• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Pumped for Trae

volman

• Moderators

I think those make me feel slightly better about his SL offense and worse about his summer D.  (Saw them in another thread).  Interesting but SL doesn’t mean much.  Looking forward to seeing this type of content when the regular season starts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I think those make me feel slightly better about his SL offense and worse about his summer D.  (Saw them in another thread).  Interesting but SL doesn’t mean much.  Looking forward to seeing this type of content when the regular season starts.

I think his effort will be there. I just just hope Lin can be healthy stabilizing force.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I think his effort will be there. I just just hope Lin can be healthy stabilizing force.

The video questions his effort in transition D and off the ball D during SL.  The video creator opines that his effort was fine on the ball.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

The video questions his effort in transition D and off the ball D during SL.  The video creator opines that his effort was fine on the ball.

I know and I am not lol. Over 1/2 of his miscues were going for the steal ( bad decision but it requires effort ) or taking off after the wrong player ( focus but some would call it lack of experience at the NBA level ).  I don't know where they were in some of those games; but I did notice him and Spellman both sucking wind and bending over resting on their knees in the 4th quarter of those early Utah games.

I am not going to split hairs over a few summer league games and blow out losses. Lets at least let him get coached up, enduranced ( new word )  up, and through preseason first. Trae wants to be a winner; his effort will determine whether he is or not. Time will tell and I have more of that than money.

• Like 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am not going to split hairs over a few summer league games and blow out losses. 

Totally agree.  I’m not making judgments until we are looking at real footage.  SL isn’t meaningful.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I know and I am not lol. Over 1/2 of his miscues were going for the steal ( bad decision but it requires effort ) or taking off after the wrong player ( focus but some would call it lack of experience at the NBA level ).  I don't know where they were in some of those games; but I did notice him and Spellman both sucking wind and bending over resting on their knees in the 4th quarter of those early Utah games.

I am not going to split hairs over a few summer league games and blow out losses. Lets at least let him get coached up, enduranced ( new word )  up, and through preseason first. Trae wants to be a winner; his effort will determine whether he is or not. Time will tell and I have more of that than money.

This is a direct result of playing the zone primarily in college.  A ton of things happen in the zone.  You are playing an area, not man so you only get back if the man in your zone goes cherry picking, you run back to your zone, not to men (except for centers).  Many players struggle year one adjusting to man defense and screen switching as well as transition.  Easier transition for big men.  This is the main reason PG - SG almost never play big minutes year one.  If I was Pierce and company, I'd be focusing a ton on how to defend man in every situation but half court (that takes forever) and how to attack in transition.  You saw this game 1-2 in Utah...Trae was actually running at people on O in transition because he was expecting the defender to float to his zoned area. He really struggled getting man'd up in transition on offense. It was a new experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

This is a direct result of playing the zone primarily in college.  A ton of things happen in the zone.  You are playing an area, not man so you only get back if the man in your zone goes cherry picking, you run back to your zone, not to men (except for centers).  Many players struggle year one adjusting to man defense and screen switching as well as transition.  Easier transition for big men.  This is the main reason PG - SG almost never play big minutes year one.  If I was Pierce and company, I'd be focusing a ton on how to defend man in every situation but half court (that takes forever) and how to attack in transition.  You saw this game 1-2 in Utah...Trae was actually running at people on O in transition because he was expecting the defender to float to his zoned area. He really struggled getting man'd up in transition on offense. It was a new experience.

No doubt about this, I like it when our players do well. Don't when they suck. But for me summer league is about fun. I reserve all judgement for actual NBA games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Jody23 said:

A couple of videos that break down Trae Young's game in Summer League:

Lol at criticizing any player's defensive effort in the later quarters of a summer league game in Utah after a number of games in a row!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Dude just signed a multiyear, multi-million dollar rookie contract. I guarantee you he got laid out there and the legs were dead...Just sayin.

As I said, Summer League is about fun :boobs:

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

High Altitude

Even your chosen coach agrees with me:

I think that is an important aspect any time you're trying to develop a culture: what can you control? It's your effort. We want to attack the day, every single day from start to finish. We want to start building habits.

There is also a Navy Seal quote that I like:

We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”

This quote is relative to what you do under pressure.  So, under the pressure of a SUMMER LEAGUE game, Trae got tired and gave very little effort at times defensively.  That is unacceptable!  Because if he does that in summer league, there is a good chance he does that in a real game when the pressure is on.  This is a player I like as well.  Lloyd Pierce has to drawn the line from the very beginning and let it be known that lack of effort will not be tolerated.  One of my concerns with Trae was talked about by Sam Vecenie in a podcast with Cole Zwicker the other day.  Sam said in Las Vegas, one of the things he heard from the scouts and nba executives who were there about Trae was that Trae had the attitude that the transition to the NBA was going to be easy for him going through workouts.  I hope Utah was a wake up call for him, because that's an AAU attitude that he needs to leave at the door.