• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did the Hawks make a mistake.....

Diesel

Couple points:  

JJ as our biggest FA sign?  He was a trade not a true FA.  Mutombo is our biggest FA sign.

Orlando is the example of the team that avoids vets?  WTF narrative is that?  They went after Millsap among numerous other vet FAs. After failing to sign a high dollar vet FA, they traded Oladipo for Ibaka so they could “add veteran talent and win now.”  That was actually the textbook example of trying to move away from youth too early.  They are an example of incompetence — not the poster child for trying to avoid vets.

NO is the poster child for the team that thought they were ready to stop drafting and go with Vet’s after they drafted AD.  It has let to a continually depleted roster because free agency is an inefficient and risky market.

The people saying Boogie actually fits with tanking have a reasonable argument.  Any reasonable projection has to have Cousins missing most of the season and struggling some on his return.  That is the nature of the injury.  Really come down to how much risk you are willing to bite off in future years with his attitude (he is more strange than a cancer) and the risk of his recovery.  I can see a solid case for signing him to a 3 year deal with a team option in year 3 or something like that so that you basically give him this year off and then play a couple years with him after recovery.  You then have bird rights or can move on.

Thank you! Signing Cousins isn't risk free, but it's a unique opportunity to add premier talent without sabotaging our losing efforts this year.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

You are worried about Trae busting but you are willing to risk 30 million a year of our future on a 280 lb man coming off an Achilles injury. He is going to suffer moderate to high inflammation for the following 3 to 9 months after he gets on the court. If he has any set back at all, that could continue for the rest of his career,

The Pelicans probably like Boogie a lot and thought they were doing him right with that 40 million dollar offer. Basically it was one year to sit and recover, and a second year to try and play a full season.

Translation, 40 million for one season of games. He should have took that money and limped right back into rehab.

Yes.  You pick your bets.   I'm willing to bet that Cousins comes back from the Achilles injury and pick up where he left off.  Trae  is always going to be 6'0 with a 6'2" wingspan and a history of not playing defense.   My point is what is the next three years for us?  Are we gunning for some great FA?  If we were, could we get them here with the cast of characters we have.   Let me tell you now:  Bembry, Prince, Dennis, Baze, Plumlee, are all expendable. 

The players that we have who we should invest in is Collins, Trae, Spellman, and Dedmon.     Baze is iffy to me but his salary makes him expendable. 

I don't put any blame on Cousins for wanting more than a 2 year deal after having a 25/13/5 season....  The last guy who put up numbers like that was KG.   I think during the process, Cousins learned something.   He learned his true worth while injured.  But I would have given him a shot. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Read the below and then say Boogie is worth a max. Note Elton Brand same age as Boogie and what he said about having to jump with both legs and still never being as explosive as he was before the injury, Then note Wilkins.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1/27/16940178/demarcus-cousins-achilles-injury-golden-state-warriors-this-is-the-worst

The recovery time is faster now; but Nique who is 80 or pounds lighter than Boogie and Brand is the best recovery story.

Since Nique... Modern Medicine has improved.  I say you give it time and put the best on it.   One other thing about Nique.  Nique never worked out.   Nique was not in the gym.  He did more socializing and picking up women than he would working out and picking up weights.   So if he came back as well as he did, it suggests that there are other factors involved than just athletic ability. 

Since Nique... Modern Medicine has improved.  I say you give it time and put the best on it.   One other thing about Nique.  Nique never worked out.   Nique was not in the gym.  He did more socializing and picking up women than he would working out and picking up weights.   So if he came back as well as he did, it suggests that there are other factors involved than just athletic ability. 

Nique never worked out? So the greatest Hawk of all time was just born like that? Come on, I wasn't even born then and I know that's not true.

• Like 1