• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WILL THIS HAWK TEAM PLAY SOME DEFENSE? YES OR NO....

Gray Mule

:aikido:

We all believe that this season's Hawk team has been built to score.  They are made up of players who have been known to score a few points.  Now, the question arises, will they be able to play any serious defense?  Trae Young wasn't a very good defensive PG in school.  Some of this could be credited to the team not wanting him to foul out, but stay on the floor for major minutes.

With all our offensive minded players who are noted for their ability to score, Atlanta has a rookie head coach who is noted for his defensive mind set.  Ditto his assistant coaches.  Some parts of defense can be learned, or so we're told.  Basketball IQ has been mentioned and it's thought that this years team are not a bunch of dumb bunnies.  They might be able to learn.  Knowing Lloyd Pierce's reputation, we expect him to try.  Building an entirely new team will take a lot of time.  Bud is gone.  We have had a huge turnover in both the coaching and players.  Our Hawk team will be just as new as their newly revamped home court.

But, back to the main question:  How much and how good will our new Hawk team's defense be?  It will make a difference.  Perhaps a huge difference.  As I have watched over the years, one thing I have noticed.  Rookies, for the most part, have some trouble learning how to play NBA defense without fouling.  And, as everyone knows, I hate seeing my team miss these. However, when we're causing them, that can make the difference between a win and a loss.

What do you expect?  Remember, almost every team in the playoffs are also very good defensive teams.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Some? Yes.

The will to defend will certainly be there, especially once the rotations get set and players get time to gel.

The PGs will be the tail wagging the defensive dog. Or vice versa, I dunno.

~lw3

• Like 2

Here’s hoping Gramps! Defense and rebound is about heart and effort. Barkley and Rodman weren’t the physical prototypes for rebounding yet they were two of the best in history. 

I think it will be a process like the rest of the growth of our team, it won’t come overnight, but good daily defensive habits and principles can turn into something special. We set the environment for our players, now they have to accept it and immerse themselves in it.

GO YOUNG HAWKS GOOOOOO!!!

• Like 4

We will be a good rebounding team; especially in the weak East. We need to run Spellman into shape once preseason opens up and I did like the defensive effort in summer league.

I honestly think our rebounding is going to be the key factor in how many games we win.

• Like 1

Don't you just love the doctor's enthusiasm! 

Oh, he's not enthusiastic about winning.  He's 100% in the hopes of having another losing season.  Knowing that this Hawk team will not be great, he's hoping for that wonderful, elusive all star pick in next year's lottery.

Atlanta has the potential of three first round picks again next summer if all the pieces fall in place.  Some way, some how, Atlanta must move from pretty good to great.  With the worst defense, the worst offense and the worst head coach, can there be any doubt about where we're headed?

Hawks didn't sign any of those high priced, great free agents or trade for any one either.  Who will they sign that meets this description?  Next summer, when they have all that cap space?  Then, who is that great head coach we get to replace Lloyd Pierce? 

So many questions.  So many hopes.  When does the good stuff begin?

:aggressive:

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

Oh, he's not enthusiastic about winning.  He's 100% in the hopes of having another losing season.  Knowing that this Hawk team will not be great, he's hoping for that wonderful, elusive all star pick in next year's lottery.

He isn't so much hoping to see us draft an All-Star in the lottery as looking forward to complaining about us being in the lottery.

• Like 2

• Admin

I don't see a lot of D with the currently constructed team.  Dedmon, Len, Baz, and Bembry like to work at it.  Prince seemed to forget how to play last year and the rest of the team are not known for their defensive instincts.  Spellman is supposed to be a good defensive player too.  It will be interesting to see what the team puts forth this season on the defensive end.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My ratings of what I expect to be our top rotation guys:

Dedmon- Good - best defender on the team

Collins- Subpar but improving (good chance at becoming average or better this year)

Prince - Subpar but improving (need to get to average starter level this year - he has the tools)

Baze - Good (effort sometimes over results but steady development has put him above average even if clearly not a 'stopper')

Lin - Assuming injuries haven't sapped him of any athleticism, average.  If injuries impair him, downside risk.

Young - Bad but rookie seasons are for learning

Huerter - Should struggle like most rookies

Spellman - Should struggle like most rookies

Vince - Bad

Anderson - Good (might be our best defensive wing by the end of the season)

Plumlee - A little below average (only against Cs)

Len - A little below average (only against Cs)

Dorsey - Below average but improving

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

This will be the worst defense in the NBA this season.

Want to run a bet that it’s not ? Have you gambled everything else you can on this site ? I’d bet the Cavs D is worse than ours.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

My ratings of what I expect to be our top rotation guys:

Dedmon- Good - best defender on the team

Collins- Subpar but improving (good chance at becoming average or better this year)

Prince - Subpar but improving (need to get to average starter level this year - he has the tools)

Baze - Good (effort sometimes over results but steady development has put him above average even if clearly not a 'stopper')

Lin - Assuming injuries haven't sapped him of any athleticism, average.  If injuries impair him, downside risk.

Young - Bad but rookie seasons are for learning

Huerter - Should struggle like most rookies

Spellman - Should struggle like most rookies

Vince - Bad

Anderson - Good (might be our best defensive wing by the end of the season)

Plumlee - A little below average (only against Cs)

Len - A little below average (only against Cs)

Dorsey - Below average but improving

Y'all love to evaluate players that will not get much playing time.  Wonder why Bembry wasn't mentioned?  Plus Young's defense wasn't bad in summer league.  Len Is a very good rim protector so far from bad.  Actually Plumlee's defense is not bad either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Atlanta has the potential of three first round picks again next summer if all the pieces fall in place.  Some way, some how, Atlanta must move from pretty good to great.  With the worst defense, the worst offense and the worst head coach, can there be any doubt about where we're headed?

Hawks didn't sign any of those high priced, great free agents or trade for any one either.  Who will they sign that meets this description?  Next summer, when they have all that cap space?  Then, who is that great head coach we get to replace Lloyd Pierce? 

So many questions.  So many hopes.  When does the good stuff begin?

:aggressive:

Something has been lost in translation here, but I most certainly am not hoping for another terrible season and high draft pick.  I disagree with everything about the direction Travis Schlenk has taken the Hawks in.  :huh:

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

We will be a good rebounding team; especially in the weak East. We need to run Spellman into shape once preseason opens up and I did like the defensive effort in summer league.

I honestly think our rebounding is going to be the key factor in how many games we win.

of all the things that happen on  a basketball court, a team not giving its all on rebounding is the thing that drives me insane. Just rebound the damn ball- period.  Unfortunately, i don't see this team a great rebounding team.  Maybe Pierce can get them to sellout for rebounds.

of all the things that happen on  a basketball court, a team not giving its all on rebounding is the thing that drives me insane. Just rebound the damn ball- period.  Unfortunately, i don't see this team a great rebounding team.  Maybe Pierce can get them to sellout for rebounds.

I think we'll be fine rebounding wise, so long as we don't miraculously start playing small ball. Collins, Dedmon, Len and Spellman all rebound well, and Prince chips in too.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
53 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

I think we'll be fine rebounding wise, so long as we don't miraculously start playing small ball. Collins, Dedmon, Len and Spellman all rebound well, and Prince chips in too.

Don't forget Dorsey!

Now that we settled all that, now the only question is:

When do we start?  Pre Season?  Regular Season?  First home game in our new revamped home?

And, a second thought - - Are any of the current Hawks taking in our health place?  Is Chelsea Lane already working?  When does daily practice really begin?

:Nique:

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Now that we settled all that, now the only question is:

When do we start?  Pre Season?  Regular Season?  First home game in our new revamped home?

And, a second thought - - Are any of the current Hawks taking in our health place?  Is Chelsea Lane already working?  When does daily practice really begin?

:Nique:

Here you go Gramps:

• Like 1