• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rainbows and unicorns thread - Your wildest imagination ceiling for all the young-uns

sturt

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

Spellman = Nikola Jokic

Not arguing at all... just asking to tap into this vision... help me see this one because it's not one that I would ever have imagined on my own.

Not arguing at all... just asking to tap into this vision... help me see this one because it's not one that I would ever have imagined on my own.

For starters, Spellman is already a very good passer for a big and has shown an ability to find an open guy when the defender rotates poorly. I don't necessarily think he'll ever become the focal point for an offense like Jokic has become, but I think it's something we should explore. He's had some very nice assists to Collins and Trae among other players.

He's a knockdown shooter, and he's also shown an ability to attack closeouts. Offensively it's important that he can put the ball on the floor because it effectively creates a 4 on 5 situation if a defender over commits to a shot contest.

His rebounding and defense I think will be close to what Jokic produces right now. Physically Spellman might even have an advantage, I think he might at least be more explosive.

Let me be clear, I don't think Spellman is nearly as skilled as Jokic. The vast majority of bigs simply aren't. But Spellman has shown me enough that I think he should be featured within the offense on high pick and rolls where he's given the opportunity to read a defense.

• Like 3

I still maintain the opinion that he will be a combination of 2 Hall of Fame level players named Steve Nash and Steph Curry. He’s not going to be as good as Iverson going to the hole, but light years better as a passer and shooter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sturt said:

I'll start with just one because I'm short of time...

Kaba = Capella?

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/new-look-kaba-helps-hawks-win-summer-league-finale/az5kQsebx5w1Vbj4zbHeXL/

I was thinking Kaba was more like Kevin Looney but if he pushes himself I could see him getting their with less athleticism but a better outside shot.

I posted this in another thread.

The Hawks lost 24 games last year by 10 or less points 30 by 12 or less. We were 6 possessions per game away from winning 50+...let that sink in. We aren't as bad as people suggest.  Dennis isn't even as bad as I've suggested.  He's good, he just isn't my style.

So best case scenario...we sign one more good big.  Trae/Lin = 3 better possessions per game than Delaney (I'm being generous here as Delaney was a black hole at times).  Collins = same or better production than Ersan did.  Heurter contributes. Spellman gives us something. Bembry comes back and gives us what we all known he's capable of. Everyone stays healthy and we hit our ceiling of 50 wins.

Probably scenario is 35+ wins as I do see us better than last year solely based on Dennis, Bembry, Prince, Collins are all one year older.

• Like 3

I'll save my opinion on Dennis until the smoke clears.

Trae Young(I agree a Nash/Curry combo)

Tyler Dorsey (I still say highest upside is Harden/Beal)

Deandre Bembry (I have to remember my oldschool stars but he is definitely one that hasn't been seen in a long time).

Kevin Huerter (I have to stick with Klay Thompson until I see more).

Taurean Prince (DeMarre Carroll will wish he was as good as Prince can become. Prince has the silent heart/sign of Jordan not saying he will become him but he will strive for it. I see his ceiling being a Paul George/Kawhi Leanord).

Omari Spellman ( I see a KAT/Draymond mix as his highest ceiling. A rougher more passionate, shorter KAT. He's so eager to learn and grow I don't think his ceiling will stop at Draymond.)

John Collins (Is like a Millsap/Amare Stat mix or hybrid. Has great fundamentals but also an extra flare about him). 

IS THIS RAINBOW AND UNICORNY ENOUGH???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

I posted this in another thread.

The Hawks lost 24 games last year by 10 or less points 30 by 12 or less. We were 6 possessions per game away from winning 50+...let that sink in. We aren't as bad as people suggest.  Dennis isn't even as bad as I've suggested.  He's good, he just isn't my style.

I don’t see it.  Playing too many young players.  We let go of vets like Bellinelli and Ersan.  It’s not the same.  We’re going to lose equivalently.  Our team is not good and has more potential but it won’t translate to winning more this year.

21 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I don’t see it.  Playing too many young players.  We let go of vets like Bellinelli and Ersan.  It’s not the same.  We’re going to lose equivalently.  Our team is not good and has more potential but it won’t translate to winning more this year.

if you go to 82games.com and look up Bellinelli, his defense made him a net negative.  Per 100 possessions the Hawks were offensively +1.8 points better per game with Marco off the floor and 4.9 points better defensively for a total of -6.7 points were per 100 possessions with Marco on the floor.

For comparison, the Hawks were 2.1 points per game offensively with Bazemore on the floor and .9 points better defensively for a total of 3 points per game better with Baze on the floor.  Bellinelli looks good but he has a negative floor impact.  Other players on this simple number...Collins -1.0 total, Illyasova +3.9, Schröder -1.2, Prince -3.3, Dedmon +.9.  This is a very good metric over the course of a season to see a player's total impact. Other notables in the league...Lebron +2.3, Jimmy Butler +14.1....yes, Butler makes everyone else better whereas Lebron's numbers mostly benefit Lebron and keep games close (FYI a proven formula in the playoffs). But you saw how Minnesota flailed with Butler out...this metric showed why...A typical stater is on the floor 75% of their teams minutes...it means the T'Wolves are 10 points better per game (75 possessions) with Butler on the floor than not.

This is why players who don't dominate the ball but instead help with ball movement, the right pass, set screen, fill passing lanes are key.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Trae Young -  Nash with the vision plus Stockton's toughness.

Tyler Dorsey - NYK John Starks, just played all out.

Deandre Bembry - Ron Harper, add his offensive game to Bembry's ability to handle the ball and his defensive awareness.

Kevin Huerter - Clyde Drexler with a 3 ball.

Taurean Prince - Scottie Pippen, add Pippens ability to run the offense,put the ball on the floor, run the floor,  rebound and defend to Prince's 3 ball.

Omari Spellman Kevin Garnett with some weight loss. A repertoire of offensive moves, ability to pass, rebound and defend but not the explosive athlete like KG.

John Collins Karl Malone/Nique Hybrid with a 3 ball, master of the PnR, developed a jump shot as his career progress. Add Malones post defensive ability to strip the ball as the shot is going up.  Add Nique ability to score from wherever and whenever with the Human Highlight Factory Film thingy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Young is going to have to learn how to finish at the basket in traffic.  Also, he's going to have to learn how to take contact on the shot without getting injured .  I think Like Nash, he could find himself living at the line.