• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have the Hawks shown any interest in Clint Capela

NBASupes

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It’s Smart who we should be targeting ... we badly need that perimeter defense that he provides and he would the right mate next to Young

Kings 'preparing' offer for Smart.

He's turned down $13 mil/year from Houston, looking for $20 per....eeech.

He should be happy with 13 mil per. If he's not careful Houston's number might go down. There's no one left with cap space that'd be interested in him. What he should be pushing for is a player option to opt out after 2 years.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He should be happy with 13 mil per. If he's not careful Houston's number might go down. There's no one left with cap space that'd be interested in him. What he should be pushing for is a player option to opt out after 2 years.

Or he can take his QO, buy a huge insurance policy against injury this season, and become an UFA next year.

• Like 1

• Admin
35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would not give him 20 million ... I would cap at 15 which might be a reach ... 13 was a good price point for him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

I'd agree with all of that. If Young becomes a high usage, offensive juggernaut, then someone like Capela makes sense down the road. If we're signing an RFA center, I wouldn't mind making a serious run at Myles Turner next year. Worse rebounder and defender, but he can hit threes, move well in space and could function similarly enough on defense. I imagine he'd also look better with a PG like Trae setting him up. Can't be worse than the carousel he's had in the position in Indiana.

If we are building our team right, I don’t want our center taking 3pt shots. We will have ample number of shooters in spots 1-4. Our center of the future should be able to make free throws, run the floor, rebound, block shots and hit a mid-range jumper. 

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

No but there are not many guys like Capela and considering the style of play we are moving to. He would be the perfect center for that style. 

Agreed ! Plus he’s still young I say get it done Schlenk 

I think we aren’t considering how good Capela is on the defensive end. Yes his offense is limited but the guy can set solid screens, roll hard to the rim, actually FINISH, switch out on every position, he’s 6’10 has good lateral quick feet, and he does make a defensive impact!

hes better than draymond in my opinion and he beasted draymond in the WCF for the most part.

no he doesn’t have much offense but every position on the floor don’t have to drop 20 points per game. If we have good passers on the team he’s good for 13 to 14 pts per game

Here's the problem with Clint Capela and his fit offensively next to Collins.  While Collins has definitely expanded his game, he's still not what I would consider to be a jump shooting big man.  He's still going to need space to work with, and if  you put a guy like Capela next two him, you are going to effectively diminish that space he has to work with on offense.  Capela is not going to space the floor, and you don't want to create a situation where you take away John's ability to attack the rim.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I think we aren’t considering how good Capela is on the defensive end. Yes his offense is limited but the guy can set solid screens, roll hard to the rim, actually FINISH, switch out on every position, he’s 6’10 has good lateral quick feet, and he does make a defensive impact!

hes better than draymond in my opinion and he beasted draymond in the WCF for the most part.

no he doesn’t have much offense but every position on the floor don’t have to drop 20 points per game. If we have good passers on the team he’s good for 13 to 14 pts per game

I agree on his defense, however, on our team that would have diminished value.  He can get away with being so one-sided because of who he plays with.

Again, the Biyombo comparison is apt here.  Absent transcendent offensive talent to offset his deficiencies, the defense is just not enough to justify paying him $100mil+.

Plus, at the dollar figure he's wanting, that's a player you expect to be a leader.  He ain't that either.  How's he gonna yell at Rayford for taking a bad shot when Rayf can just yell back at him, "Bruh, try hitting a shot outside 8-feet before you tell me anything.  I gott jak up dees long-2's 'cause nobody guards your a**."

20 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I really don't think it's all that teachable. You gotta have the gift, BBIQ and the mentality 

Agreed with above. I a guess the gift equals physical tools height(+wingspan)/athleticism/motor. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I agree on his defense, however, on our team that would have diminished value.  He can get away with being so one-sided because of who he plays with.

Again, the Biyombo comparison is apt here.  Absent transcendent offensive talent to offset his deficiencies, the defense is just not enough to justify paying him $100mil+.

Plus, at the dollar figure he's wanting, that's a player you expect to be a leader.  He ain't that either.  How's he gonna yell at Rayford for taking a bad shot when Rayf can just yell back at him, "Bruh, try hitting a shot outside 8-feet before you tell me anything.  I gott jak up dees long-2's 'cause nobody guards your a**."

I don't think Biyombo comparison is real.  Capela has been a solid starter whereas Biyombo hasn't had even a single season where he was a quality starter.  Biyombo hit big based on a few high profile playoff games.  What I'd say more generally is that Capela is a stud role player and shouldn't be getting the kind of contract he wants from a team in our position.  He is a great piece on a contending team but will absolutely disappoint if someone tries to make him a cornerstone of a rebuilding squad.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

This might be ignorant of me, but is there anything Capella does, that someone like Biyombo couldn't provide 80% of? Capella is too limited for me to be excited about, I think you can teach a lot of guys to do what he does.

Hmm.. not sure how Capella is so underrated right now. Capella is a hell of a player, and his per 36min stats are actually All Star worthy with All NBA type of efficiency in the mix to boot. He would be an amazing get, and would be a perennial All Star in the east. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Hmm.. not sure how Capella is so underrated right now. Capella is a hell of a player, and his per 36min stats are actually All Star worthy with All NBA type of efficiency in the mix to boot. He would be an amazing get, and would be a perennial All Star in the east. 

24.5 PER, .242 WS per 48. Per 36 min averages of 18 points 14 boards and 2.5 blocks with an incredibly low usage rate of 19%. Doesn't turn the ball over. Not sure he is worth 20 million but he is a stud player and Houston will lose a lot if he walks. 

3 minutes ago, sillent said:

I'd (as in the Rockets) see if he'd work in the middle and offer 4yrs 75 - 80mil. If he's asking for more than that I'd say go get it & if he can't give him $70 - $75. He's earned that much (from them) but unless he shows a yr or 2 worth of increased range in this league I can't see paying him $100 mil +

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

24.5 PER, .242 WS per 48. Per 36 min averages of 18 points 14 boards and 2.5 blocks with an incredibly low usage rate of 19%. Doesn't turn the ball over. Not sure he is worth 20 million but he is a stud player and Houston will lose a lot if he walks. 

His per minute stats are boosted by his limited responsibilities and very defined role with Houston.  In particular, he is set up to take almost nothing but high % shots.  Both Harden and Paul do a great job feeding him in good spots and with the number of 3pt shooter on the floor, he has plenty of space to work/drive inside.  He is frequently the only real big on the floor which also helps his RB/min numbers.  

So I agree that his numbers are studly - I just don't think they would translate to a much higher responsibility role for the Hawks.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

His per minute stats are boosted by his limited responsibilities and very defined role with Houston.  In particular, he is set up to take almost nothing but high % shots.  Both Harden and Paul do a great job feeding him in good spots and with the number of 3pt shooter on the floor, he has plenty of space to work/drive inside.  He is frequently the only real big on the floor which also helps his RB/min numbers.  

So I agree that his numbers are studly - I just don't think they would translate to a much higher responsibility role for the Hawks.

Why are we penalizing Capela for finishing well? ...let’s be honest there’s not enough centers finishing well when rolling hard to the basket. I get his responsibilities on offense are low but he still has to finish when the ball is thrown to him and he does a great job of doing that. He makes harden and cp3 job easy as well. It works both ways.

on the flip side he gets rebounds and play defense on switches and in the paint. Two things I feel schlenk need to seriously consider with us building around Trae now.

toss him 80-85 mil and if Houston match then ok. But Capela is the perfect big man in today’s nba but without the 3 point shot. I think Capela can make life easier on the other young hawks just my 2 cents and trust me if anyone knows offense prevails over defense in the nba on this board it’s me!...I bitch about that almost every other post but at the same time I KNOW it’s unrealistic that we are going to have 5 starters who all can score. .....it’s just not happening