• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

There has been a change in Atlanta's win projections this coming season

Peoriabird

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We only have 3 rookies on the team and 2 of them may not get major minutes

I guess you haven't seen what our backup big situation looks like. Spellman is going to get all the minutes he can handle.

• Premium Member
Just now, High5 said:

I guess you haven't seen what our backup big situation looks like. Spellman is going to get all the minutes he can handle.

We has 2 roster spots open soon to be 3.  This isn't the final roster

Aah!  How fickle we all are!

I thought, at first, Hawks would win half their games.  Gasp!  That's 41, far more than the most optimistic of you, who think that 30 is the ceiling.

Someone questions the ability of this Hawk team to play defense.  Nevertheless, our new, rookie head coach is said to be more of a defensive teacher.  But, they say, he's not really a coach.  He's just a placeholder until, a couple of years from now, they hire a real coach.

Then, there is our GM.  Seems to some that he is determined to have this team lose as many games as possible.  This will reflect very bad on him if he really tries to put that plan in motion.  Why?  Because he is responsible for the players currently on the roster and the one or two we will still be adding.

No one likes the idea of losing.  We attempt to compare this year's Hawks with last season's.  Don't.  They were trying to tank.  Enough of that.  We have three new, first round draft picks.  If they are as good as we hope they are, Hawks will win some games because of them.  We have other players from last season that will aid and assist.  Lyn, if healthy, will be a + asset.  Now, to me, if these three green rookies don't mature and help the Hawks win in the second half of the season, especially, then the Hawk's failed in the draft.

We're not great.  Neither are all the other teams in the NBA.  Some few are and they will be going to the playoffs and competing for the championship.  Then, there is all the rest of us.  Hawks will win their part of the games we play with all these other teams.  Count on it!

:approved:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Aah!  How fickle we all are!

I thought, at first, Hawks would win half their games.  Gasp!  That's 41, far more than the most optimistic of you, who think that 30 is the ceiling.

Someone questions the ability of this Hawk team to play defense.  Nevertheless, our new, rookie head coach is said to be more of a defensive teacher.  But, they say, he's not really a coach.  He's just a placeholder until, a couple of years from now, they hire a real coach.

Then, there is our GM.  Seems to some that he is determined to have this team lose as many games as possible.  This will reflect very bad on him if he really tries to put that plan in motion.  Why?  Because he is responsible for the players currently on the roster and the one or two we will still be adding.

No one likes the idea of losing.  We attempt to compare this year's Hawks with last season's.  Don't.  They were trying to tank.  Enough of that.  We have three new, first round draft picks.  If they are as good as we hope they are, Hawks will win some games because of them.  We have other players from last season that will aid and assist.  Lyn, if healthy, will be a + asset.  Now, to me, if these three green rookies don't mature and help the Hawks win in the second half of the season, especially, then the Hawk's failed in the draft.

We're not great.  Neither are all the other teams in the NBA.  Some few are and they will be going to the playoffs and competing for the championship.  Then, there is all the rest of us.  Hawks will win their part of the games we play with all these other teams.  Count on it!

:approved:

I don't have any expectations that rookies will be good, at all.  Considering that Atlanta will have three of them playing major minutes, that doesn't bode well for their final win projections to me.  The more rookies you have playing major minutes, the more games you are going to lose.  

Next year will not be much better, because they will have 2-3 more rookies that will be getting major minutes.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

I know, but I highly doubt Schlenk signs 2 bigs to play over Spellman.

How many minutes do you think Spellman will play per game and do you think he will play regardless of how he performs? Most of our rookie in the past have spent some time in the g-league affiliate. What makes Spellman the exception?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't have any expectations that rookies will be good, at all.  Considering that Atlanta will have three of them playing major minutes,

Prediction time...How many minutes per game do you think Young, Huerter and Spellman play next year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Prediction time...How many minutes per game do you think Young, Huerter and Spellman play next year?

Young at least 30-32 mpg.  Huerter and Spellman will be in the 18-22 mpg range, if not more.  By the end of the season, all three will be getting 30 plus minutes per game, and it won't be because they have earned it.

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

Young at least 30-32 mpg.  Huerter and Spellman will be in the 18-22 mpg range, if not more.  By the end of the season, all three will be getting 30 plus minutes per game, and it won't be because they have earned it.

of the 48 minutes at shootng guard, how will the minutes shake out between Baze, Bembry, Dorsey and Huerter?

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How many minutes do you think Spellman will play per game and do you think he will play regardless of how he performs? Most of our rookie in the past have spent some time in the g-league affiliate. What makes Spellman the exception?

Our coaching staff is different. The focus on player development could mean extended minutes for younger players regardless of performance.

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He'll play at least 15 mpg unless he's really bad. 20 is probably more likely. In the past we were a playoff team. Now our other options are Plumlee and whatever late additions Schlenk makes to the roster. 

11 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Our coaching staff is different. The focus on player development could mean extended minutes for younger players regardless of performance.

Time to bring the treadmill back out:

Team bottoms out to get high draft pick.  High draft pick plays more minutes than production warrants.  Team loses because of this.  Team drafts high in draft again.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, High5 said:

He'll play at least 15 mpg unless he's really bad. 20 is probably more likely. In the past we were a playoff team. Now our other options are Plumlee and whatever late additions Schlenk makes to the roster. 

Scratch that... Responding to the wrong post

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Time to bring the treadmill back out:

Team bottoms out to get high draft pick.  High draft pick plays more minutes than production warrants.  Team loses because of this.  Team drafts high in draft again.

Not unrealistic by any means. The things that are working in our favor is that we have young, “developmental” guys who are either already net positives (Collins) or at least in the cusp of being positive (Prince). I’m of the camp that now that our roster is bad in the short term trying to win games won’t hurt our chances to get a good pick. I would hope that we don’t start any rookies this year unless they are the better option. I’m hoping the coaching staff feels the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why not just say this gives me hope or I would like for this to happen rather than finding ways to discredit a positive report? The only conclusion I can come up with is the one's that discredits such a report don't want the team to win.

That is a pathetic assumption on your part. Just maybe we don't get hyped up like a bunch of school girls for every stat or statistical model that comes along. We won 24 games last season and have traded away our starting point guard and 1st big off the bench for most of the season.

I predicted 25 to 30 wins with Dennis. I will go 20 on the bad end to 30 on the high end without him. Now should I change that just because of one article? I don't think so. I am glad we are in the national media again. For me this articles only importance is it has our name in the media,

This is a very good thing for next years free agency. Positive press is always a good thing. Try and keep your "this report is accurate because you say so and everyone else is wrong judgements to yourself."

• Like 2

How about that!  Hawks needed another big.  They sign another big.  They need a veteran.  They signed a very good veteran.

Now, being raised on a farm, I know how to be patient.  You plant seed in the early spring.  You nurture the young seedlings and, come fall, if everything goes well, you reap your harvest.

Instead of a roster full of high priced veteran players, Atlanta has a crop of young sprouts that we hope will, by season's end, provide us with a bountiful crops of wins!!

Hawks will have more wins this season than last.  Only if we stay relatively healthy. 

How fast will our youngsters grow?  How much more can our returning Hawks grow?  They still have room to mature a bit, you know.  Think, how much better they are now than the start of last season.  We hope all our youngsters grow like that this season.

In fact, our rookies will probably grow some between now and the first tip off of regular season.  They have so much to learn and the quicker they start, the better.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:biggrin:

• Like 3

I think Young plays 25-30mpg untim Lin is back on shape, then goes down and again up at the end of season if Lin is not injured earlier

Huerter 20-22 mpg,  perhaps at the beginning only 18

Spellman 18-22 mpg.

Even with that we stay competitive, 30 wins is possible

• Like 1