• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Melo [was] still a Hawk... Why?

NBASupes

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ok, I got my sawed-off baseball bat.

Ya know, the one ol'-timey barkeeps keep behind the bar to threaten rabble-rousers.

Anyway, somebody point me to tha dead horse that needs a beatin'.  I got some in-law aggression to work out 

Now that is funny.

4 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

That is yet to be seen^^^^^^

I’m seeing it now with Menace gone and a $hit-ton of cap space in ‘19-‘20. Not even counting the 1st rounder.

39 minutes ago, sturt said:

Now that's not funny. In context, from a time when slapstick was king, so understandable... but in this time, men don't slap women even for shucks.

I disagree, sturt.  There was never a time when slapping women was 'acceptable', as your message appears to suggest.

{sips tea slowly, awaiting countermove}

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Don't attempt to paint the other person's position or the person himself as something that isn't, please.

Yup.  Seeing a strawman beaten isn't fun for anyone.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Not interested in going back to that discussion, @AHF... just trying to make sure there's some precision in words. Take issue with the other person's substance. Don't attempt to paint the other person's position or the person himself as something that isn't, please.

I totally misunderstood you then. I did think your position was the very real possibility that something other than what happened could happen for some reason or reasons you were working so to explain.

Sorry for that.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

the very real possibility that something other than what happened could happen for some reason or reasons you were working so to explain.

Sorry for that.

@AHF, this board needs some attorneys that can occasionally volunteer to do the mediation thing. I think I've explained pretty precisely that characterizing my comments as suggesting a conspiracy is inaccurate, and that characterizing me as someone who consistently advances the theory that Schlenk will prove to be a doofus GM is inaccurate. And yet, here we are.

*sigh*

People are fine to disagree, but they should disagree about what is actually disagreed on.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I disagree, sturt.  There was never a time when slapping women was 'acceptable', as your message appears to suggest.

{sips tea slowly, awaiting countermove}

"Countermove?" What is this, a chess game?

The very point that the decision was made on your part to post THAT gif in the first place...

And that it remains, even in spite of your assertion that it's supposedly not acceptable...

Kinda is a problem for you, at least if hypocrisy matters.

That I would acknowledge that there was a time when "comedy" permitted this kind of thing... hence, the very fact that you found it in the first place... is just a historical fact.

You have the last word on that one... defend your decisions, or not, but I'm not a prude just because I believe there can be the occasional comment or graphic posted that crosses a line that I believe shouldn't be crossed even in the guise of humor.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, hazer said:

I’m seeing it now with Menace gone and a $hit-ton of cap space in ‘19-‘20. Not even counting the 1st rounder.

Protected 1st rounder.  We will see if they spend the money on a free agent or trade for one.  

6 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Protected 1st rounder.  We will see if they spend the money on a free agent or trade for one.  

Still a 1st-rounder, not uncommon for them to have protection.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, sturt said:

@AHF, this board needs some attorneys that can occasionally volunteer to do the mediation thing. I think I've explained pretty precisely that characterizing my comments as suggesting a conspiracy is inaccurate, and that characterizing me as someone who consistently advances the theory that Schlenk will prove to be a doofus GM is inaccurate. And yet, here we are.

*sigh*

People are fine to disagree, but they should disagree about what is actually disagreed on.

"Countermove?" What is this, a chess game?

The very point that the decision was made on your part to post THAT gif in the first place...

And that it remains, even in spite of your assertion that it's supposedly not acceptable...

Kinda is a problem for you, at least if hypocrisy matters.

That I would acknowledge that there was a time when "comedy" permitted this kind of thing... hence, the very fact that you found it in the first place... is just a historical fact.

You have the last word on that one... defend your decisions, or not, but I'm not a prude just because I believe there can be the occasional comment or graphic posted that crosses a line that I believe shouldn't be crossed even in the guise of humor.

KG is well aware of the juxtaposition of his last two posts and is very obviously messing with you for the irony of it.

• Premium Member

I guess I'm just stupid or naive or both, then.

No kidding, I have no clue what irony you're talking about. Super slo-mo... @kg01 made the statement he did in that post without me even being involved in the conversation. He's tried since then, but he was not messing with me at the moment he decided to post that GIF. He was playing to the compliment given him by another poster (which compliment was fine by me).

And I didn't bring up the substance of that dead horse discussion, rather, only responded to someone else bringing it up, and brought it up in a way that pretended I was suggesting some "conspiracy" was afoot... honest people can disagree with me on my position in that dead horse discussion, and yet, also be sincere enough to see the attempt to throw shade by characterizing it as some "conspiracy" plot was a clear misrepresentation. Obviously, the term "conspiracy" carries with it some baggage that @Buzzard wanted to push. I'm not wrong to push back and refuse the baggage.

I'm not serious about the mediation thing (hope you get that), but my point was @Buzzard was/is clearly not interested in defending his conspiracy label/fallacy.

• Premium Member

Best I can figure, the "irony" is rooted in agreement with your theory of necessary inference and "splitting hairs" back in the dead horse conversation.

Two things. Nay, three.

1. I did not just make stuff up. Rather, I took the report of arguably the most respected NBA reporter of this era as precisely accurate. Something wrong with that? No, there's not.

Anyone reading Woj verbatim had to make some presumption of whether he was being precise in his report or not, particularly where it concerned verb tense.

People who prefer the assumption that a promise was made to Melo by the Hawks naturally read into that report as-if Woj slipped. And you guys COULD have been right. Notably, there is nothing that will ever tell us either way... please think logically here... the conclusion of the matter does not establish at what point the Hawks said anything to Melo.

People who prefer the assumption that the Hawks dealt with OKC straight-up naturally read into Woj's report that he had said it just exactly as it had been. And that, also COULD be right.

2. I didn't drag this back out for additional back-and-forth. So, don't pretend otherwise. I've ONLY been answering jabs taken at my assertion.

That we're even still having that conversation in any way is on the people who dragged it back out.

3. None of the conversation provides any moral shade for posting a GIF like was posted. I'm just one of those who think sometimes morality should give us pause before deciding the presumed laugh to be worth it.

6 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm not serious about the mediation thing (hope you get that), but my point was @Buzzard was/is clearly not interested in defending his conspiracy label/fallacy.

What happened is exactly what 99.9 % of everyone in the sporting world reported. The conspiracy was "we were going to keep Melo; against both his and his agents wishes and trade him."

Honestly I respect most of your opinions but this one was so far out in left field, you may as well have been conjuring up a trade scenario on how we would get KD or Bron this summer.

As far as my opinion goes, us keeping Melo to trade him again was more like a bad fairy tale than it was a behind the scenes assumption on what was going on in Schlenks office. If you don't get that, I am sorry. But that is my honest opinion.

• Premium Member

Today's generation worries way too much about name calling and words.  I was taught that sticks and stones may break my bones, BUT words will never hurt me.  We have become way to soft as a society and will pay in the end.

Now back to the Hawks

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

As I delete part of my post deemed unacceptable for the current climate of gender relations I just checked the current roster and why the hell is Delaney still here?

Depends on the site you are using.  Some take a long time to make adjustments on non-critical players.

As for our free-agents, they technically occupy part of our cap until signed by another team or renounced. So some sites leave them up until their signings become official (and a tech can get to it). In Delaney's case, he is being signed in China, but I don't think that signing is 100% complete official in regards to the NBA yet. There are some wranglings that have to happen.  Signed there first, renounced here, signed off on by China basketball, acknowledged by NBA...takes time. The "announcements" in the media are usually post agreement, pre-signing and take a bit.

• Like 1