting he's likely to try to stretch them and test them to see how versatile they can become.

Obviously he is going to try and develop them into more rounded players; this and defense is his background. I like the idea that he will put an emphasis on their defense. as most of our players are now known for that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Obviously he is going to try and develop them into more rounded players; this and defense is his background. I like the idea that he will put an emphasis on their defense. as most of our players are not known for that.

Fixed a typo

• Premium Member
On 6/30/2018 at 1:49 AM, NBASupes said:

How is Jason Williams a possibility? He's already better in several key areas than Williams. The issue with Young is, will be he a star or an elite 6th man? Williams was never going to be more than a lower end starting PG. He wasn't a great shooter, wasn't a great scorer, didn't have good PG skills, all he was, was a flashy Pistol Pete like player without the scoring chops. 

Young has that Westbrook/Rose arc. They are all too usage heavy to be anything else. 

Young hasn't played one game yet.   Williams in one of his best seasons put up 12, 8, and 3 while shooting 35% from three.  I would love to see Young get there.   Understand, he's just as undersized as Williams was and will have to deal with the same things Williams did. 

On 6/30/2018 at 9:47 AM, bleachkit said:

Male pattern baldness has been scientifically proven to be somewhat correlated with high levels of intelligence (baldness is more prevalent among scientists, academics, etc.), so perhaps bald=highBBIQ.

Well I hope my IQ remains low, because f*** going bald 

• Like 1

• Moderators

He'll be an All-Star, but my gut says he's the type of star that'll join up other stars elsewhere and not the type that'll attract them to Atlanta.  That may just be my fear speaking here, but I think he'll be the PG we need in Atlanta.  The street ball PG days are numbered as long as Schro doesn't wear off on Trae.

18 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

He'll be an All-Star, but my gut says he's the type of star that'll join up other stars elsewhere and not the type that'll attract them to Atlanta.  That may just be my fear speaking here, but I think he'll be the PG we need in Atlanta.  The street ball PG days are numbered as long as Schro doesn't wear off on Trae.

Idk he seems like a really loyal type of guy, and players seem to like him. I think if he starts play up to his potential he definitely has the chance to bring other players here. The culture surrounding the team will also dictate that though.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Flight said:

Idk he seems like a really loyal type of guy, and players seem to like him. I think if he starts play up to his potential he definitely has the chance to bring other players here. The culture surrounding the team will also dictate that though.

A lot of guys successfully recruit each other to join up in college.  That definitely did not happen, although that may have been a deliberate choice to feature his game and boost his NBA stock.  I hate the recruiting part of the game in the NBA but if it is going to be a part of the game going forward (and every indication is that is exactly what will happen) then I want him successfully doing it for us.  Hope he keeps it up and becomes a bright enough star to attract others.

Am 30.6.2018 at 17:02 , JCDBaptist sagte:

Your name says it all. The writing is on the wall and I guess you will be following D17 on the way out. 

This is a franchise for real fans, not the bandwagoners or faint of heart. So you think that joke of a joke you just told is going to hurt feelings? We can tell whose feelings are hurt.

Oh yeah, Trae Young will be much better than Me-nnis!! No one wants him even with what I consider a decent salary for a 'starting' point guard. He will go somewhere and be the sulking 6th.

if this young guy would be someone drafted and be looking like doncic, russel westbrook or chris paul, i wouldnt be making these comments.

i honestly think this franchise sucks for reasons. and not just because of this draft, but basically every decision since ferry left has been straight garbage. this draft has just been the cherry on top an not just because young is a freshman hype product that the bugman in charge wants to base this video game startegy around, but also because dennis "the big schwanz lederhosenmaster" schröder becomes even harder to trade.

which i really wish for all partys involved. i can not believe anyone want to the watch the hawks next few years, much less play for this weird organisation when your a guy like dennis who has proven to be the best man on the floor countless times and had the heart to play trough a dwight and a tanking season and getting all the flack.

and also so you and ur ilk can go ahead and enjoy as minutes as possible from the balding guy ymca baller, who "has it all".

1 minute ago, DS17Fanboy said:

if this young guy would be someone drafted and be looking like doncic, russel westbrook or chris paul, i wouldnt be making these comments.

i honestly think this franchise sucks for reasons. and not just because of this draft, but basically every decision since ferry left has been straight garbage. this draft has just been the cherry on top an not just because young is a freshman hype product that the bugman in charge wants to base this video game startegy around, but also because dennis "the big schwanz lederhosenmaster" schröder becomes even harder to trade.

which i really wish for all partys involved. i can not believe anyone want to the watch the hawks next few years, much less play for this weird organisation when your a guy like dennis who has proven to be the best man on the floor countless times and had the heart to play trough a dwight and a tanking season and getting all the flack.

and also so you and ur ilk can go ahead and enjoy as minutes as possible from the balding guy ymca baller, who "has it all".

Dennis is an average point guard with on the court, off the court, and locker room issues. He’s not that good. He’s not going to help us win that many games. Hell, we can’t even trade him.

Doncic is overhyped. No need to beat that dead horse.

Young isn’t and shouldn’t be the Day 1 starter. 

But Dennis just isn’t that good. I can name about 10-14 PG that are better.

4 minutes ago, DS17Fanboy said:

go ahead

No particular order: Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowery, John Wall, Damian Lillard, Kemba Walker, Isaiah Thomas, Jeff Teague, Russell Westbrook, Eric Bledsoe

No particular order: Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowery, John Wall, Damian Lillard, Kemba Walker, Isaiah Thomas, Jeff Teague, Russell Westbrook, Eric Bledsoe

I disagree with IT, Teague and Bledsoe being better today. Even if those 3 and everyone you mentioned are better, you're saying that Dennis is still a top 15 PG in the league. That's not bad.

And let's not go crazy, we all know about his off court issues, and his on court production. But the locker room thing has taken a life of its own now.. There's nothing out there evidencing that he's a locker room problem. And don't quote TP's tweet, I mean something concrete.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I'd add:

James Harden (if you classify him as a point), Goran Dragic, and Jrue Holiday as three others I'd take over him if I had to try to win games this season and could take my pick of anyone to run the point.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, DS5 said:

I disagree with IT, Teague and Bledsoe being better today. Even if those 3 and everyone you mentioned are better, you're saying that Dennis is still a top 15 PG in the league. That's not bad.

And let's not go crazy, we all know about his off court issues, and his on court production. But the locker room thing has taken a life of its own now.. There's nothing out there evidencing that he's a locker room problem. And don't quote TP's tweet, I mean something concrete.

Between the legal problems and the strange stuff like the interviews indicating he might want to leave the team and removing all the Hawks related items from his social media accounts there is a lot of smoke off the court.  Hopefully, it will add up to nothing and he can take the next steps forward in his career.

Between the legal problems and the strange stuff like the interviews indicating he might want to leave the team and removing all the Hawks related items from his social media accounts there is a lot of smoke off the court.  Hopefully, it will add up to nothing and he can take the next steps forward in his career.

Completely agree with you. The off court issues are real and it shows his immaturity. But i was responding to the idea that Dennis is "not that good." I still think he's already a great player has the potential to be great with good teammates. That said, I'm all in on Trae and hope he becomes a superstar.