• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WILL THIS HAWK TEAM PLAY SOME DEFENSE? YES OR NO....

Gray Mule

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Again, can you ID any posters that have thought we made nothing but bad moves?

I'll use KB as an example.  He has the lowest projection for this team of any posters I've seen so far.  Yet he has had praise for the draft, for the Dennis trade and for bringing in veteran mentors like Lin.  Maybe I'm missing the point of your post.

I do my best to abide by the rule. Don't talk about the poster talk about the post. Do you deny those post were made concerning drafting JJJ, Doncic, trading Howard, being stuck in the lottery for the next ten years, only winning 10 or 15 games this year, having the worse defense in the history of the Hawks, Travis being a liar etc....Some are rational arguments which is why I said some posters and not everyone.

I am not going to call any poster a name; but some of the stuff that gets posted, a soap opera writer would have a hard time dreaming up.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I do my best to abide by the rule. Don't talk about the poster talk about the post. Do you deny those post were made concerning drafting JJJ, Doncic, trading Howard, being stuck in the lottery for the next ten years, only winning 10 or 15 games this year, having the worse defense in the history of the Hawks, Travis being a liar etc....Some are rational arguments which is why I said some posters and not everyone.

I am not going to call any poster a name; but some of the stuff that gets posted, a soap opera writer would have a hard time dreaming up.

KB has been surprisingly positive about almost every move this summer.  We drafted the guy he rated as #3 in the class and the top guy on his board.  He is positive on Huerter with out mid-first.  He loved the Dennis trade.  He wanted vets on the roster and has praised Lin coming on board.  

So I agree that he thinks very little of Travis and rebuilding with a focus on the draft but he has been very positive about a lot of this summer.

If you are saying that there are posters who are still negative on the team after this summer then I 100% agree with that.  I've just not seen a single poster who didn't have good things to say about one or more of our moves this summer.  That latter is what I thought you were saying.

• Premium Member

What the heck happened with that post.  Can someone delete it!

AHF sees these comments as positive where a Hawk "Fan" not a Hawk critic sees them as negative

This Hawks team, as it is currently constructed, is easily a bottom 3 team in the NBA this season.  I don't see it as very likely that this team wins more than 23 games.  I happen to think it is going to be in the 18-20 range this year.  This team is just very bad.

nathan2331 likes this

This is a bottom three team in the NBA.  That is not where you want to be.

Atlanta and Sacramento are clearly at the bottom right now.  The third team in the bottom three is possibly the New York Knicks considering that Porzingis will be out for a big portion of the year.

Like I said, this team is still tanking from a management standpoint.  They will play the youth as a vector to their tank.

Regardless of whether you want to believe it or not, the reason Bud isn’t here and Pierce is has everything to do with tanking.  Pierce is fine with absorbing losses.  Bud wasn’t.  

Actually, it says more about what Travis Schlenk has planned for this organization in the short term.  Strategic losing.  Lots of losing.  

Travis Schlenk is the quitter for bottoming the team's talent to the bottom of the league

And this came from just 1 thread!  LOL!

38 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What the heck happened with that post.  Can someone delete it!

AHF sees these comments as positive where a Hawk "Fan" not a Hawk critic sees them as negative

This Hawks team, as it is currently constructed, is easily a bottom 3 team in the NBA this season.  I don't see it as very likely that this team wins more than 23 games.  I happen to think it is going to be in the 18-20 range this year.  This team is just very bad.

nathan2331 likes this

This is a bottom three team in the NBA.  That is not where you want to be.

Atlanta and Sacramento are clearly at the bottom right now.  The third team in the bottom three is possibly the New York Knicks considering that Porzingis will be out for a big portion of the year.

Like I said, this team is still tanking from a management standpoint.  They will play the youth as a vector to their tank.

Regardless of whether you want to believe it or not, the reason Bud isn’t here and Pierce is has everything to do with tanking.  Pierce is fine with absorbing losses.  Bud wasn’t.  

Actually, it says more about what Travis Schlenk has planned for this organization in the short term.  Strategic losing.  Lots of losing.  

Travis Schlenk is the quitter for bottoming the team's talent to the bottom of the league

And this came from just 1 thread!  LOL!

Like I said it is not most posters or post; just a select few. They know who they are and they also know they are a very loud and abrasive minority. Ignore is one tool I hope they never make exclusive to site supporters.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

You see these as negative?

On 7/19/2018 at 6:34 PM, KB21 said:

I would add that they got a veteran mentor for their young point guard, and it will not surprise me to see Jeremy Lin resign after this season.  That's important, IMO, because you have to have veteran mentors around for these young players to develop properly.  

On 7/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, KB21 said:

OK!  This is a trade that Travis Schlenk wins!!

On 7/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, KB21 said:

I think considering that OKC now has to pay the luxury tax on Dennis's contract in 2020 and 2021, it's hard to argue for lesser protection.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, AHF said:

I'm thinking you are pretty happy with the obvious focus on player development of Trae with the combination of the Dennis and Lin trades.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:06 PM, KB21 said:

I definitely agree with both moves.  Now, they will have $50 something odd million to play with next year.  Bring in some players that can compete and make this team better.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:01 PM, KB21 said:

Trea Young and Kevin Huerter both bring above average play making ability for their positions as well.  Trae is a tremendous passer.  It's his best trait, IMO.  His court vision and passing accuracy are the best in this draft.  He's not as good as Luka Doncic in the pick and roll game yet, but the guy knows how to pass the basketball.  

Kevin Huerter can handle the ball and has the chops to be a secondary ball handler.  He has some decision making issues at times.  There is some latent defensive potential in him as well.  He's actually a solid team defender right now. 

Omari Spellman is only 6'9", but he has a 7'2" wingspan, and has shown some rim protection ability.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, KB21 said:

Trae's court vision is ELITE!  I'm convinced that the only other player that was taken in this draft who can make some of the passes that Trae was making in the last 5 minutes is Luka Doncic.  Trae just sees the court differently than the other point guards.  

Look, he's young.  He's going to have moments this year where he can't throw the ball into the ocean.  He's going to have moments that will drive you crazy with his decision making.  However, if this coaching staff truly promotes player development even if it costs them their precious tank, this is a player who has elite play making ability from the point guard spot that can be harnessed over the next two seasons as he gains experience and his body develops.  

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Again, can you ID any posters that have thought we made nothing but bad moves?

I'll use KB as an example.  He has the lowest projection for this team of any posters I've seen so far.  Yet he has had praise for the draft, for the Dennis trade and for bringing in veteran mentors like Lin.  Maybe I'm missing the point of your post.

KB predicted we'd be the worst team on defense in the league. Last year we were 24th. Sounds like he says we'll be worse to me.  Yes, you're missing the point of his post by exchanging your definitions for his. 

His statement

"There are those who think Schlenk is a horrible GM and none of his off season moves have made us better, In fact, every move in some of the debbie downers opinions, have made us a worse team."

Your interpretation

"Again, can you ID any posters that have thought we made nothing but bad moves?"

These are not the same things, this is putting words in his mouth and it is the kind of thing that happens regularly on this board.

• Like 1

You see, you picked out a few random comments out of a hundred with a positive tone.  But Buzzard's post deals with the plethora of others that deal in absolutes.

It's like when someone says something like "Martha is the worst cook in the world," but somewhere every so often that same person says, "awesome, Martha didn't burn my toast."  He is still not saying Martha is a good cook and just because he didn't suggest burning Martha's recipe book in effigy doesn't mean he is now on board with Martha making Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You see, you picked out a few random comments out of a hundred with a positive tone.  But Buzzard's post deals with the plethora of others that deal in absolutes.

It's like when someone says something like "Martha is the worst cook in the world," but somewhere every so often that same person says, "awesome, Martha didn't burn my toast."  He is still not saying Martha is a good cook and just because he didn't suggest burning Martha's recipe book in effigy doesn't mean he is now on board with Martha making Thanksgiving dinner.

It is more like a bait and switch to me. Talk good just long enough to get you involved in the conversation and then switch to the every day drivel about how Schlenk sucks, Pierce sucks, the Team sucks, and the Tank sucks.

Ignore is awesome because the same old drivel gets old.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AHF said:

KB has been surprisingly positive about almost every move this summer.  We drafted the guy he rated as #3 in the class and the top guy on his board.  He is positive on Huerter with out mid-first.  He loved the Dennis trade.  He wanted vets on the roster and has praised Lin coming on board.  

So I agree that he thinks very little of Travis and rebuilding with a focus on the draft but he has been very positive about a lot of this summer.

If you are saying that there are posters who are still negative on the team after this summer then I 100% agree with that.  I've just not seen a single poster who didn't have good things to say about one or more of our moves this summer.  That latter is what I thought you were saying.

Would have been faster just to clarify that what was being said was there are people who are still negative on the team and that it wasn't about all our moves.

If you have read all of KB's posts over the last year, you should know he is in a veritable land of sunshine from the draft to now.  Not by GMule standards but by KB standards.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, AHF said:

Would have been faster just to clarify that what was being said was there are people who are still negative on the team and that it wasn't about all our moves.

If you have read all of KB's posts over the last year, you should know he is in a veritable land of sunshine from the draft to now.  Not by GMule standards but by KB standards.

So your saying his felony message board behavoirs has be dropped to mere misdemeanors since the draft. :MooseGoggles: Got it

• Like 1

The interesting thing is the vast majority of us see ourselves as the voice of logic and reason. :excl:Welcome to the fun house

55 minutes ago, AHF said:

:excl:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The interesting thing is the vast majority of us see ourselves as the voice of logic and reason. :excl:Welcome to the fun house

:excl:

And I thought the biases were restricted to the players...Silly me! Lol! AHF's post explained a lot because everyone and I mean everyone was wondering why KB21 was allowed to be you know KB for so long.  lol

KB21 is optimistic.  He just has a hard time believing. 

He tries to keep us who get too optimistic from flying away.  He knows, as do we all, that this Hawk team, as constructed, is not a great team.

If this Hawk team has a 4-6 record, KB21 sees the six losses.  The optimistic of us see the four wins.  We yell, "Yea!  We won four!"  KB21 reminds us, "You just lost six."

Have patience with both of us.  We both believe.  Have patience.  I believe that our youngsters will grow faster than he does.  He's pessimistic.  I'm optimistic.  At the end of the season we will all take a look and see who is closer to the final totals.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

He tries to keep us who get too optimistic from flying away.  He knows, as do we all, that this Hawk team, as constructed, is not a great team.

If this Hawk team has a 4-6 record, KB21 sees the six losses.  The optimistic of us see the four wins.  We yell, "Yea!  We won four!"  KB21 reminds us, "You just lost six."

Have patience with both of us.  We both believe.  Have patience.  I believe that our youngsters will grow faster than he does.  He's pessimistic.  I'm optimistic.  At the end of the season we will all take a look and see who is closer to the final totals.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

I’m with you Gramps! I think our team is going to grow a lot faster than expected. Again though, I’d love to “grow” (the T word) ☝️ more year. Trae is going to be the difference. We have a QB now that we’ve never had and people will love it. 

GO HAWKS!!!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

GO ATL HAWKS !!

I think you are being too nice...He has said that if the Hawks start to win too much, the GM would step in and start trading/buying out the culprits responsible for the unnecessary victories. If you call that optimistic, we have diferent definitions of that word.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I think you are being too nice...He has said that if the Hawks start to win too much, the GM would step in and start trading/buying out the culprits responsible for the unnecessary victories. If you call that optimistic, we have diferent definitions of that word.

Ill still say no such thing as unnecessary victories. Wins help development too. 

Y'all disappointed in KB for telling the truth?  Over 65% of the things he's said about this team, or has predicted during this offseason, has been right on the money.   Yeah, he can go off the deep end of negativity, but even negative things are the truth sometimes.

I have to admit that I'm more on the pessimistic side about this team this year, even though I'll be rooting hard for them to win.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Y'all disappointed in KB for telling the truth?  Over 65% of the things he's said about this team, or has predicted during this offseason, has been right on the money.   Yeah, he can go off the deep end of negativity, but even negative things are the truth sometimes.

I have to admit that I'm more on the pessimistic side about this team this year, even though I'll be rooting hard for them to win.

Who was talking about right or wrong?

I think the biggest difference between what some of you believe and what I believe is the difference between fairy tales and reality.  Some of you believe that everything the Hawks have done over the past year will all be unicorns and rainbows, and I live in the reality that teams that do what the Hawks have done in the past year tend to stay down for a long time.

Take Trae Young for example.  He's a good pick.  I had him as the #3 player on my board.  The thing with me is, I realize that 99% of rookies do not make an impact on winning games as rookies.  Trae is going to be a strong player.  It just will not be during his rookie season, nor likely in his second season either.

I like Kevin Huerter.  I had him as the #14 player on my board.  He's going to be a good player in the NBA.  He will not be good as a rookie though.  These are two players who the Hawks will be counting on heavily this year.  Kevin Huerter as a rookie, while he will not be a "winning" player, he will still be an upgrade to a second year Tyler Dorsey in the rotation.  Because he will be better than Tyler Dorsey, who I think is a G-League level player, he will be a key member in the rotation as a rookie.  If Dorsey is playing a lot of minutes, then the team is clearly tanking.

For comparison, the Hawks currently have 5 players on the entire roster who have a positive WAR projection for 2018-2019.  The Brooklyn Nets currently have 11 players who have a positive WAR projection for 2018-2019.

Folks, you can pump sunshine and rainbows all you want to and it isn't going to change the fact that this is going to be a horrendous basketball team in 2018-2019.