• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

15 minutes ago, DS17Fanboy said:

my thoughts are, if anyone is gonna mentor someone its trae mentoring dennis on how to grow a hitler mustache to go with his goldy patch.

no srsly. dennis is a good kid, but not in a position to mentor. the latest move undermined of what whas left of his starting point guard gravitas. he needs to go and leave this sinking ship. hawks will never get anything done outside of the need of enabling bugmen pipedreams and dennis his talent and drive is wasted here.

Aw.  Don't be that way, DS.

Ich bin ein ... butthurt?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's what I'm sitting there thinking. The Nets moved Lin to us which does absolutely nothing for us and then they turn around and made the trade Schtink should have made in the first place. We go from having cap space to make exactly the deal the Nets did to use our cap space to get a first rounder from someone to...this. Lin as a 3rd pg? Really?

Something smells. BKN got 1st AND a 2nd.

I don't buy the 3rd PG B.S., we could have bring Isaiah Taylor back, hell even sign IT for the vet min he took from Denver.  Doesn't seem like a good use of capspace now to get a 2nd round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.

The mentor thing?   that only works if Lin can GET and STAY on the floor.

Something smells - seems like another move to fill Philips arena with the LinSanity fans for what will be another season of loosing.

(Oh we still have ~$7.5 mil in capspace)

Having said that....I'll withhold overall judgement until the dust has settled and see what else is to come.....cause there has to be something else. This can't be it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This move speaks to a few things. 

1.  NJ needed to clear some cap space to get a first rounder from Denver. 

2.  Schlenk likes Lin better than Dennis.

3.  Dennis is seeing the Door... if not he should because the door is coming. 

I would guess the deal is done... Dennis for Vucevic.

Vucevic/Collins/Prince/Baze/Lin - this is probably what we start the season off with.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's what I'm sitting there thinking. The Nets moved Lin to us which does absolutely nothing for us and then they turn around and made the trade Schtink should have made in the first place. We go from having cap space to make exactly the deal the Nets did to use our cap space to get a first rounder from someone to...this. Lin as a 3rd pg? Really?

Because we don't want that space till next year.  This move (regardless of what happens to Dennis) is cap neutral for next year. But it gives us options midseason, a tutor and even free agent worth a rip isn't signing for less than 4 years. This gets us a vet piece for 1 year, maintaining that space.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, thecampster said:

Because we don't want that space till next year.  This move (regardless of what happens to Dennis) is cap neutral for next year. But it gives us options midseason, a tutor and even free agent worth a rip isn't signing for less than 4 years. This gets us a vet piece for 1 year, maintaining that space.

Faried and Arthur are ALSO expiring contracts so that doesn't affect our capspace for next season. Faried's contract is a similar amount to Lin's. Faried could also be an option to make a move midseason and he's at least healthy.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

We could have done exactly that with Denver. Look at the what the Nets did literally as soon as they traded Lin to us. They got Denver's bad contracts, a first and second round pick from them. All we get is a 3rd PG who can't even stay on the court and a second round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.  Literally everything you said we could have done with Denver except we would have gotten WAY better return on cap space capital.

It galls me to say this but @KB21 was right about Schtink. This guy is a bumbling moron.

• Like 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Faried and Arthur are ALSO expiring contracts so that doesn't affect our capspace for next season. Faried's contract is a similar amount to Lin's. Faried could also be an option to make a move midseason and he's at least healthy.

I agree in principle but lets see what this turns in to.

Just now, Sothron said:

We could have done exactly that with Denver. Look at the what the Nets did literally as soon as they traded Lin to us. They got Denver's bad contracts, a first and second round pick from them. All we get is a 3rd PG who can't even stay on the court and a second round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.  Literally everything you said we could have done with Denver except we would have gotten WAY better return on cap space capital.

It galls me to say this but @KB21 was right about Schtink. This guy is a bumbling moron.

Again, these are moving pieces. I don't believe he's done.  This looks like a move before a move.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I think Faried on the roster would cause matchup problems for Collins.   I don't view Collins as a C.  So maybe Schlenk didn't want to have that tension on the roster. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

I think Faried on the roster would cause matchup problems for Collins.   I don't view Collins as a C.  So maybe Schlenk didn't want to have that tension on the roster. 

Faried is an expiring who has been riding the pine in Denver, there's no tension to be had. Heck just buy him out.

The idea is to get an asset now, 2 even 3 years from now, not a 2nd ROUNDER IN SEVEN YEARS.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Faried is an expiring who has been riding the pine in Denver, there's no tension to be had. Heck just buy him out.

The idea is to get an asset now, 2 even 3 years from now, not a 2nd ROUNDER IN SEVEN YEARS.

If Schlenk has a different deal in place, then I can't pass blame yet.  Dennis for Vucevic makes too much sense. 

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'd imagine Faried would've been moved/bought-out.

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Again, these are moving pieces. I don't believe he's done.  This looks like a move before a move.

He better not be done .....

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

C'mon, sothwrong.  I'm driving the anti-Slink wagon.  Don't give KBToys that credit(sic).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DS17Fanboy said:

no, its funny cuz its true. also did you know trae young is a habitual kiddy fiddler?

and that's out of line.  Okay let's take just a thing or two from your post. 

1) "Dennis is a good kid", he's just not in a position to mentor right now.  AHEM!!! Good kids don't jump people at Hookah Bars with their posse and he's in the perfect position to mentor. He's a 5 year NBA vet who plays the same position.  

2) "Dennis needs to leave the sinking ship."  Are you even paying attention to summer league?  Collins was a man among boys and Trae showed serious potential. Dorsey is playing better and Spellman is outplaying his 30th pick status.  Heurter will be solid...you can bank that.  They are developing a very good squad, have good assets coming in the future.  This isn't going to be fixed overnight but some very good personnel things are happening right now. Dennis not only shouldn't "leave" but he should get his ass in the gym and start learning to put team before self. It's what point guards do.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

If Schlenk has a different deal in place, then I can't pass blame yet.  Dennis for Vucevic makes too much sense. 

I did say i hope it's part of a larger move but right now......bleh.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

What nobody else has mentioned is that the trade for Lin may be a not only a pick of a player that he's familiar with but he may also be trying to get some Asian American Fans.   Even though Asian Americans in Atlanta only make up roughly 6% of the population by last census, you have to figure that that number is rising.  Schlenk knows how popular Lin has been with Asian Americans at every stop.  Even Brooklyn.   So he may be thinking that 1 year with Lin could produce Asian Americans to fill those seats that are lost from bad play. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, RWF said:

Why the need for 3 PGs on a tanking team? I fully expect Trae to finish the year as the starter and Dennis traded. Not soon, but before the deadline next year.

So you're saying that a reliable backup PG like Lin will be needed?  Personally, I'm liking the trade.  We have all of that cap space, might as well burn it up on expiring deals.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Mike and Mrs. Cunningham somewhere gettin' it on...

:married:

~lwwherestheajc

My bad, MC! C-Viv is the dude getting Vegas Summerhawks duty and filling in.

After a few late-night buffet trips, here's Viv's article posted a few hours ago.

~lw3

• Like 1