• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks sign C Alex Len

GrimeyKidd

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Thinking Jent is like our Rainmaker. Threes that is.

That would be nice if Jent was actually the Hawks shooting coach, but that was Ben Sullivan, who is now with Bud in Milwaukee.

• Premium Member
Now just bring back Coach Kruger and we're set!

Lin-Lon-Len

~lw3

[emoji23] [emoji38]

Make him an assistant just due to familiarity with Trae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That would be nice if Jent was actually the Hawks shooting coach, but that was Ben Sullivan, who is now with Bud in Milwaukee.

Jent was brought in to improve the long range game. Everyone on the planet knows that. 

• Like 1

People say Quinn was not a shooting coach yet DMC said he was the shooting coach along with Korver and was the reason for his improvement though another one was on the payroll. Same case here with Jent. Everyone in the league knows it. 

Lin2Len ❤️ 

? He puts up boards in fantasy. Everyone had him for a minute in one of their leagues as a free agent. You know you did. @lethalweapon3 @AHF @Buzzard @Diesel @capstone21 @Sothron And any other fantasy stud I left out. You know you f’d and got you some Len sometimes. Go get checked out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

People say Quinn was not a shooting coach yet DMC said he was the shooting coach along with Korver and was the reason for his improvement though another one was on the payroll. Same case here with Jent. Everyone in the league knows it. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2016/10/10/16077030/nba-shooting-coaches-kent-bazemore-kawhi-leonard-8660e9939680

The Apprentice

In 2014, Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer, who had previously been an assistant with the Spurs, hired Ben Sullivan, who was then just a 30-year-old assistant video coordinator with San Antonio. "I learned from Chip Engelland, that’s who mentored and taught me," Sullivan tells me. "I owe him everything for what he’s done for me."

Some players owe Sullivan, too. Kent Bazemore had tears in his eyes at his press conference after signing a four-year, $70 million deal to return to the Hawks. He wondered aloud, "Why walk away from something so perfect?" A lot of what made Atlanta perfect had to do with Sullivan. Bazemore calls his shooting coach "a blessing in his life" and "a great friend" off the court. "His wife and my financée are really good friends, so we spend a lot of time together," Bazemore tells me. "It’s good we can have those kind of relationships. When we step on the floor it’s strictly business, all about making each other better." Entering their third season together, they’ve already made each other a lot better. The revisions Sullivan made to Bazemore’s shot are similar to what Engelland did with Leonard.

During his time with the Warriors and Lakers, Bazemore brought the ball behind his head before launching it like a catapult at the rim. "I used to shoot way behind my head. It was like the weirdest hitch ever, but that came from growing up, and no one taught you how to shoot if it went in," Bazemore says. Now, with the Hawks, Bazemore keeps the ball in front of his face with a cleaner motion, much like Leonard. "I would say you want elbow under your wrist as a basic thing. I’ve seen guys without it, but it’s core principle," says Sullivan. "If your elbow is outside your wrist, it’s flared out like a chicken wing, that’s gonna be a little bit harder to shoot that way."

Getty Images Getty Images

Bazemore’s off-hand also hovered over the top of ball, but a basketball shouldn’t be cradled like a baby. Bazemore says his off-hand "was basically a second defender." If it didn’t come off at the right time, it’d put a quirky spin on the ball, which led to misses. "It was frustrating because shots would feel good but they just wouldn’t go in," he says.

"I came to Atlanta, and Ben was like, ‘We’re gonna change your jump shot.’ That’s like the first thing he said the first day I walked in the gym," Bazemore recalls. "Ben is a straightforward guy, so we sat down and watched a few clips, and he’s like, ‘Dude, I don’t know how you make shots with the way your shot looks.’"

Bazemore shot 32.7 percent on 3s prior to joining the Hawks, and he’s been shooting 35.9 percent since, on a higher volume, with a greater degree of difficulty. On catch-and-shoot 3s, he’s even better, at 38.2 percent, per SportVU. Bazemore says the next stage is improving his 3s off the dribble.

"Ben told me having a more compact jumper gives you a higher chance of making a shot," Bazemore says. "You’ll never be 100 percent, but you want to give yourself the best chance of making a shot every time you’ll shoot."

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bazemore is a very good talking point and example but DMC is another one. And Jent is going to be a difference maker himself with Prince as a short term example so far. Lets see after the season, right or wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

https://www.nba.com/hawks/features/bazemore-sefolosha-thriving-help-hawks-assistant#

All of the assistant coaches put a lot of time and effort in with the shooting, Ben Sullivan in particular," Budenholzer said. "It's his area that he's been given. Our players know that there's a plan and a lot of thought behind anything that he's asking them to do to improve their shot."

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2018/05/18/milwaukee-bucks-can-mike-budenholzers-assistants-offer/5/

In particular, Sullivan has been credited with much of the success the Hawks have had in turning non-marquee wings into consistent and valuable contributors. DeMarre Carroll, Kent Bazemore, Thabo Sefolosha and Tim Hardaway Jr. all stand out as wings who’ve benefited from Sullivan’s guidance.

Ben Sullivan is the shot doctor.

Just now, KB21 said:

Who took DMC under his wing, not including Korver? It wasn't Sullivan.

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

It was Quinn. Bud was even pissed at Quinn for the baseline drives by DMC. The whole game stuff.

It was Bud that wanted him to develop the corner three point shot first and then become more involved in the pick and roll

Last season, the coaching staff wanted Carroll to focus on getting to the corner for spot-up 3-pointers and used Bruce Bowen, the former Spurs forward, as a model. This season, Budenholzer set out with the goal of adding slashing and pick-and-rolls to Carroll’s game, citing the effectiveness of San Antonio’s Kawhi Leonard.

However, Quinn Snyder was the lead assistant on the staff, not a player development coach.  While all the coaches had a role in player development, the behind the bench coaches had a bigger role.  That's all they did.  Ben Sullivan, Charles Lee, Patrick Saint Andrews...etc.