• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Right Now.. Trae Is...

Diesel

2 hours ago, NineOhTheRino said:

He is not a star player at this level.   Him trying to prove he is causing him to be an extremely inefficient in summer league.  there is a good chance his inefficiency will only get worse once the season starts. 

Posters like u need your head examined

@Buzzard laid it out perfectly for u

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, vdunkndunk said:

Josh Smith, if Josh Smith was 6’1 and couldn’t jump.

Fire Schlenk. Immediately. This is just gross to watch....it’s almost as gross as watching Trae Young play ball in college, except the shooting percentage is dipping even further.

This is what we did with the No. 3 pick. I literally think the Jazz wouldn’t trade is Grayson Allen for Trae Young straight up right now.

Schwateva...

15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Most HOF NBA PG's do not come out of the gate like CP3. Tony Parker averaged 9 points and 4 assist while shooting .402 from the field his first year. Steve Nash never averaged over 8.5 points or 5.5 assist until his 5th year and he had two seasons in his first four that he shot .423 and .363 from the field. Jason Kidd was just horrible from a efficiency standpoint until his 5th year and even then he was average at best.

I know we took Trae high but I not recall anyone saying he was the next CP3. Those few outsiders who compared him to Curry have admitted it is only because of his range and not his over all game or physical abilities.

This is what he is: the BPA and obviously the best Point Guard in the draft from Schlenk's perspective.

People like to harp on those of us have come to grips with reality and spin it into we are making excuses for Trae. I am no more making excuses for him as I am for Kidd, Nash, or Parker. It takes a little time for most point guards, no matter how good they are, to adapt to the NBA game. I am sure I can look up some more; Chauncey Billups just came to mind. But honestly, given the vast basketball knowledge of the members here, I don't think I should have to.

It took John Stockton 4 seasons to average 10 points per game.  On a side note, Stockton also shot a lethal 51.5% for his career as a PG. In that 4th NBA season he shot 57.4%.  In his first 5 seasons in the NBA he only shot over 30% from 3 once....season 4 he shot 35.8%.  First 5 years he shot; 18.2, 13.3, 17.9, 35.8 and 24.2% from 3.  He finished his career a 38.4% 3 point shooter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Most HOF NBA PG's do not come out of the gate like CP3. Tony Parker averaged 9 points and 4 assist while shooting .402 from the field his first year. Steve Nash never averaged over 8.5 points or 5.5 assist until his 5th year and he had two seasons in his first four that he shot .423 and .363 from the field. Jason Kidd was just horrible from a efficiency standpoint until his 5th year and even then he was average at best.

I know we took Trae high but I not recall anyone saying he was the next CP3. Those few outsiders who compared him to Curry have admitted it is only because of his range and not his over all game or physical abilities.

This is what he is: the BPA and obviously the best Point Guard in the draft from Schlenk's perspective.

People like to harp on those of us have come to grips with reality and spin it into we are making excuses for Trae. I am no more making excuses for him as I am for Kidd, Nash, or Parker. It takes a little time for most point guards, no matter how good they are, to adapt to the NBA game. I am sure I can look up some more; Chauncey Billups just came to mind. But honestly, given the vast basketball knowledge of the members here, I don't think I should have to.

And to be fair... CP3 hasn't won anything.

1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

And to be fair... CP3 hasn't won anything.

And this is why the players are teaming up like little B's instead out competing. Hots Chris Paul is a hall of fame worthy player already. Only one team can win a ring every year. Don't crap on guys for playing Susie match maker if we are going to keep with this tired argument. 

What series has Chris Paul lost when his team was more talented and favored? He forced himself to Houston to get a ring,  and had the most stacked team in his era on the ropes. If they had bested Golden State he would have some how been validated? Chris Paul  produced more win shares in his rookie season than Dennis Schröder has in his entire career.

My issue with Trae was, if you a top 5 pick, we need to be polished like Zeke or CP3 was. Trae didn't show much polish as a freshman at all. He just showed a great variance of talent. He is an exceptional talent with his passing, range and can score from anywhere but don't have the tools, measurables or the polish to really take full advantage of the talent he has at this time. 

If you gonna take a raw PG, I rather a freak athlete like Rose, Westbrook or Wall than a guy like Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Just my take. All of this Nash and Stockton talk, those were polished players out of college who just had to adjust to the speed of the game which took both of them years to do. They didn't have to learn polish as they already were polished. My feel for Young is he needs to get polish and learn the speed of the game. While Young is a lot more talented than Stockton and Nash, he also has a lot higher expectations and a much shorter time table to succeed. 

I wanted Bamba or Bagley. If not them then Doncic. I didn't want Young this high for this very reason. It's hard. I am just glad Dennis is here to be the starting PG and get a bulk of the minutes for the next couple of seasons.

34 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

And this is why the players are teaming up like little B's instead out competing. Hots Chris Paul is a hall of fame worthy player already. Only one team can win a ring every year. Don't crap on guys for playing Susie match maker if we are going to keep with this tired argument. 

What series has Chris Paul lost when his team was more talented and favored? He forced himself to Houston to get a ring,  and had the most stacked team in his era on the ropes. If they had bested Golden State he would have some how been validated? Chris Paul  produced more win shares in his rookie season than Dennis Schröder has in his entire career.

He didnt force his way on Houston, SAS was in position to get him, HOU came out of left field with a deal.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wanted Trae.  I'm happy we got him.  I think he's a great talent.   But even I know it'll take time and hopefully good coaching and mentorship before he's playing at a really high NBA level.  Let's be realistic.   But for all the years of having Hawks that had polish and desire but lacked talent, I'm happy to have real talent on the team even if we suffer through a lot of mistakes early on.   

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I wanted Trae.  I'm happy we got him.  I think he's a great talent.   But even I know it'll take time and hopefully good coaching and mentorship before he's playing at a really high NBA level.  Let's be realistic.   But for all the years of having Hawks that had polish and desire but lacked talent, I'm happy to have real talent on the team even if we suffer through a lot of mistakes early on.   

Trae will be the best point guard we’ve had in an Atlanta Hawks uniform ever by far once it’s all said and done. I’ve been watching Hawks basketball for 33+ years and haven’t seen this court vision from any Hawk pg ever!  He’s our guy moving forward. Great pick, now let him grow.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

My issue with Trae was, if you a top 5 pick, we need to be polished like Zeke or CP3 was. Trae didn't show much polish as a freshman at all. He just showed a great variance of talent. He is an exceptional talent with his passing, range and can score from anywhere but don't have the tools, measurables or the polish to really take full advantage of the talent he has at this time. 

If you gonna take a raw PG, I rather a freak athlete like Rose, Westbrook or Wall than a guy like Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Just my take. All of this Nash and Stockton talk, those were polished players out of college who just had to adjust to the speed of the game which took both of them years to do. They didn't have to learn polish as they already were polished. My feel for Young is he needs to get polish and learn the speed of the game. While Young is a lot more talented than Stockton and Nash, he also has a lot higher expectations and a much shorter time table to succeed. 

I wanted Bamba or Bagley. If not them then Doncic. I didn't want Young this high for this very reason. It's hard. I am just glad Dennis is here to be the starting PG and get a bulk of the minutes for the next couple of seasons.

He didnt force his way on Houston, SAS was in position to get him, HOU came out of left field with a deal.

Bagley or Bamba are polished? Bamba is raw is hell. And Im just not a fan of Bagley's game at  all. And me not liking left handed bbball players doesnt help..:laugh:

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Bagley or Bamba are polished? Bamba is raw is hell. And Im just not a fan of Bagley's game at  all. And me not liking left handed bbball players doesnt help..:laugh:

Bagley isnt raw. Bamba is. Bamba plays a position where the depth is low and they are start ASAP. Trae plays PG. The hardest and deepest position in the NBA. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Saying you would rather have a Rose, Westbrook or Wall type after the fact is like me saying I would rather have a David Robinson or Tim Duncan type instead of Bamba or Bagley.

You call Nash and Stockton polished. I call them Seniors when they were drafted and it still took them years to adapt to the NBA. I will never say a bad word about any of the players mentioned in this post; and at just 19, I do like Trae's chances to be a really good to great player.

• Like 3

Trae is getting outplayed in summer league by quite a few guards including SAG, Colin Sexton, De'anthony Melton. Trae's a great passer, but he his lack of length and athleticism is a big disadvantage. I'm just not sure how he's going to get his points night in and night out. Right now I still think the draft night trade was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Trae will be the best point guard we’ve had in an Atlanta Hawks uniform ever by far once it’s all said and done. I’ve been watching Hawks basketball for 33+ years and haven’t seen this court vision from any Hawk pg ever!  He’s our guy moving forward. Great pick, now let him grow.

You get my extra special, booty shaking, finger waving, duck-faced high 5 "like". Those are special, pin it to your fridge.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bagley isnt raw. Bamba is. Bamba plays a position where the depth is low and they are start ASAP. Trae plays PG. The hardest and deepest position in the NBA. 

Consider this:  Trae is currently playing against guys who get 10 fouls, are diving at legs, undercutting dunkers (seriously, WTF was that portland player thinking on the Collins dunk), while playing with the likes of Kaba, Landale, Adams and Jaylen Morris (who has been terrible in summer league).  When he's leaving the ball for Prince, Bembry, Baze, Dedmon and even Moose, his assist numbers are going to skyrocket.  Summer league has been painful to watch...not just because of the out of control foul fests...but the missed wide open jumpers have hurt my soul.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You get my extra special, booty shaking, finger waving, duck-faced high 5 "like". Those are special, pin it to your fridge.

It’s an honor. I screenshot that bad boy. I’ll always have it now! ? 

• Premium Member

I am baffled at the coaching reaction to his shot selection. I've never seen a player with a worse shot selection in my life than him. That includes Josh Smith. This kid will pull up with 20 seconds on the shot clock and take a forty foot three point shot for absolutely zero reason.

I would think the coaching staff would ball him out on the sidelines for plays like that but I didn't notice anything. There's a rather large difference between 2 seconds left on the shot clock and having to take a shot wherever you are on the court and chucking up forty foot three point shots with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Hopefully there's behind the scenes coaching going on to get that mess sorted out pronto. The scarier thing is that based on SL play it seems to be the only three point shot he's actually made. What little threes he hit were from the way, way downtown variety.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Consider this:  Trae is currently playing against guys who get 10 fouls, are diving at legs, undercutting dunkers (seriously, WTF was that portland player thinking on the Collins dunk), while playing with the likes of Kaba, Landale, Adams and Jaylen Morris (who has been terrible in summer league).  When he's leaving the ball for Prince, Bembry, Baze, Dedmon and even Moose, his assist numbers are going to skyrocket.  Summer league has been painful to watch...not just because of the out of control foul fests...but the missed wide open jumpers have hurt my soul.

No one seems to understand this scrum modicum operandi of so-called basketball. (I just jumbled words together...nice sounding though). 

Some of these games are worse than AAU games with the hugging and man bonding going on.  Trae is definitely being scrutinized heavily with a team of vagabonds as his supporting cast so I've only drawn a conclusion that his vision and passing are better than any pg's we've had in many years.  His shot selection needs work and eventually his shot is going to have to fall consistently.  Other than that, wringing hands about where he was selected won't do anyone any good.  I think he'll be more than fine and his critics will hate it.

• Like 2