• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WILL THIS HAWK TEAM PLAY SOME DEFENSE? YES OR NO....

Gray Mule

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bembry actually played better than Prince in summer league last year. He will never be the shooter Prince is but is better at just about everything else.

We need scorers and let coach get the team defense together. I think we are slowly but surely getting big enough and quick enough to play solid team D. I am biased against poor free throw shooters also. Bembry is horrible.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

We need scorers and let coach get the team defense together. I think we are slowly but surely getting big enough and quick enough to play solid team D. I am biased against poor free throw shooters also. Bembry is horrible.

Bembry can score...He is a wizard around the basket but you're right, he has to improve is free throw shooting

Bembry can score...He is a wizard around the basket but you're right, he has to improve is free throw shooting

Is he, I seem to remember a lot of blown layups from him. He wouldn't be the only player, but his offense on the court hasn't translated. Still think he's worth keeping, he just needs to stay healthy in order to actually show everybody what he can do.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Is he, I seem to remember a lot of blown layups from him. He wouldn't be the only player, but his offense on the court hasn't translated. Still think he's worth keeping, he just needs to stay healthy in order to actually show everybody what he can do.

I think he just needs the reps! We'll definitely see this year for sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bembry is NBA quality in every aspect of the game except shooting outside 10 feet. Yes, he's a good finisher around the basket as well as a good distributor.  His shot is inconsistent mostly due to him being heavy right handed.  If you watch this loop of him shooting, you'll see 90% of his shot is right foot, right hand. He starts balanced but as he pushes off he goes right into a right hand lean.

• Like 2

If you watch his feet...he's faking the mechanics. He looks like its a good base but that left foot travels way farther than the right after the jump. You'll see the left hand goes up with the ball but comes off completely at the start of the push...This creates too much variance.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

If you watch his feet...he's faking the mechanics. He looks like its a good base but that left foot travels way farther than the right after the jump. You'll see the left hand goes up with the ball but comes off completely at the start of the push...This creates too much variance.

I hope can improve his shot because otherwise he belongs in the NBA

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I am not worried about rebounding. Our three primary bigs are very good at that. Collins, Dedmon and Len are excellent rebounders.

Our defense does concern me. Young was the worst college defensive player I've ever seen in Oklahoma in 40+ years of watching basketball. We need Baze to play like he did last season. Prince needs to excel as our primary wing defender. Collins has to defend without fouling. I worry about Dedmon and Len being able to defend in pick and roll situations but their interior defense is solid.

This is a valid topic but it makes me question what our expectations are for this season. There's no way this team wins more than 25 games next year. That is by design but it will make for some truly awful games to watch.

I am not worried about rebounding. Our three primary bigs are very good at that. Collins, Dedmon and Len are excellent rebounders.

Our defense does concern me. Young was the worst college defensive player I've ever seen in Oklahoma in 40+ years of watching basketball. We need Baze to play like he did last season. Prince needs to excel as our primary wing defender. Collins has to defend without fouling. I worry about Dedmon and Len being able to defend in pick and roll situations but their interior defense is solid.

This is a valid topic but it makes me question what our expectations are for this season. There's no way this team wins more than 25 games next year. That is by design but it will make for some truly awful games to watch.

The team may lose a lot, but last year, the games were still watchable until we bought out Ilyasova and Bellinelli and resorted to playing G-leaguers players serious minutes. I'm not sure what to expect from our offense, but if Melvin Hunt was behind the offense Denver had I wouldn't be to concerned. They don't win too much, but I really like the offense they've built around Jokic. We could try to do some similar things with the person we have right now.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

The Nuggets were one game out of the playoffs, literally, in the West so they definitely won enough games.

We don't have a player like Jokic on this team but I do expect we will play a fast pace. 

They were a healthy Millsap from the 5th seed (and Minny a healthy Butler from 3-4 seed).  Denver should be a very nice team next year.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Sothron said:

I agree Soth and here's why...

I've seen all the stats of last seasons position players vs this seasons and why we should be better. I agree that overall the talent crop is better but there will be growing pains. Younger players with more playing time and a first time head coach.

Here is my concern at PG, we are hoping that Lin is actually healthy and can play effective minutes coming off a major injury and be the Lin of 2 years ago wether that's starting or coming off the bench to aid in Trae's development.  Last season despite whatever the stats say we had health and experience at PG.  If Lin isn't back until December, what then? 

IMO if the Hawks exceed expectations it's because Prince has a carry over from the 2nd half of last season and John Collins SL showing translates to the regular season.  They both need to show major strides defensively for the next step in their development.

• Like 2

The Nuggets were one game out of the playoffs, literally, in the West so they definitely won enough games.

We don't have a player like Jokic on this team but I do expect we will play a fast pace. 

I honestly don't think Millsap is going to be a big difference maker for them next year either. He'll be solid no doubt, but he's gonna be 33 next year so I can't expect him to be the same player he was in Atlanta. I'm not trying to hate on them, I just don't think they spend their money wisely in free agency even though they've drafted well. They do play very good basketball though.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I honestly don't think Millsap is going to be a big difference maker for them next year either. He'll be solid no doubt, but he's gonna be 33 next year so I can't expect him to be the same player he was in Atlanta. I'm not trying to hate on them, I just don't think they spend their money wisely in free agency even though they've drafted well. They do play very good basketball though.

With the Lakers adding the worlds best basketball player and Millsap on the decline, they may get pushed out of the playoffs again.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, Gray Mule said:

:aikido:

We all believe that this season's Hawk team has been built to score.  They are made up of players who have been known to score a few points.  Now, the question arises, will they be able to play any serious defense?  Trae Young wasn't a very good defensive PG in school.  Some of this could be credited to the team not wanting him to foul out, but stay on the floor for major minutes.

With all our offensive minded players who are noted for their ability to score, Atlanta has a rookie head coach who is noted for his defensive mind set.  Ditto his assistant coaches.  Some parts of defense can be learned, or so we're told.  Basketball IQ has been mentioned and it's thought that this years team are not a bunch of dumb bunnies.  They might be able to learn.  Knowing Lloyd Pierce's reputation, we expect him to try.  Building an entirely new team will take a lot of time.  Bud is gone.  We have had a huge turnover in both the coaching and players.  Our Hawk team will be just as new as their newly revamped home court.

But, back to the main question:  How much and how good will our new Hawk team's defense be?  It will make a difference.  Perhaps a huge difference.  As I have watched over the years, one thing I have noticed.  Rookies, for the most part, have some trouble learning how to play NBA defense without fouling.  And, as everyone knows, I hate seeing my team miss these. However, when we're causing them, that can make the difference between a win and a loss.

What do you expect?  Remember, almost every team in the playoffs are also very good defensive teams.

I think defense will be a work in progress overall but we brought in or kept some good pieces in order to not look so bad. We have Dedmon at center and he should be showcasing more defense this year under coach Pierce as well as continuing to expand his offense. John Collins and Omari Spellman are not as bad of defenders as most perceived coming into the league. Guys like Justin Anderson, Bembry and Prince will be formidable wing defenders and possibly Bembry could slide down to guard some 1's if necessary. We've added/kept enough defensive pieces to actually be able to halfway hold our own in those regards

Remembering Korver coming in with his known lack of defense and stepping it up with effort gives me hope for guys like Huerter. He is already a better defender than Korver was coming into the league and with the right coaching could be serviceable on that end of the court with his length.

Trae may be our weakest link on the defensive end because of his size. Watching him during the summer league he's shown me he can halfway hold his own and atleast put forth a decent effort.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/29/2018 at 5:53 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree Soth and here's why...

I've seen all the stats of last seasons position players vs this seasons and why we should be better. I agree that overall the talent crop is better but there will be growing pains. Younger players with more playing time and a first time head coach.

Here is my concern at PG, we are hoping that Lin is actually healthy and can play effective minutes coming off a major injury and be the Lin of 2 years ago wether that's starting or coming off the bench to aid in Trae's development.  Last season despite whatever the stats say we had health and experience at PG.  If Lin isn't back until December, what then? 

IMO if the Hawks exceed expectations it's because Prince has a carry over from the 2nd half of last season and John Collins SL showing translates to the regular season.  They both need to show major strides defensively for the next step in their development.

Atlanta’s front office has confidence in Young’s ability but he’s a rookie; despite how high he was chosen in the NBA Draft, it won’t be a surprise to the organization if he doesn’t put up game-changing numbers in his first year. But third-year player Taurean Prince will be expected to make a leap, possibly a major one based off how he finished his sophomore season.

Last season, Taurean Prince was thrown into the starting lineup permanently after he showed he could hold his own in the playoffs his rookie year. When given more minutes during his 2017-18 campaign, his numbers grew and he was obviously an improved player from the season before. But Prince took things to another level after the NBA All-Star break.

Before the All-Star break, the former Baylor standout averaged 12.2 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.3 assists shooting an average 36.8 percent from behind the arc, 44.3 percent from the field, and 81.7 percent from the line. After the All-Star break, Prince averaged 19 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 3.5 assists while shooting a blazing 41.2 percent from long range, the same 44.3 percent from the field, and an efficient 89.2 percent from the line.

My hope for Prince - maintain efficiency with increased usage. I like his scoring but what impressed me most was his ability to make plays for himself and others.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My hope for Prince - maintain efficiency with increased usage. I like his scoring but what impressed me most was his ability to make plays for himself and others.

He also has to improve tremendously on defense.  Even with the highly efficient (0.58 TS%) shooting numbers after the AS break, he was still a -8.0 on the floor.

• Like 1