• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Melo [was] still a Hawk... Why?

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I do recall a faction that didn't "believe" in the team, expected them to fall to earth.  Lotta snippiness around that.

** I sincerely apologize if anyone becomes offended over the content of my post. ** :happy:

?...Narcissism allowed me to live in ignorant bliss I guess because I wanted to throw a party every day and invite all of you squawkers. That’s how happy I was...specially January of 2015, probably the best month in Hawks history.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly, plus the whole DF/Ownership debacle.- how soon we forget.

I’m a shooter....I forget quickly. Think Starks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m a shooter....I forget quickly. Think Starks.

I don't think you should be using this terminology.  Considering the gun situation in this country, I think this trivializes the struggle.  I expect a 2-page, typed apology forthwith. :dry:

:happy:

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't think you should be using this terminology.  Considering the gun situation in this country, I think this trivializes the struggle.  I expect a 2-page, typed apology forthwith. :dry:

Wtf... I’m afraid to show any emotion to this.. ? 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ha......Since I've been on this forum people have been going at it. Even during the 60 win season, has nothing to do with tanking.

Normally people go at each other over something related to the topic.  When you're team is losing, someone could say that you have the wrong color shirt on today, and those are fighting words.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Normally people go at each other over something related to the topic.  When you're team is losing, someone could say that you have the wrong color shirt on today, and those are fighting words.

Then don't wear the wrong color shirt. :battingeyelashes:

When it comes to discussing the Hawks I try not to take it too seriously. 

• Moderators

I’ve always envisioned this place like getting together with buddies at a bar.  You fiercely debate, commiserate over the bad times, celebrate the good ones and then put the arguments aside and join eachother for a cold one and watch some Hawks.  Everybody is here because they love this team so it is a nice common bond.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I’ve always envisioned this place like getting together with buddies at a bar.  You fiercely debate, commiserate over the bad times, celebrate the good ones and then put the arguments aside and join eachother for a cold one and watch some Hawks.  Everybody is here because they love this team so it is a nice common bond.

Hmm, did it just get like that recently or ...

(hehe.  Don't bann me, bro)

Back to the original question that we had before us before everyone went off chasing rabbits:

Why wasn't our new Hawk gone already?

#1 - These things take time.  Nothing is final until the paper work is done.

#2 - Hawks negotiated with him and got the payoff down several $$$ dollars.  His salary that we pay will count against our total payroll this season only, then it's all gone and we have lots of room then because Dennis will be gone too.  Plus, we have some who's contract runs out at the end of the season.

:dry:

Actually, the buy out was negotiated down by $2.4 million.

That may not be a huge amount of $$$ in this mega $$$ NBA league.  But, to me, this is more than I earned in a lifetime of work.

As I understand it, what we pay him counts 100% against our payroll cap.  If this is true, Hawks can use this $2.4 million on another player.  This is somewhere in the range of a veteran minimum.  Vince Carter signed for this minimum, as did our brief Hawk player we bought out, when he signed with his new team.

Seems that we went around the stump to swap Melo for Vince.  Works for me to think of it this way, whether it's actually true or not.

:Baze:  (Still a Hawk)  Hawks may just keep him for now.  That's OK.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Actually, the buy out was negotiated down by $2.4 million.

That may not be a huge amount of $$$ in this mega $$$ NBA league.  But, to me, this is more than I earned in a lifetime of work.

As I understand it, what we pay him counts 100% against our payroll cap.  If this is true, Hawks can use this $2.4 million on another player.  This is somewhere in the range of a veteran minimum.  Vince Carter signed for this minimum, as did our brief Hawk player we bought out, when he signed with his new team.

Seems that we went around the stump to swap Melo for Vince.  Works for me to think of it this way, whether it's actually true or not.

:Baze:  (Still a Hawk)  Hawks may just keep him for now.  That's OK.

:biggrin:

I think the buyout gets us what we needed to sign Len.

I did the math yesterday in another thread. The Len deal puts us 3.9 mil (plus change) over the cap.  He was signed via the non-tax payer MLE.

Prior to signing Vince and Hamilton, we had approximately 4.175 million after the Carmelo buyout.

Hamilton $1,349,383

Carter $2.4 million

The deals were done in the order they were so that Carter could sign for the room created by Melo instead of the 10 year vet minimum. This was a head nod to Carter, so he wouldn't be signed for "the minimum". You see, if signed to 1 year, it would be less but a 2 year deal on a 10 year vet minimum would start at 2.393 million.  So they signed him for 1 year 2.4 million.  This is why the Carmelo deal was discounted 2.4 million. It's the amount Carmelo would sign for elsewhere and what it took to sign Carter. They did this so the math was an easy wash.

So add Hamilton and Carter to our cap space and we were left with $400k in cap space. Needed to use the MLE to sign Len. This means we thought highly of him to use the MLE.

• Like 2