• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency...cont'd

JayBirdHawk

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree this doesn't make SA look good but Kawhi also comes out pretty bad.  I think it is a safe bet that he jerked them around like crazy to get them into this position.  You've seen the frustration from a lot of different people not known for their frustration.  And Kawhi lets his crazy relatives do his talking for him.  Very strange.

But is this true though?  Only quotes on the matter I've seen have been from media people citing "sources", nothing direct.  I've heard people who've spoken to folks close to him who suggest the notion that he's a puppet of his uncle is ludicrous and the fact that the Spurs turned on him is why he's chosen not to set the record straight.  Figuring, why bother at this point.  The dye has been cast.  All he wants to do is play so .. just play.

It looks to me like the Spurs got miffed at the 2nd-opinion request then Kawhii didn't fully communicate with them. Then the organization went over the top on the guy.

Screw the Spurs, mayne.  What were they before Timmay?  Something tells me that's what they'll be now that he's gone.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

But is this true though?  Only quotes on the matter I've seen have been from media people citing "sources", nothing direct.  I've heard people who've spoken to folks close to him who suggest the notion that he's a puppet of his uncle is ludicrous and the fact that the Spurs turned on him is why he's chosen not to set the record straight.  Figuring, why bother at this point.  The dye has been cast.  All he wants to do is play so .. just play.

It looks to me like the Spurs got miffed at the 2nd-opinion request then Kawhii didn't fully communicate with them. Then the organization went over the top on the guy.

Screw the Spurs, mayne.  What were they before Timmay?  Something tells me that's what they'll be now that he's gone.

I don't think he is a puppet of his uncle but he has let him step into the role of his key advisor while Kawhi has simultaneously played an unusually non-public role.  Seems undisputed that the team was forced to working things through Robertson as Kawhi cut off communications.  So it doesn't make SA look good but  I would be pissed if a player stayed away from the team's doctors (that by itself is less of an issue given their problems), refused to go out on injury status to open a spot to cover his absence, kept giving return dates he never actually returned on, and then avoided team management when they tried to meet with him.  While he was being paid $19M.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think he is a puppet of his uncle but he has let him step into the role of his key advisor while Kawhi has simultaneously played an unusually non-public role.  Seems undisputed that the team was forced to working things through Robertson as Kawhi cut off communications.  So it doesn't make SA look good but  I would be pissed if a player stayed away from the team's doctors (that by itself is less of an issue given their problems), refused to go out on injury status to open a spot to cover his absence, kept giving return dates he never actually returned on, and then avoided team management when they tried to meet with him.  While he was being paid $19M.

Again, we don't know if any of that is true.  Unless you choose to blindly believe what SAS has put out.  I simply don't believe the version of events they've put out.  I mean, really?  Isn't it odd that each and every 'sourced' story paints the Spurs as the victim and Kawhii as some diva and his uncle as some crazed evil genius?  That doesn't strike you as odd?  They know, good and well, that their tripe will go unopposed and they're taking full advantage of it.

Do we know the degree to which he cutoff comms?  Nope, we just know he didn't do what SAS wanted him to do.

Do we know he gave them return dates?  Nope.  To me, it seems more like they gave him return dates which weren't met ... because he was still in pain ... which they doubted, incorrectly.

Do we know he refused to go out on 'injury status'?  Nope.  Since they were the one expecting him to return, doesn't it stand to reason that they'd want him not on any type of 'injury status' which would've precluded his return?

Do we know that fabled secret escape mission where he avoided management in NY actually happened the way it was reported?  Nope.  In fact, another guy reported after the fact that the story was false and that the idea that they spirited him away like this was the friggin underground railroad or something was just ridiculous.

Before all this happened, Leonard was seen as the 'perfect' Spur.  Hard working, tough as nails, well-behaved.  A dream on and off the court.  Now, after defying the Spur Empire one time, he's a diva, he's unable to deal with the media, he's unwilling to accept responsibility, he's a 'system player', he ran afoul of the 'real' Spur greats.  On and on and on.

This is 2018 character assassination, mayne, and I'll not stand for it.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Again, we don't know if any of that is true.  Unless you choose to blindly believe what SAS has put out.  I simply don't believe the version of events they've put out.  I mean, really?  Isn't it odd that each and every 'sourced' story paints the Spurs as the victim and Kawhii as some diva and his uncle as some crazed evil genius?  That doesn't strike you as odd?  They know, good and well, that their tripe will go unopposed and they're taking full advantage of it.

Do we know the degree to which he cutoff comms?  Nope, we just know he didn't do what SAS wanted him to do.

Do we know he gave them return dates?  Nope.  To me, it seems more like they gave him return dates which weren't met ... because he was still in pain ... which they doubted, incorrectly.

Do we know he refused to go out on 'injury status'?  Nope.  Since they were the one expecting him to return, doesn't it stand to reason that they'd want him not on any type of 'injury status' which would've precluded his return?

Do we know that fabled secret escape mission where he avoided management in NY actually happened the way it was reported?  Nope.  In fact, another guy reported after the fact that the story was false and that the idea that they spirited him away like this was the friggin underground railroad or something was just ridiculous.

Before all this happened, Leonard was seen as the 'perfect' Spur.  Hard working, tough as nails, well-behaved.  A dream on and off the court.  Now, after defying the Spur Empire one time, he's a diva, he's unable to deal with the media, he's unwilling to accept responsibility, he's a 'system player', he ran afoul of the 'real' Spur greats.  On and on and on.

The only reason I think there’s some truth to it is one the nature of the injury and two Kawhi has not been hiding his hand about his interest in California teams (He’s from Cali). Back injuries are one of those things where you can be dishonest and not be medically disproven. Hence this is why I think he’s just trying to strong arm his way to Cali.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

The best reason to believe most of that stuff is the repeated reports of when Kawhi was going to be returning with even guys like Pops announced his expected return only to have to backtrack and eventually shrug his shoulders with visible frustration at the idea that he couldn't share anything reliable.  That is credible to me because I really don't see Pops announcing Leonard's expected return when Leonard hadn't notified the team of it just to troll Kawhi at a time when they wanted him back for the playoffs.

I don't think either side is perfect but Kawhi comes off worse to me for sure.  I think that is also why the Jordan brand is walking away from him.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

The best reason to believe most of that stuff is the repeated reports of when Kawhi was going to be returning with even guys like Pops announced his expected return only to have to backtrack and eventually shrug his shoulders with visible frustration at the idea that he couldn't share anything reliable.  That is credible to me because I really don't see Pops announcing Leonard's expected return when Leonard hadn't notified the team of it just to troll Kawhi at a time when they wanted him back for the playoffs.

I don't think either side is perfect but Kawhi comes off worse to me for sure.  I think that is also why the Jordan brand is walking away from him.

No, Jordan Brand allegedly didn't loke the fact that he wouldn't wear their wacky shoe designs.  Like Kyrie's lobster shoes, off-color models, etc. 

He apparently just wanted to wear the colorways they made for him.  Not saying he was in the right/wrong.  I just think it's wrong to lump it all in together and go, "See, see even Jordan wants no part of the guy!!!"

I think it's unfair to leave these hairs unsplit.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, kg01 said:

No, Jordan Brand allegedly didn't loke the fact that he wouldn't wear their wacky shoe designs.  Like Kyrie's lobster shoes, off-color models, etc. 

He apparently just wanted to wear the colorways they made for him.  Not saying he was in the right/wrong.  I just think it's wrong to lump it all in together and go, "See, see even Jordan wants no part of the guy!!!"

I think it's unfair to leave these hairs unsplit.

You have to be kidding if you don't think his past year of silence and weirdness played a big part in this.  Jordan wants people out in the public eye to promote their product.  When someone deliberately goes off the radar and gets a barrage of negative press, that is the opposite of what they are paying for.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Just heard this on the jump. Capella signed by Rockets to 5 years and 90 million.

Oh my goodness! I don't want to hear the words Baze and over paid in the same sentence ever again

• Like 2

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Oh my goodness! I don't want to hear the words Baze and over paid in the same sentence ever again

lol, just because they do it does not make it alright for us to do it. Kid sticks his hand in the fire; don't be a numb-nut and follow suit.

• Premium Member
Just now, Buzzard said:

lol, just because they do it does not make it alright for us to do it. Kid sticks his hand in the fire; don't be a numb-nut and follow suit.

Eveyone is doing it...CP3, PG, Z. Lavine, Gordon etc

• Moderators

Houston is going for rings right now.  I don't blame them for spending extra to maximize their roster while the window is open.  Capela will be paid less than Baze per season the next two years and is more of a standout.  In short, expect to hear more about Baze being overpaid.  :facts3:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Houston is going for rings right now.  I don't blame them for spending extra to maximize their roster while the window is open.  Capela will be paid less than Baze and is more of a standout.  In short, expect to hear more about Baze being overpaid.  :facts3:

The Rockets will be significantly worse this season.  Paul will play fewer than 50 games and we'll see how valuable Capela is without Paul.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The Rockets will be significantly worse this season.  Paul will play fewer than 50 games and we'll see how valuable Capela is without Paul.

That is the nightmare they face. CP3 steadily going downhill while on that big new contract. Morley is crazy good at making lemonade of lemons though; so I would not count him out.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

His last season without Paul (when he was 22) he put up great numbers.  I don't think he'll fall off the map in his age 24 season.

Just now, Buzzard said:

That is the nightmare they face. CP3 steadily going downhill while on that big new contract. Morey is crazy good at making lemonade of lemons though; so I would not count him out.

Fixed

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I thought for a second that Morlon Wiley came back...through those ? as one individual..

MORLY!!!! DUN DUN DUUUUUUU (dragnet)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe it is because I am closer to this guys age than you are. :Nique: