• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rockets after Baze

Vol4ever

5 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

At this point I think we'd have too many draft picks if the hypothetical pick from a Bazemore trade comes in 2019. There's no way we draft 5 rookies. We already have 4 picks and the second rounder is bound to be a high pick. We'd mostly will consolidate the picks we already have and while an extra pick won't hurt, I don't think it'd fetch us much either.

Bazemore isn't essential by any means, but I don't think we should trade him unless we start winning too many games. I really don't want 2 years of Ryan Anderson when we are already wasting money having Plumlee on board. I know it's a pipe dream wanting to be players in free agency, but we're in a good position where if a star was to force a trade within the next couple of seasons, we could make a play and have money to add more talent. Bazemore is likely going to opt in, but even if he does he's definitely moveable without having to take on major dead weight.

I don't think you can have too many draft picks per se.  I agree that we are capped out in terms of lower level picks in '19, but if you can a 2021 or 2022 pick then that is a valuable asset.

I do agree that the Ryan Anderson piece of this trade is a bit hard to swallow and thus the need for the significant sweetener in the pick and hopefully another player.  

I don't think the Hawks are in a rush to move Baze, but if their price is met, they will move him.  Remember we have Justin  Anderson who can fill a lot of Baze did in terms of on-court play. I have no idea what he's like in the locker room, but I suspect he's a good guy to have around given that Pierce at least gave Travis good intel on the guy. 

The last issue for me is the Hawks are actually thin at PF.  Behind Collins there isn't much. You could put Spellman there. Or go with Prince. Dedmon is a true C, and would really struggle there for any stretch. Same with Len. So, just from a roster construction view, Baze and JA are redundant, and we are thin at PF- thus, a trade for a serviceable PF who can also mentor Collins is not a bad play. 

• Like 1

I don't think you can have too many draft picks per se.  I agree that we are capped out in terms of lower level picks in '19, but if you can a 2021 or 2022 pick then that is a valuable asset.

I do agree that the Ryan Anderson piece of this trade is a bit hard to swallow and thus the need for the significant sweetener in the pick and hopefully another player.  

I don't think the Hawks are in a rush to move Baze, but if their price is met, they will move him.  Remember we have Justin  Anderson who can fill a lot of Baze did in terms of on-court play. I have no idea what he's like in the locker room, but I suspect he's a good guy to have around given that Pierce at least gave Travis good intel on the guy. 

The last issue for me is the Hawks are actually thin at PF.  Behind Collins there isn't much. You could put Spellman there. Or go with Prince. Dedmon is a true C, and would really struggle there for any stretch. Same with Len. So, just from a roster construction view, Baze and JA are redundant, and we are thin at PF- thus, a trade for a serviceable PF who can also mentor Collins is not a bad play. 

I can't disagree with any of your logic. Realistically, Bazemore isn't it our long-term starter at SG, and there's no reason when he hits free agency we should pay him big money to eventually come off the bench if we're planning ahead of time. A team somewhere will pay him to be a starter and it likely won't be Atlanta, therefore trading him while we can might be our best option. He's brings value off the the floor, but like you said, that value is limited.