• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Prince getting significant minutes at 4?

sturt

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not significant. 

Prince is our only true SF with size:  6'-8".

He may see spot minutes at the 4 in our small ball lineups though.

So, the 30th pick in the draft is going to be Collins' primary backup? Maybe so. I don't see that myself, and especially so early in the season.

Or as P-bird suggests, Dedmon is? I really don't see that one.

Welcome to your opinion, of course, but we have an overload of Bazemore-sized players. Some of them are going to get on the court at the 3 with regularity, pushing Prince to 4.

You just automatically have a better 5-man on the court with Prince at 4 than you have with Dedmon on the court.

• Premium Member

A 19 year Collins was Illyasova's backup.  I see no reason (other than his conditioning) why a 21 year old Spellman can't back up Collins if the plan is to develop the young players.

Like I said, Prince will see minutes at the 4, I just don't think significant minutes.

Additionally, I think Huerter will spend time in GL.

I'm still ambivalent on Lin's ability to stay on the floor meaning Dorsey and Bembry will see time at PG

• Like 4

• Premium Member

So should we take it that you see the 30th pick of the draft getting less GL minutes than the 19th pick?

Huerter will get something closer to Collins' 2017-18 minutes... eventually.

Spellman might get Collins' 2017-18 minutes next season.

And, btw.... it seems Hamilton is just as if not more likely to be your new 3rd PG.

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, sturt said:

So should we take it that you see the 30th pick of the draft getting less GL minutes than the 19th pick?

Huerter will get something closer to Collins' 2017-18 minutes... eventually.

Spellman might get Collins' 2017-18 minutes next season.

And, btw.... it seems Hamilton is just as if not more likely to be your new 3rd PG.

Draft lottery slot has ZERO to do with GL minutes.

It's more a function of lack of playing time on the NBA team because of players ahead in the rotation. There are a plethora of wings on the team. Not so much in the front court.

Hamilton may be slotted as 3rd PG, but how many quality minutes does that get him? I suspect Dorsey will see more minutes at PG than Hamilton. Schlenk has to determine of Dorsey is worth keeping and resigning in the offseason.

Huerter missed the entire SL, will he be limited in camp? Or ready to go full steam ahead? This has some determination on how he starts the season.

• Premium Member

1. Granted, the talent of one year's draft may be more stout than the previous year's. That's true. So comparison of draft slots can be deceiving.

2. Granted, too, the very fact that the GM chose to construct the roster in the way he did... in this case, signing two backcourt players for #14 and #15... has implications to playing time and how the rotation stacks up.

But that's MY point, of course.

I think Schlenk has telegraphed to us to expect Collins' primary back-up will be Prince.

And I say that because it is exceptionally rare that a #30 pick in any draft gets significant minutes until he's proven over time in real games to be worthy to get those.

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. Granted, the talent of one year's draft may be more stout than the previous year's. That's true. So comparison of draft slots can be deceiving.

2. Granted, too, the very fact that the GM chose to construct the roster in the way he did... in this case, signing two backcourt players for #14 and #15... has implications to playing time and how the rotation stacks up.

I think Schlenk has telegraphed to us to expect Collins' primary back-up will be Prince.

And I say that because it is exceptionally rare that a #30 pick in any draft gets significant minutes until he's proven over time in real games to be worthy to get those.

A #30 pick on a team that wants to lose games will get plenty of playing time.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Disagree.

I don't like preconceptions based on draft slot after the draft as it relates to playing time -  if you can play, play.

John Collins was expected to be a lottery pick, he fell to #19. That shouldn't be held against him and it wasn't. 

Besides, #30 picks usually end up on teams in the playoffs that have vets, so more often than not they aren't on rebuulding teams like Spellman is. He'll play and back up JC.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Welcome to that opinion, but I think you're drinking some summer league kool-aid.

Schlenk didn't make those last two roster decisions based on his confidence that Spellman can walk-in and be a rotation player from day one, imo. And #30 doesn't mean everything, but it does mean something.

Welcome to that opinion, but I think you're drinking some summer league kool-aid.

Schlenk didn't make those last two roster decisions based on his confidence that Spellman can walk-in and be a rotation player from day one, imo. And #30 doesn't mean everything, but it does mean something.

But how many minutes do you expect Carter and Hamilton to play? I think if anything they are there to step in and play if Bazemore has to be moved because we are winning too much. The same way I'd expect Dedmon to be traded if we are playing above expectations. Otherwise, besides injuries I don't see them playing a significant role. Dedmon and Len will play the majority of the minutes at center. Collins should be getting 30 minutes a night at power forward.

Perhaps Prince will get maybe 10 minutes at the four since we have Huerter, Bazemore, Bembry, Dorsey and Lin at times who will play minutes next to a PG, but I'd still rather see Spellman play the four and see what he can do. So long as his conditioning is maintained, he'll have a long career, he can do a lot of positive things on the court and you have to love his attitude.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Just like you're welcome to your opinion.

No kool-aid, just common sense based on current roster make up.

You're drinking the Koolaid if you think 3rd string PG Hamilton has any bearing on Spellman playing or not - his conditioning will determine how much he plays. Hamilton  is a Practice body and emergency PG.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A 19 year Collins was Illyasova's backup.  I see no reason (other than his conditioning) why a 21 year old Spellman can't back up Collins if the plan is to develop the young players.

Like I said, Prince will see minutes at the 4, I just don't think significant minutes.

I'm still ambivalent on Lin's ability to stay on the floor meaning Dorsey and Bembry will see time at PG

Dorsey at PG? Can you say 0 assists....lol. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, terrell said:

Dorsey at PG? Can you say 0 assists....lol. 

In his 17 mpg last year he average 1.4 assists, I think that's greater than 0.

He also averaged 4 assists in SL....greater than 0.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

But how many minutes do you expect Carter and Hamilton to play? I think if anything they are there to step in and play if Bazemore has to be moved because we are winning too much. The same way I'd expect Dedmon to be traded if we are playing above expectations. Otherwise, besides injuries I don't see them playing a significant role. Dedmon and Len will play the majority of the minutes at center. Collins should be getting 30 minutes a night at power forward.

Perhaps Prince will get maybe 10 minutes at the four since we have Huerter, Bazemore, Bembry, Dorsey and Lin at times who will play minutes next to a PG, but I'd still rather see Spellman play the four and see what he can do. So long as his conditioning is maintained, he'll have a long career, he can do a lot of positive things on the court and you have to love his attitude.

Maybe if Spellman was this guy who everyone thought was top 15 or top 20, but who slid down to #30, I could be persuaded that he's the primary back-up.

He's not.

And the only reason I think anyone is giving that option any real support is that he turned in a nice Summer League. I just don't drink Summer League kool-aid for the #5 selection... and hell if I'll do so for the #30 selection.

Add that Schlenk had the #14 and #15 slots, and chose to sign backcourt players with both, leaving the 15-man with only 5 viable front court players tells me there's a 6th player among those other 11 who is going to be getting some minutes at the 4.

That's Prince.

It's not even like that should bother anyone, either... he's a Paul George type physique and has spent some lesser time at the 4, and for all we know, the system is going to resemble that of a team famous for playing a 6-8 guy at the 5.

Spellman? Maybe. Eventually. But not at the start of the season, imo, unless we care even less about winning this season than last.

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

and if I'm the Hawks coaching staff, I have already hired a nun nutritionist to smack Spellman's hand with a ruler ever time he does any of the following

Reaches for seconds,

Picks up the phone to order pizza,

asks for more rolls,

reaches for the pause button on the treadmill

tries to open a refrigerator

waves for a waitress

starts up his XBox

reaches for the remote

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sturt said:

#30 means he dropped from the teens because of concerns with his conditioning.

He's always had weight issues and has fluctuated  between 245 and 300lbs since his senior year of high school....If you think he's chubby now....look at his weight fluctuation throughout school in his highlight tape. 

• Like 1