• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

11 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

So you're going to put that all on Dennis? This team was unbearable last year; I could barely watch 10  games and I normally watch 82. Who was he going to pass to? If it's true that the team was 15-17 when he scored 20+ points than I can see why he thought he was doing the right thing. Their record was ass when he wasn't scoring. The coaching staff and GM should have control here not the 24 year old. If they wanted him to change and play differently and he didn't respond they should have benched him or traded him then. 

Dennis as a I mentioned is not a prefect player,  but I'm not going to crap on him for being ball dominate on last year's team. He played fine when he had better players and leaders around and Dennis did not destroy the leadership structure he desperately needed that was Schlenk and Bud.

I can't believe you guys have me on here defending Dennis. I've been wanting to trade him for 2.5 years when he had value. 

Everybody that leaves the Hawk's seems to be in a better situation. Horford, Korver,  Millsap, Bud the list goes on.  I guess a Hawks fans only recourse is to hate on them. I want to see the Hawks win not hate on players that helped us make the playoffs for a decade even though that's not good enough for Hawks fans.

This is largely a myth.  The only time Dennis has ever played good defense was when he was backing up Jeff Teague.  When he became a starter last year, his defense went out the door even on a team with Paul Millsap.  

It's time to stop making excuses for Dennis's lack of defense.  The team around him didn't cause him to play with very little effort on defense, and spare me the talk that he had to expend so much energy on offense to give much on defense.  That's nothing more than an excuse.  He expended his energy on offense because scoring 20 a game makes him look good regardless of whether he scored those points efficiently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Yes, I spent the entire last season plus acting like a troll posting dozens of times a day hating the rebuild and the entire idea of a rebuild. Oh wait. I only complained about drafting Acie Law 2.0 and the bad trades Stink has made.

Yeah, I apologize for putting you in the same boat.

While he belongs in a comeuppance cruise ship, let's say you belong in a comeuppance dingy.

Fair?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Damn I didn’t even know Dennis and Prince was getting into it with each other .

smh as much hawks news I read daily I somehow missed that 

Dennis got into it with almost everyone on the team at one point or another. 

See this article: https://pistonpowered.com/2018/05/29/dennis-Schröder-detroit-pistons/

Lastly, Dennis Schröder is a problem in the locker room. The stories about his attitude and personality are widely spread and well known.

One of the prime examples of how loathed Dwight Howard was in Atlanta was that he somehow managed to make Dennis Schröder a sympathetic figure in the locker room. At times, Jackson has been involved in locker room issues.

It is not on the same level as what you hear about Schröder.

1 hour ago, NineOhTheRino said:

I did not like Dennis' game.   Horrible shot selection.  Your PG has to learn how to play within the rhythm of the game and I witnessed too many times where Dennis (aka Lil Josh Smith) would kill flow/momentum by taking a dumb 3.   I also became concerned with his poor fashion sense  I feel jewelry should only worn by a women; Class and weeding rings are borderline acceptable for a man.

Also, why not play Melo?  Seems the plan is lottery or bust so why not give fans a little star power to go with all the losing?  

Let me  guess women folk belong in the kitchen and children should be seen and not heard lol

https://theathletic.com/439075/2018/07/20/leroux-what-the-carmelo-anthony-trade-means-for-the-hawks-the-thunder-and-the-76ers/

The Trade for Atlanta

For the Hawks, this deal centers on swapping Schröder for Anthony, who they will waive and pay his full salary. The mercurial 24-year old German point guard is talented but his flaws and remaining contract of three years and $46.5 million made it hard for the Hawks to find a trade partner. While not a terrible value at $15.5 million per season, teams are reluctant to take on that long of an obligation for a non-core player, particularly with so many franchises eying the possibility of cap space in 2019 or 2020. General manager Travis Schlenk accelerated the necessity of Schröder’s departure by drafting Trae Young fifth overall and acquiring Jeremy Lin earlier this week, though the Lin trade may have been done with the knowledge that a Schröder trade was imminent.

It will take time for Young to surpass Schröder as point guards typically take a while to develop but those growing pains can work in the organization’s favor in the form of better draft picks over the next few years as the Hawks build an asset base. Along those lines, sending away Schröder and Muscala for entirely expiring money clears $15.5 million off Atlanta’s books for both the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons. This move gives them about $54 million in space for next summer not counting first round picks and they might have three of those in 2019: their own, Dallas’ if not in the top five and Cleveland’s if 11-30. The Hawks probably will not be ready to add veteran free agents in 2019 but that extra space can become assets through taking on bad salary or acquiring undervalued talent. While Schröder’s two years and $31 million will look less daunting next summer than his three years and $46.5 million now, it appears more likely than not that it will be a negative value contract at that point.

On top of all that, the Hawks took a flier on 24-year old swingman Justin Anderson and acquired a lottery-protected 2022 first round pick from the Thunder that converts immediately to two second round selections if Oklahoma City misses the playoffs that season. That 2022 draft could also be the year that high schoolers are allowed to join the NBA again, making it a stronger class than normal and increasing the value of the selection. While Anderson only has one season left on his cheap rookie scale contract and the pick’s protection makes it a modest asset, both carry no real downside risk and the potential to become something useful in time.

While this complicated transaction is problematic for two of the teams involved, it looks very good for the Hawks because they untangled a long-term obligation at the cost of their remaining cap space while adding a potential first round pick and Justin Anderson as well.

Interesting to note.  In the 78 games Jeremy Lin played in 2015-16, the Hornets were 47-31.  They were 1-3 in the four games he did not play.  In the 36 games he played in Brooklyn in 2016-17, the Nets were 13-23.  In the games he did not play, they were 7-39.  

• Moderators

ESPN TRADE GRADE

Atlanta Hawks: B

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Having used much of their cap space last week to take on Jeremy Lin's salary, the Hawks used the remainder of it to complete this trade, which takes them almost right up to the cap. From Atlanta's standpoint, getting off Schröder's contract without having to take back another bad, long-term deal (say, swapping Schröder to the Phoenix Sunsfor Brandon Knight) should probably be considered a win.

Schröder just wasn't a fit on a rebuilding team. He'd said publicly over the offseason that he wanted to go to a contending team, and was blocking No. 5 overall pick Trae Young's path to playing time. So something had to give this summer, and dealing Schröder for expiring contracts means the Hawks have opened up $15.5 million in additional 2019 cap space, giving them nearly $50 million to work with next year.

On top of that, Atlanta adds a first-round pick during what ESPN's Jonathan Givony indicated last week teams are hearing could be the first year where high schoolers are eligible for the draft. That would potentially produce a so-called "double draft" in 2022 with both the one-and-done prospects from the 2021 recruiting class and 2022 high school seniors eligible.

Though the protection limits the upside on what can be no better than the 15th pick, the Hawks were wise to time getting it for 2022 -- particularly because they already could have extra picks coming next year from the Cleveland Cavaliers (top-10 protected) and Dallas Mavericks (top-five protected). Atlanta has to be prepared not to get a first-rounder in this deal if Oklahoma City rebuilds. Even then, however, I'd feel comfortable getting $15.5 million in cap space next summer for the extra salary this year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Interesting to note.  In the 78 games Jeremy Lin played in 2015-16, the Hornets were 47-31.  They were 1-3 in the four games he did not play.  In the 36 games he played in Brooklyn in 2016-17, the Nets were 13-23.  In the games he did not play, they were 7-39.  

Lin's not a bad player, but injured a little too much and got saddled with Lin-sanity in NYC.  I really like him as a mentor for Trae.  Hopefully Lin is ready to play come November and can take the starting duties for a while until Trae gets himself acclimated to the NBA. No need to start that kid and ruin his confidence so early. 

As far as the trade, I'm happy with it. Dennis had run out the string here and he needed to go. Getting what we did is great.  Not sure how much better we could have done given Dennis' perceived value and legal issues. 

Presti a;ways pushing. I hate dealing with that guy. He absolutely fleeced Orlando in their Serge trade. I think the George/Indy trade was pretty fair for both; especially since George said he was out of Indy and wanted to go to the Lakers, Oladipo and Sabonis are good pieces to go along with Turner, I think ours was fair as well. No one fleecing anyone and both sides doing about as well as they could given both players wanted out from their respective teams.

Zach Lowe: The two sides haggled over protections on that pick, sources say. OKC pushed for top-20 protected, but ATL got friendlier protections (lottery protected) in the end — likely by rerouting Muscala to a third team instead of OKC.

https://hoopshype.com/team/atlanta-hawks/

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Presti a;ways pushing. I hate dealing with that guy. He absolutely fleeced Orlando in their Serge trade. I think the George/Indy trade was pretty fair for both; especially since George said he was out of Indy and wanted to go to the Lakers, Oladipo and Sabonis are good pieces to go along with Turner, I think ours was fair as well. No one fleecing anyone and both sides doing about as well as they could given both players wanted out from their respective teams.

So Schlenk didn’t get completely spanked and got creative too. I’m not a fan of the protections, but like other posters have said the trade is still mutually beneficial. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I dislike the fact that the pick becomes second rounders after only one year more than the 1-14 protection.  While no protection is always better, that draft looks like it will be stacked so a pick in the late teens could be very good.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyRoc said:

So Schlenk didn’t get completely spanked and got creative too. I’m not a fan of the protections, but like other posters have said the trade is still mutually beneficial. 

I don't think he has gotten spanked in any trade. 1st off, I think the latest trades and moves of D8/12 prove he was vet minimum player to maybe 12 a year that Bud signed for 20 million a year. We were Dwight's market that year and he fleeced us to no end.  2nd I am not sold,  as some are, that  Doncic is future HOF player. In other words, we could still end up with the best player between the two and we got the pick. That is Travis spanking Cuban,

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I dislike the fact that the pick becomes second rounders after only one year more than the 1-14 protection.  While no protection is always better, that draft looks like it will be stacked so a pick in the late teens could be very good.

Pump the brakes on that.  We will be looking at guys who are freshmen and sophomores right now in that draft.  

Just now, KB21 said:

Pump the brakes on that.  We will be looking at guys who are freshmen and sophomores IN HIGH SCHOOL right now in that draft.  

Fixed it.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, aali34 said:

In Schlenk we trust

Dat is #BadAss

5 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

I've had a love hate relationship over the years,  but he actuality won me over at the beginning of last season. I thought he played well and was setting teammates up better than in the past. I stopped watching about 10 games in because it was some of the worst basketball I've been subjected to in a while. A bunch of broke boys taking primarily 3 pointers was not something I could stomach, so I'm not sure what went off the rails in Dennis season to make, so many on the Squawk turn on him. 

Firstly, Dennis wasn't a prefect player,  but I believe he's the type of player that can make the Hawks look silly in this trade. He still has tremendous upside, and this may be the kick in the arse he needs. I think Dennis plays better with a chip on his shoulder and he now has a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man sized chip. I can't wait to see the first time he faces Trae Young;  I'm going too order my popcorn now. 

Secondly,  Dennis has dog in him, and has no back down in his DNA.  When the lights shined brightest for key matchup or playoffs, Dennis game elevated. That's why he put Teague on the bench in crunch time even as a backup. When Al Horford and Paul Millsap where wetting the bed against Cleveland, Schröder was putting in work. When John Wail was going ham he was cooking bacon in the corner. I think this is what I'll miss most about Dennis and is his best trait. Best of luck in OKC Dennis and thanks for everything. 

This. Just when he's taking the lead he has a shitty ass team around him.

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Buyoutschmyout... whats the rush?

Why not take our time, and just see if there are any trade offers instead? If HOU likes him so much, maybe we should see how much they like him.

No?

To take back Ryan Anderson, just No.

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

Ladies and gentlemen it has finally happened.  He did NOT use the T word!  He's coming around! 

Awesome catch :good:

32 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

At least Schlenk didn't give in there. I don't like the 1 year 1st conversion to 2 2nds the next year.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Pump the brakes on that.  We will be looking at guys who are freshmen and sophomores right now in that draft.  

You are getting the best players from two years combined.  I am not talking about specific prospects, just the fact that the age limit hits and you get two draft classes combined into the same year.  That will inevitably make it deeper than usual.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

To take back Ryan Anderson, just No.

And what did Ryan Anderson ever do to you??? *wink*

Why of course, I'd want something more than Ryan Anderson. That's the point. Hold Melo hostage until they offer some asset in the deal.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

And what did Ryan Anderson ever do to you??? *wink*

Why of course, I'd want something more than Ryan Anderson. That's the point. Hold Melo hostage until they offer some asset in the deal.

We just cleared cap by trading Dennis, why muck it back up by getting Anderson and his $21 mil next offseason.

• Like 1