• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did y'all ever get the feeling that some of the pick ups last year were Bud players?

Peoriabird

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

...and before anyone mentions it, Bud did not make the move for Dwight Howard and allow Al Horford to leave.  That was all Tony Ressler.

I know we have seen evidence suggesting Ressler wanted Howard.  Is there anything suggesting he dictated how negotiations would proceed with Horford?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

I know we have seen evidence suggesting Ressler wanted Howard.  Is there anything suggesting he dictated how negotiations would proceed with Horford?

IIRC Ressler saying something to the effect that he should have been more involved instead of having the teams 'cap expert' who Al wasn't really familiar with handling the negotiations.

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

IIRC Ressler saying something to the effect that he should have been more involved instead of having the teams 'cap expert' who Al wasn't really familiar with handling the negotiations.

Yeah - that would suggest that Ressler wasn't driving the bus on those negotiations as opposed to saying Budcox were being overruled by him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah - that would suggest that Ressler wasn't driving the bus on those negotiations as opposed to saying Budcox were being overruled by him.

Well he sid say he has final say. That if we thought Bud did, that wasn't so. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well he sid say he has final say. That if we thought Bud did, that wasn't so. 

By that rationale he gets credit and blame for literally everything.  The Howard situation screams to me of Ressler's fingerprints.  The Horford one seems like Budcox chose to slow-play those negotiations and then Horford walked.  That isn't meant to suggest that Horford might not have walked anyway, though.  I definitely acknowledge that he may have been a lost cause.

The real inflection point for me was not dealing him at the deadline, though.  Seemed like Wilcox had authority to shop him and then Bud threw his weight around to stop that.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I thought Horford wanted out once we signed Howard ?

According to IT, it was at the AS break.  Horford definitely kept negotiating after Howard was signed.

• Moderators

Shouldn't the GM bring in players that fit with the coach's style and strengths?   I don't understand the conspiracy here that somehow we were bringing in players to "appease Bud".   Y'all make it seem like Bud is some kind of mob kingpin.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Shouldn't the GM bring in players that fit with the coach's style and strengths?   I don't understand the conspiracy here that somehow we were bringing in players to "appease Bud".   Y'all make it seem like Bud is some kind of mob kingpin.

I agree that Schlenk tried to give Bud the type pf players he wanted; which is what a good GM should do. I also think we dumped Howard because he did not fit Bud's scheme, our locker room, and our future as well as thought when Bud signed him. Dedmon and Belinelli were much better fits.

Ressler is the owner and can always intervene but I honestly do not think he ever did. Just Ressler saying hey I am the owner and at the end of the day that makes all moves on me. Bud did his wheeling and dealing with trading Teague, Korver, then signing Bazemore and Howard with Ressler's full blessings. Schlenk is doing the same thing now.

• Like 2

Revisionist history there.  Tony Ressler pushed for the Dwight Howard signing for marketing purposes, and when it proved to be not as marketable as he initially though, he allowed the team to get rid of him.

Bud was all set to keep Al Horford until Ressler threw the monkey wrench into the plans.

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Revisionist history there.  Tony Ressler pushed for the Dwight Howard signing for marketing purposes, and when it proved to be not as marketable as he initially though, he allowed the team to get rid of him.

Bud was all set to keep Al Horford until Ressler threw the monkey wrench into the plans.

Quotes and cites please. Otherwise it is you who are revising history. Ressler let Schlenk dump Dwight for peanuts; that shows me the total opposite of what you are saying.

The proof is in the pudding KB not in your drummed up rumor mill.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Folks think Resseler is just lying to cover for his employees screw ups but whatever

“I make the final decision,” he said.

“If you think Bud makes a final decision on everything that we do, you don’t understand the way the Atlanta Hawks are run. … The president of basketball operations is what I say it is, not what you say it is. (Budenholzer) has the loudest voice, not the final word. There’s a dramatic difference.”

So if you didn’t like the decision to sign Dwight Howard, blame Ressler. If you believed it was a mistake to hold onto Paul Millsap at the trade deadline at the risk of losing him for nothing in free agency, like Al Horford, blame Ressler. (He didn’t discount his front office might’ve been divided on the issue of trading Millsap, but maintains when it reached his desk, he responded, to use his acronym, “NFW.”)

On the Horford negotiations, Ressler reminded us that he was in his first year as owner. “I might’ve done some things differently. But at the end of the day, did we make the effort and offer a ton of money? There are so many ways to second-guess, but we tried.”

So he definitely nixed trading Sap.  It reached his desk and he said NFW.  Howard I don't know.   Reading the comment on Horford maybe he saying he might have intervened and said "offer him the max" but didn't.   That's pretty possible.  Either way you can see that back then he felt like he needed to be the guy in charge.   Glad he learned that's foolhardy. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Folks think Resseler is just lying to cover for his employees screw ups but whatever

So he definitely nixed trading Sap.  It reached his desk and he said NFW.  Howard I don't know.   Reading the comment on Horford maybe he saying he might have intervened and said "offer him the max" but didn't.   That's pretty possible.  Either way you can see that back then he felt like he needed to be the guy in charge.   Glad he learned that's foolhardy. 

No links with quotes. Is this a Squawkers inside information? Ressler will shoulder the blame since he is the owner who promoted Bud and then hired Schelnk.  But I don't see any quotes with cites that state he really like Dwight. I can find them all day long concerning the lovefest Bud and Dwight had. Right up until the first month of the 2016/17 season when we started off 7 and 2.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/atlanta-hawks/dwight-howard-mike-budenholzer-love-how-holds-accountable-every-single-day/d0SwCLHpPIhlcGddSaG2CL/

Bud is gone now and he is still not talking about it. Enough said already on "As the Bud turns"