• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What's The Consensus?

sillent

Just now, KB21 said:

Correction.  Tanking is the deliberate attempt to lose and not even try to win.  What he described is what every good athlete does.  You don't make it the first time, you don't quit.  You keep working till you cross that line.  That's not tanking.  That's maintaining your competitiveness.

Laboring through a 4K does not prepare you for a marathon.  ANY athlete will tell you that if their ultimate goal is competing in a marathon then they need to go back, change their training/lifestyle in order to achieve that.  Or they can be shortsighted and think continuously running a 4K in 6 hours will pay off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Laboring through a 4K does not prepare you for a marathon.  ANY athlete will tell you that if their ultimate goal is competing in a marathon then they need to go back, change their training/lifestyle in order to achieve that.  Or they can be shortsighted and think continuously running a 4K in 6 hours will pay off.

Changing one's training and life style isn't a deliberate attempt to lose, and it does not equate in anyway with tanking, which is the deliberate attempt to lose.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Changing one's training and life style isn't a deliberate attempt to lose, and it does not equate in anyway with tanking, which is the deliberate attempt to lose.  

Only in your own shortsighted mind is tanking done for the express purpose of continually losing.  It is not, it is losing in the interim in order to compete in the future.  I will repeat, it is losing as a MEANS of winning in the END, not losing as the sole goal.

One who is laboring through 4Ks will deliberately remove themselves from any current races in order to addesss their training and lifestyle. Once having completed THAT will they return to running to hopefully greater results.  That is tanking by all possible definitions.  Treadmilling OTOH is maintaining the same training, the same lifestyle, and expecting different results.  That also happens to be another definition for insanity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

It is not a reason to quit.  You obviously have a different definition for quitting than I do.  

Quitting is when the injured player stops pushing his body as hard as he can during his rehab because of the pain.  Getting injured is not quitting.

Nope, that’s not quiting.  Quitting is removing yourself from the current and future competitions until you are healthy.  That is literally you saying that I can’t and I won’t continue to play because I cannot perform and will likely further injure myself.

The rehab IS tanking, that is where you are rebuilding your body to be as good if not better than what it was even if it will be painful...while not playing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Only in your own shortsighted mind is tanking done for the express purpose of continually losing.  It is not, it is losing in the interim in order to compete in the future.  I will repeat, it is losing as a MEANS of winning in the END, not losing as the sole goal.

One who is laboring through 4Ks will deliberately remove themselves from any current races in order to addesss their training and lifestyle. Once having completed THAT will they return to running to hopefully greater results.  That is tanking by all possible definitions.  Treadmilling OTOH is maintaining the same training, the same lifestyle, and expecting different results.  That also happens to be another definition for insanity.

8 hours ago, High5 said:

KB has been served a million different gourmet meals at this point and he still insists his Lunchables are the best. Just let him eat his ketchup crackers. 

This is a common behavior among physicians. Why it’s so hard to find a good one, you usually have to fire several before finding the right one without a God Complex.

16 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Nope, that’s not quiting.  Quitting is removing yourself from the current and future competitions until you are healthy.  That is literally you saying that I can’t and I won’t continue to play because I cannot perform and will likely further injure myself.

The rehab IS tanking, that is where you are rebuilding your body to be as good if not better than what it was even if it will be painful...while not playing.

Tanking is not about rebuilding though.  Tanking is about the deliberate attempt to lose games, period.  When your focus is on losing, your focus is not on building.  You can only build when you have winning as the goal in mind.

16 hours ago, High5 said:

KB has been served a million different gourmet meals at this point and he still insists his Lunchables are the best. Just let him eat his ketchup crackers. 

I'm not buying anything that dresses up the action of tanking and tries to turn it into something it isn't.  Tanking is the deliberate attempt to lose games, period.  

18 hours ago, MaceCase said:

If you meet a challenge uncompleted what is it you do again?

You literally just described tanking...

A tank is give up, fall off and appear back possibly later down the road after forgotten. I described getting rid of toxins(weak links) or getting healthy, strengthening up (adding valuable pieces) and coming back harder. Champions on down do this but the great teams do it well. Deliberate quitting on games devalues players skillsets, stats, mindset and overall morality. WE ARE CREATURES OF HABIT. WHATEVER WE PRACTICE IS WHAT WE BECOME.

Thankfully for us although our players are young they are winners and that includes Prince, Collins, Young, Spellman, Dorsey all have a winning mentality or have actually won something. Bembry and Huerter should fall right into suit as well. Dedmon, Carter, Lin and even Baze know how to win as well and Len in a different environment should be able to hop on board. So I guess no matter what our fans or so called fans/media want to say and believe the product on the floor shows competitors. I didn't even mention Anderson and company but you can add him/them to the bunch. 

18 hours ago, KB21 said:

No, he didn't describe tanking.  

Somebody actually knows the english language thank you!!

17 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Yes he did.  If you can’t get the job done with what you have you go back, build, and acquire the necessary skills and tools to complete it.

that is tanking.

treadmilling is thinking you can hammer in that nail with only the screwdriver you have on hand and some mock.  An inefficienciet and time consuming task that will eventually end up with the job undone.

Description every team in the league has each year.

17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Correction.  Tanking is the deliberate attempt to lose and not even try to win.  What he described is what every good athlete does.  You don't make it the first time, you don't quit.  You keep working till you cross that line.  That's not tanking.  That's maintaining your competitiveness.

If you need a clearer understanding it's in bold and I agree with the rest of this statement as well.

17 hours ago, KB21 said:

It is not a reason to quit.  You obviously have a different definition for quitting than I do.  

Quitting is when the injured player stops pushing his body as hard as he can during his rehab because of the pain.  Getting injured is not quitting.

16 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Tanking is a strategy that some teams deploy in order to either get better faster, save alot of money, get rid of unwanted style/player(s)/coach/culture. Teams tank for many different reasons but most of the time the tanking backfires for a team saying is tanking to win because of the losing culture built. Kings, Suns, Mavs, Magics, Bulls and until recently the 76ers have been in the cellar for awhile now going about it in that matter.

They've gone thru numerous young players and draft picks and are still trying to find their way. The Celtics did it right fighting as hard as they could until they were good enough to compete. What the Celtics and Pacers and company have done were not tanks but rebuilds. There's a difference and it makes a big difference in overall results.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sillent said:

A tank is give up, fall off and appear back possibly later down the road after forgotten. I described getting rid of toxins(weak links) or getting healthy, strengthening up (adding valuable pieces) and coming back harder. Champions on down do this but the great teams do it well. Deliberate quitting on games devalues players skillsets, stats, mindset and overall morality. WE ARE CREATURES OF HABIT. WHATEVER WE PRACTICE IS WHAT WE BECOME.

Thankfully for us although our players are young they are winners and that includes Prince, Collins, Young, Spellman, Dorsey all have a winning mentality or have actually won something. Bembry and Huerter should fall right into suit as well. Dedmon, Carter, Lin and even Baze know how to win as well and Len in a different environment should be able to hop on board. So I guess no matter what our fans or so called fans/media want to say and believe the product on the floor shows competitors. I didn't even mention Anderson and company but you can add him/them to the bunch. 

If you need a clearer understanding it's in bold and I agree with the rest of this statement as well.

Tanking is a strategy that some teams deploy in order to either get better faster, save alot of money, get rid of unwanted style/player(s)/coach/culture. Teams tank for many different reasons but most of the time the tanking backfires for a team saying is tanking to win because of the losing culture built. Kings, Suns, Mavs, Magics, Bulls and until recently the 76ers have been in the cellar for awhile now going about it in that matter.

They've gone thru numerous young players and draft picks and are still trying to find their way. The Celtics did it right fighting as hard as they could until they were good enough to compete. What the Celtics and Pacers and company have done were not tanks but rebuilds. There's a difference and it makes a big difference in overall results.   

100% correct.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeffery123 said:

This article is obviously slanted one way.  We get it, the guy wanted us to choose Doncic.  Let the guys play ball.  Judge the trade mid-way through the season.  None of us has seen Doncic play against the competition here.  I guess for some it is fun to speculate.

Personally, I agree with all the move the Colonel has made.  At least he has a vision and is building towards it.  I felt we were just floundering under Bud.  He gave away and lost players and we got little to nothing in return.  I am excited about the new start for the Hawks.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Tanking is not about rebuilding though. 

1 hour ago, sillent said:

A tank is give up, fall off and appear back possibly later down the road after forgotten. I described getting rid of toxins(weak links) or getting healthy, strengthening up (adding valuable pieces) and coming back harder.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the aristocrats.

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, sillent said:

Boston 100% did what we did last year when they gave away their vets, tanked it up for a year and then started rebuilding.

GS tanked, Cubs tanked, Cavs tanked, Astros tanked, etc. All these teams deliberately lost for some period of time to improve their draft position.

Like every other team building strategy, some GMs do a better job of it than others.  Organizational incompetence dooms any and every strategy while excellence gives you much better odds.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

You have to understand that to AHF, every team that loses is tanking, because that's the only way you can consider any of those teams tanking teams.

They got rid of vet talent, benched players, faked/exaggerated injuries and/or otherwise took action to ensure they would lose more games.  Every one of them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

They got rid of vet talent, benched players, faked/exaggerated injuries and/or otherwise took action to ensure they would lose more games.  Every one of them.

Yeah but ... other than all that ... they didn't tank.  Amirite?

:dry:

• Like 4