• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rockets after Baze

Vol4ever

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

You shouldn't need to pay $20M for a solid vet to be a role model.  I would take a late first over the value Bazemore provides.  Get a vet min guy like Vince Carter to fill the same purpose.  

First round picks can be used as trading chips, and you can find actual rotational players in the late first round.  I don't understand the concept that we should keep Bazemore at that cost to be a mentor.  The Spurs and Warriors find players all the time in the late first round.  

It’s more than just have 1 guy. It’s about having a group of vets who can positively influence the locker room. That will have immensely more value than a late 1st.

5 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think keeping Baz is important because you need solid Vets ... and he actually wants to be here (which is rare).  I was watching Hard Knocks last night and Jarvis Landry started ripping into the other Clev WRs and that is an example of a Vet move that can help a team.  Baz is a vet and he can help these young kids.  Set an example both on and off.  Ryno trade does nothing for us ... I think it is more beneficial to have Baz then a 29th pick and extra salary

I agree wholeheartedly.  Hard to believe some people want to dump Baze and take on an even worse contract (by far) in Anderson.  He wants to be here, and I hope he gets to stay.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Final_quest said:

You shouldn't need to pay $20M for a solid vet to be a role model.  I would take a late first over the value Bazemore provides.  Get a vet min guy like Vince Carter to fill the same purpose.  

First round picks can be used as trading chips, and you can find actual rotational players in the late first round.  I don't understand the concept that we should keep Bazemore at that cost to be a mentor.  The Spurs and Warriors find players all the time in the late first round.  

But you are still paying Anderson MORE than Baze for less than being a solid vet.  If there  was some salary relief in doing the trade, then it would make more sense.

Guess we're in 'stay tuned' mode on a Baze trade ...

https://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/kushner-pelicans-still-missing-wing-as-training-camp-nears/article_4e6c260d-7cfb-56c6-bf6f-f421131ef122.html

Various sources and several reports said the Pelicans were active in trade talks this summer, notably with the tanking Atlanta Hawks for Kent Bazemore. But with so few teams eager to dump quality players before opening tip, hoping to make a playoff run of their own, the cost was too steep

Demps is counting on the price of quality veterans in losing situations to come down as the season slogs along and hope transforms into grim reality for potential trade partners.

IOW, Dell is gonna try to wait us out.  Good luck, Dell.

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Guess we're in 'stay tuned' mode on a Baze trade ...

https://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/kushner-pelicans-still-missing-wing-as-training-camp-nears/article_4e6c260d-7cfb-56c6-bf6f-f421131ef122.html

IOW, Dell is gonna try to wait us out.  Good luck, Dell.

I think we end up getting a first for Baze easily. There will be more than just the Pelicans and Rockets looking to beef up their roster in the near future.

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

I think we end up getting a first for Baze easily. There will be more than just the Pelicans and Rockets looking to beef up their roster in the near future.

Don't share your confidence but him playing well could make that much more of a reality.  

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

A playoff teams future first; not a lottery pick future first,

That is what I assumed.  A lottery pick future first would have left me worried enough about your mental health to recommend a visit to Dr. KB.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:52 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

But you are still paying Anderson MORE than Baze for less than being a solid vet.  If there  was some salary relief in doing the trade, then it would make more sense.

The money is a sunk cost.  It's about getting something for an asset.  The prize is not Anderson, or whoever makes the salary work, it's the pick or picks in return.  You have $20 Million and two options.

1. Pay Baze and have a good vet to provide leadership for a season.

2. Pay someone to sit on the bench, like Anderson, and get a couple assets.

This is more of a question if you would rather spend Baze's salary on a solid locker room veteran presence for a year or a draft pick that you control for 5+ years.  Sorry, I don't think a season of Kent Bazemore, amazing buddy and vet, is on par with the draft pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Final_quest said:

The money is a sunk cost.  It's about getting something for an asset.  The prize is not Anderson, or whoever makes the salary work, it's the pick or picks in return.  You have $20 Million and two options.

1. Pay Baze and have a good vet to provide leadership for a season.

2. Pay someone to sit on the bench, like Anderson, and get a couple assets.

This is more of a question if you would rather spend Baze's salary on a solid locker room veteran presence for a year or a draft pick that you control for 5+ years.  Sorry, I don't think a season of Kent Bazemore, amazing buddy and vet, is on par with the draft pick.

His presence as a vet is farm more impactful that the likely impact of a late 20s draft pick 3-4 years from now.

6 hours ago, Final_quest said:

To hear you talk it’s like the draft doesn’t exist.  That is where virtually every NBA player comes from.  

One year of Kent Bazemore has nearly 100% certainty to make no impact on our franchise.  A first round draft pick has more potential.  

Don’t undervalue a solid group of veterans in developing and being an example for a young team. A late 1st is an absolute gamble at best and the odds are against that player even being in the NBA much less being half as good as Baze.

15 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Don’t undervalue a solid group of veterans in developing and being an example for a young team. A late 1st is an absolute gamble at best and the odds are against that player even being in the NBA much less being half as good as Baze.

The point is you can find other vets that don’t cost $20M.  Late round picks are less likely to become rotation players, but it happens all the time.  

If you do find a player they have a 5 year rookie contract plus the option to match their RFA contract.  I like Kent Bazemore, but I’d rather take a shot in the draft.  

• Like 1

The point is you can find other vets that don’t cost $20M.  Late round picks are less likely to become rotation players, but it happens all the time.  

If you do find a player they have a 5 year rookie contract plus the option to match their RFA contract.  I like Kent Bazemore, but I’d rather take a shot in the draft.  

At this point I think we'd have too many draft picks if the hypothetical pick from a Bazemore trade comes in 2019. There's no way we draft 5 rookies. We already have 4 picks and the second rounder is bound to be a high pick. We'd mostly will consolidate the picks we already have and while an extra pick won't hurt, I don't think it'd fetch us much either.

Bazemore isn't essential by any means, but I don't think we should trade him unless we start winning too many games. I really don't want 2 years of Ryan Anderson when we are already wasting money having Plumlee on board. I know it's a pipe dream wanting to be players in free agency, but we're in a good position where if a star was to force a trade within the next couple of seasons, we could make a play and have money to add more talent. Bazemore is likely going to opt in, but even if he does he's definitely moveable without having to take on major dead weight.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Think we can put this one to bed. If Baze to Rockets was going to happen, it would be done already.

No I don’t agree. We’ve seen teams lag on getting a player then end up getting him later in the season. Usually not stars but Baze types for sure.