• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did y'all ever get the feeling that some of the pick ups last year were Bud players?

Peoriabird

I know for 100% fact that the decision on Howard was made because of:

1.  Tony Ressler's desire to get a "big name" player in Atlanta.

2.  Tony Ressler felt that Howard's name and the fact the he was from Atlanta would be very marketable.

He was wrong on both accounts.

Mike Budenholzer was having dinner with Al Horford trying to get him to resign with the Hawks when Tony Ressler decided to pursue Dwight Howard.  This was one of the biggest contributing factors for Bud leaving Atlanta.  He had lost all trust in Tony Ressler.  

We also have rumors of Trae Young being the guy Tony Ressler wanted while the scouting staff was more on Luka Doncic.

• Moderators

Howard seems to have been a Ressler move.

I remember there being a rift on Sap between Wilcox and Bud where Bud appealed to Ressler to keep Bud and Ressler put his foot down to block any trade.  My memory may be off but that is what I recall on that one. It was a strange sequence of media reports that led to that point and clearly the organization was not aligned.

Horford is a mixed bag.  It is the GM's responsibility to convince his owner to approve the right moves and to be the lead on negotiations and offers.  I have a hard time believing that Ressler was OK with a near max deal but was personally driving negotiations so that it all broke down.  Reports out of Boston and the immediate heel turn by Horford's family also suggests he may have already been gone regardless so the failure to resign him may not rest at the feet of anyone in Atlanta.

As we've previously discussed, I'm not a fan of owners making personnel calls or getting involved in the draft / trade process and I hope Ressler gives Travis the freedom to run the team his way and fires and replaces Schlenk if he ever loses confidence in him rather than undermining the organization by overruling the GM.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Howard seems to have been a Ressler move.

Because you believe it or you know it? Bud and Ferry met with Howard back in 2013 and this time Bud met with Howard and he signed like that night. I have a hard time believing hyperbole that Bud did not want a past defensive player of the year; given he came from the Spurs.

https://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/07/03/hawks-gm-danny-ferry-to-meet-with-howard/

I have a hard time believing Ressler was all that excited to get Howard only to take a loss in assets to get rid of him the very next season. He did not become a millionaire by being wishy washy or non committed. Bud proved by walking, committed is not exactly in his make up.

I guess sports is a lot like religion. It is not what you can prove, it is what you believe.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Folks think Resseler is just lying to cover for his employees screw ups but whatever

So he definitely nixed trading Sap.  It reached his desk and he said NFW.  Howard I don't know.   Reading the comment on Horford maybe he saying he might have intervened and said "offer him the max" but didn't.   That's pretty possible.  Either way you can see that back then he felt like he needed to be the guy in charge.   Glad he learned that's foolhardy. 

NO one can ever convince me (and I don't need direct quotes on this one, it's not rocket surgery) that knowing what Budenolzer likes to do on the court he was a staunch advocate of signing Dwight Howard (in lieu of Al) - that moved stripped the entire identity of the Hawks and Bud's free flowing offense....that falls to Ressler and Koonin - it was all marketing - Hometown kid returns to his roots, blah blah blah.  

Other things we learned.

• Ressler was directly involved in the negotiations with Horford and admits that he might do things differently if he had the opportunity.
  • That the front office was divided on the decision not to trade Paul Millsap at the deadline, but that he killed the notion entirely when it reached his desk.
  • Ressler believes that the 2017 edition of the Atlanta Hawks is a “better playoff team” than the 2015 club that won 60 games and reached the Eastern Conference Finals.
  • Ressler doesn’t anticipate making changes to the Hawks’ front office structure.

There is a lot there and not a mention of the decision to sign Dwight Howard however, according to Schultz, you can blame Ressler for that move also.

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

Because you believe it or you know it? Bud and Ferry met with Howard back in 2013 and this time Bud met with Howard and he signed like that night. I have a hard time believing hyperbole that Bud did not want a past defensive player of the year; given he came from the Spurs.

https://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/07/03/hawks-gm-danny-ferry-to-meet-with-howard/

I have a hard time believing Ressler was all that excited to get Howard only to take a loss in assets to get rid of him the very next season. He did not become a millionaire by being wishy washy or non committed. Bud proved by walking, committed is not exactly in his make up.

I guess sports is a lot like religion. It is not what you can prove, it is what you believe.

I don't really know.  There are no reports of Bud meeting with Dwight one on one.   All reports are Dwight met with "a contingent from the Hawks at an Atlanta hotel".     

One thing we do know is that when Travis took over Bud was still trying to hang on to Sap but was making no effort to prevent TS from trading Dwight.   

That whole era was a friggin organizational disaster.   Horford pissed me off in the way he left town but who can blame him when the dysfunction is this high.  

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Quote about Dwight meeting with Bud:

Quote about Bud running more of a Spurs like offense with Howard.

Quote about Bud wanting Howard in 2013.

Now those who think it is Ressler and not Bud, go find your articles; instead of writing a Bud Bible on the Squawk.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/sekou_smith/07/13/this-time-around-dwight-howard-ready-for-challenge-of-coming-home/

Bud apologist Busted!!!!!

• Like 3

The fact that you will believe what is written in an article where the only goal from the organization’s standpoint is to shine things up so they don’t appear as they actually are tells me all I need to know about the mentality of what one dealing with.  

You are getting what the Hawks wanted you to believe.  I got direct information from an inside source at that time.  

Think about it.  Bud runs a free flowing, five out motion offensive scheme and a defensive scheme that is based upon switching and versatility.   So, what parts of Swight’s game fits this style?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The fact that you will believe what is written in an article where the only goal from the organization’s standpoint is to shine things up so they don’t appear as they actually are tells me all I need to know about the mentality of what one dealing with.  

You are getting what the Hawks wanted you to believe.  I got direct information from an inside source at that time.  

Think about it.  Bud runs a free flowing, five out motion offensive scheme and a defensive scheme that is based upon switching and versatility.   So, what parts of Swight’s game fits this style?

So you are saying that Bud was misquoted?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud apologist Busted!!!!!

The one I posted before this one was on how much Dwight loved Bud. You see I am not asking them to find a negative quote from Ressler but they cannot find even a few positive quotes from Ressler.

Ressler let Bud do his thing just as he is letting Schlenk do his thing. Bud was demoted the season following signing Bazemore and signing Howard. 36-37 million a year starting and not one of them sniffed an all-star game in 2017.

Two starting role players at 18 million a year average for each. That still makes my stomach churn to think about it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

The one I posted before this one was on how much Dwight loved Bud. You see I am not asking them to find a negative quote from Ressler but they cannot find even a few positive quotes from Ressler.

Ressler let Bud do his thing just as he is letting Schlenk do his thing. Bud was demoted the season following signing Bazemore and signing Howard. 36-37 million a year starting and not one of them sniffed an all-star game in 2017.

Two starting role players at 18 million a year average for each. That still makes my stomach churn to think about it.

That's why I call the Bud saga the Mike Smith era.  Everyone wanted to blame TD for the Falcon's personnel issues.. No pass rushers etc.  But we now see where the bucks stopped.  Same with last year's Hawks roster.  The Bud apologist wanted to dump it all of on Schlenk but now that all of those guys are gone along with their coach, so we all know where the bucks stopped last year

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, you actually believe that Bud would come out and say that he did not want to make this deal?

Wait, so he wasn't quoted?  The reporter just made it up?  They stated that Bud had been in persuit of Howard for 3 years!!!  Did you miss that part?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, I'm not going to let you continue to desecrate Mike Budenholzer's name by attaching him to a move that was clearly done by Tony Ressler.

Ick, this made me throw up in my mouth a lil. This is a Hawks fan page, not some Mike Pudenholzer shrine. Desecrate, pfffffft. The jock-riding is strong with this one ?

• Like 2

What are y'all arguing for? It doesn't really matter either way. Whether Bud wanted Dwight even as a consolation prize or it was a move totally pushed for by Ressler, the fact is it didn't work and we got out of the deal after a year when it was clear the team was done being a contender. Dwight was the next best thing after Horford went to Boston, who else could've made a difference in that offseason?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

What are y'all arguing for? It doesn't really matter either way. Whether Bud wanted Dwight even as a consolation prize or it was a move totally pushed for by Ressler, the fact is it didn't work and we got out of the deal after a year when it was clear the team was done being a contender. Dwight was the next best thing after Horford went to Boston, who else could've made a difference in that offseason?

It is not even a debate anymore. Those few who look on him with an almost religious zeal cannot admit that he could ever do anything so grievous as to sign Howard and Baze just because he wanted them.

In a nutshell, he is Red Auerbach for them without drafting the HOF players or Championships.