• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Young, first round picks on Hawks roster

Gray Mule

Take a look at these 1st round picks on our roster,  If draft picks makes a team good, well . . . .

#5 - 2018 - Trae Young

#5 - 2013 - Alex Len

#19 -2017 - John Collins

#19 - 2018 -Kevin Hurter

#21 - 2016 - DeAndre` Brembry

#30 - 2018 - Omari Spillman

Seems that, right now, Hawks have enough young, first round picks to field a pretty decent NBA team.  Having a rookie coach and his staff of assistants, we really have no idea of how everything will turn out.  With the exception of Collins, we expect all these guys to come off the bench. 

All these young men are pretty good offensive players and we hope and expect Lloyd Pierce to teach them defense.  It's still a might over two months until this season begins.  October 16th. I believe.  Lots of things may happen before then.  Or, we may be all set right now.  We just don't know.

Speed kills!  Hawks are expected to play fast this season.  Question is, will our speed kill or will it kill us?  Learning a new offense and a new defense while teaching all these young Hawks to play NBA ball will be something, won't it!  Except for John Collins, who we know and know about, I have heard some bad things about all the others.  But, I have heard some good things, too!  Depends on who we are to believe. 

They can't.  Yes, they can.  No, they can't.  Yes, they can.

This is a "no win" argument because we can't know until we see them on the floor, under the direction of our rookie coach.  After 15 or 20 regular season games we will begin to see what we actually have. 

GO HAWKS !!!

• Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Gray Mule said:

Take a look at these 1st round picks on our roster,  If draft picks makes a team good, well . . . .

#5 - 2018 - Trae Young

#5 - 2013 - Alex Len

#19 -2017 - John Collins

#19 - 2018 -Kevin Hurter

#21 - 2016 - DeAndre` Brembry

#30 - 2018 - Omari Spillman

Seems that, right now, Hawks have enough young, first round picks to field a pretty decent NBA team.  Having a rookie coach and his staff of assistants, we really have no idea of how everything will turn out.  With the exception of Collins, we expect all these guys to come off the bench. 

All these young men are pretty good offensive players and we hope and expect Lloyd Pierce to teach them defense.  It's still a might over two months until this season begins.  October 16th. I believe.  Lots of things may happen before then.  Or, we may be all set right now.  We just don't know.

Speed kills!  Hawks are expected to play fast this season.  Question is, will our speed kill or will it kill us?  Learning a new offense and a new defense while teaching all these young Hawks to play NBA ball will be something, won't it!  Except for John Collins, who we know and know about, I have heard some bad things about all the others.  But, I have heard some good things, too!  Depends on who we are to believe. 

They can't.  Yes, they can.  No, they can't.  Yes, they can.

This is a "no win" argument because we can't know until we see them on the floor, under the direction of our rookie coach.  After 15 or 20 regular season games we will begin to see what we actually have. 

GO HAWKS !!!

I was going to say you missed a key 1st rounder #12 Taurean Prince but somebody beat me to it & Justin Anderson can be added for good measure. With most of our young core only having 3 or less yrs in the league and tons of talent/potential I agree this is definitely exciting. 2 of them Prince/Collins are already showing they belong and are getting better and if 3- 5 more rise to their expectations we could be the new unfair team in the East in 3yrs. If 5 of them reach high expectations not only will they dominate but it will also go down as the best draft picks in Hawks History. So far since Nique, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Jeff Teague and Dennis Schröder has been our best picks. I have been impressed so far by Prince, Bembry, Collins and even Dorsey has surprised me and hopefully all 3 of this yrs picks prove to be highly valued as well.  

On 8/9/2018 at 10:47 AM, Gray Mule said:

One more 1st round draft pick - - Lest we forget:

#5 - 1998 - Vince Carter

:biggrin:

I'm thinking he meant our young core.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:09 AM, Spud2nique said:

Also #12 Taurean in 2016 Gramps! Agreed!

Beat me to it

On 8/9/2018 at 11:17 AM, macdaddy said:

Plumlee #26

I wouldn't consider Plumlee part of our young core

On 8/9/2018 at 0:23 PM, West said:

If we're going to keep playing this game.. last one.. Justin Anderson #21

haha

Good one. If were talking about our personal draftees I wouldn't include him but if Alex Len made the cut so should Justin Anderson.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, bleachkit said:

The majority of NBA players are first round picks. Second round picks often don't even make the team. I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

I think his point is that we may be seeing the greatest young core in Hawks history and the fact that they all are so young we could be real good for a real long time If they reach their upside. Most of our picks in recent years don't really come with names that stand out. I had high hopes for DeMar Johnson but from him, Josh Childress, Salim Stoudamire, Acie Law, Sheldon Williams and a plethora of other young players that we've picked they either didn't pan out or reach their potential. Knowing where we've come from to where we are now having this deep of a young core with promising potential is something we have not seen before as Hawks fans.

It's a new day in the A!! I'll give Budcox credit for their drafting. I think when it's all said and done we got 2 of the best players out of that draft. Schlenk love him or hate him in his short run with us has been pretty good so far with his draft selections. I don't know who had Collins or Dorsey on the radar before drafting. I bet alot of people are paying attention now (more to the former than latter). Schlenk has also said on numerous occasions his job is to find the next Stef, Klay and Draymond. I didn't know he meant it literally but if they pan out who in NBA history can say they recreated a version of one of the greatest teams currently in 1 season. 

I think the point is we are witnessing the greatest potential history in the making for our franchise & it's something we should definitely get excited about!! When you know your history foresight comes easier.

• Like 3

Here's the thing.  How many of these young players will be with the Hawks when they are good again?

Justin Anderson - Unlikely

Alex Len - Maybe

Taurean Prince - Maybe

DeAndre Bembry - Unlikely

John Collins - Yes

Tyler Dorsey - No

Trae Young - Yes

Kevin Huerter - Yes

Omari Spellman - Maybe

Note:  Vince Carter IS one of our young Hawks!  He is young for a coach and we all should know, that, as he plays, he will be a coach on the floor.  I listened to his interview.  He came here because he could actually play for the Hawks.  He didn't want to go to a super team and be the last man on the bench.

What will he mean to our youngsters?  He and Jeremy will lead these lads into places that they now know nothing about.  Experience!  What a great thought.

I'm still optimistic with Atlanta playing .500 ball for the year.  If we don't, so what.  I expect some very exciting basketball this season.  Dream and their rookie coach keep winning and setting a great example for our beloved Hawks!

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Here's the thing.  How many of these young players will be with the Hawks when they are good again?

Justin Anderson - Unlikely

Alex Len - Maybe

Taurean Prince - Maybe

DeAndre Bembry - Unlikely

John Collins - Yes

Tyler Dorsey - No

Trae Young - Yes

Kevin Huerter - Yes

Omari Spellman - Maybe

I think your real question is how long will it take them/us to be good. From the list above I honestly don't think Schlenk's timeline to be good/great is as long as some of us think/believe. The way the team was constructed this yr gives us a potential chance to sneak in (or get close) even as soon as this year and should only be getting better after. Chemistry and learning curve will be the biggest factor this year. With all of our high IQ players if they get it early it might surprise us all.

I see alot of good not necessarily great yet potential from all the names mentioned above. What gets me excited about all of those players is not necessarily what they can do individually but collectively. I saw the same thing with the Warriors with Stef, Klay and Draymond. I didn't think any of those players were great by themselves but collectively they're a great unit and thru growth & chemistry can now definitely be considered as great players.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sillent said:

I think your real question is how long will it take them/us to be good. From the list above I honestly don't think Schlenk's timeline to be good/great is as long as some of us think/believe. The way the team was constructed this yr gives us a potential chance to sneak in (or get close) even as soon as this year and should only be getting better after. Chemistry and learning curve will be the biggest factor this year. With all of our high IQ players if they get it early it might surprise us all.

I see alot of good not necessarily great yet potential from all the names mentioned above. What gets me excited about all of those players is not necessarily what they can do individually but collectively. I saw the same thing with the Warriors with Stef, Klay and Draymond. I didn't think any of those players were great by themselves but collectively they're a great unit and thru growth & chemistry can now definitely be considered as great players.  

I don't see that at all.  There is absolutely a zero percent chance that this team sneaks into the playoffs this year.  Travis Schlenk isn't going to let it happen.  If they are playing above expectations, Dedmon, Baze, and Lin will be sold for peanuts.  

I'd also venture to guess that at least 3 of the players listed will not even be on the team after the 2018-2019 season.

32 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Note:  Vince Carter IS one of our young Hawks!  He is young for a coach and we all should know, that, as he plays, he will be a coach on the floor.  I listened to his interview.  He came here because he could actually play for the Hawks.  He didn't want to go to a super team and be the last man on the bench.

What will he mean to our youngsters?  He and Jeremy will lead these lads into places that they now know nothing about.  Experience!  What a great thought.

I'm still optimistic with Atlanta playing .500 ball for the year.  If we don't, so what.  I expect some very exciting basketball this season.  Dream and their rookie coach keep winning and setting a great example for our beloved Hawks!

I understand your sentiments. Everybody is old young to somebody. I'm sure Moses would say the same about you :biggrin:  Seriously though Vince is definitely going to be an even bigger aspect than expected because he wants to show not just tell. I thought just being on the team would be a big impact for our young core but him actually providing minutes changes our whole dynamics. We are young for the most part and it definitely looks like positions will be earned not just given. Who ever wants to get out there and play hard (especially on defense) will play. That's going to be exciting to watch.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I don't see that at all.  There is absolutely a zero percent chance that this team sneaks into the playoffs this year.  Travis Schlenk isn't going to let it happen.  If they are playing above expectations, Dedmon, Baze, and Lin will be sold for peanuts.  

I'd also venture to guess that at least 3 of the players listed will not even be on the team after the 2018-2019 season.

The job of a GM (atleast a good one) is to put a good/great product on the floor and keep the team in great position for the future. Schlenk has done a pretty good job this far I don't think he would sabotage his own work for something unknown. Unless there is just a guy that he has to have (which I think he may have already gotten) I don't see him caring too much about where we land. We have 2 other picks for one that have nothing to do with where we land. We have a plethora of good young prospects how many more shiny new toys do you think he thinks we need and can actually keep? 

Not only that but Schlenk is proving in his short time that he is pretty good at scouting/drafting diamonds in the rough. He doesn't need a lottery pick to do that as proven with Collins. He also isn't the type to listen to or follow consensus so if we end up being way better than expected why would he stop the flow? Blowing up a winning already young team would sound just like a prescription drug commercial. 

Risk of  deflating young players ego/chemistry. Risk of job/reputation if that move seriously backfires and the unknown rookies in this next draft aren't who their hyped up to be. Risk of young players getting good/great but choosing to go to a better ran organization. Risk of instead of moving forward fast possibly setting our team back decades just so 1 more unknown draft pick can be found at a position we like. Risk of not getting the player everyone wants (again Schlenk doesn't follow consensus). Risk of destroying history, legacy and other important stats. Risk of losing even more or new fan base $ for a team that really needs some recovery money for our revamped arena. Risk of being fined/ridiculed by the league for purposely tanking.

I'm sorry that's just a pill I can't take. Nothing about sabotaging a young team with plenty potential sounds like a move any decent let alone good GM will make. Understanding only 1 team can win it all each year and progress is key to success why would he abruptly stop progress? Believe me the risk will not be worth it by any means and the basketball gods would not be in favor.

I'm a fan of Dedmon but him and Lin only have a yr left on their contract so why waste time trading? Bazemore may actually be traded for peanuts but only to make room for our plethora of wings. It's funny how hard people hold on to the past. I bet I can find past post from most dogging Baze and now since he's one of the last known faces are scared to let him go. How many allstar games has Baze played in? We've traded or let go of Paul, Teague, Horford, Korver, Schröder and DeMarre Carroll. I don't think it would hurt us that bad at this point to let go of Baze. 

Schlenk may be a king of misdirecting comments. He says "We value Dwight" and 2 weeks later we trade him for peanuts even moving back in the draft to get rid of him. He said his job is "to draft the next Stef, Klay and Draymond". Young, Huerter and Spellman look real similar in those departments. He's recently stated he doesn't expect much from the team/players this year but his construction of the team says we have potential to surprise. Him downplaying may be his way of taking the pressure off of our new young coach and team. We could be very bad just from those dynamics alone & needing time for chemistry but if we are good why would he hang himself and sabotage his own moves?

• Like 1

KB21 believes these players can't - wont.  I believe that they can - will.

Truthfully, these young Hawks are likely to be somewhere between the two of us.  Both of us believe that this Hawk team will play some exciting ball.

Dream won their game today and the Braves just won their game.  Atlanta sports are looking good right now! 

I believe that our Hawks are high IQ players, athletic enough to use this IQ to win some games.  I know.  I expect a lot out of them and Lloyd Pierce.  He may not be the "dumb as a box of rocks" clutz.  We will see.

GO ATLANTA !!

8 minutes ago, sillent said:

I understand your sentiments. Everybody is old young to somebody. I'm sure Moses would say the same about you :biggrin:  Seriously though Vince is definitely going to be an even bigger aspect than expected because he wants to show not just tell. I thought just being on the team would be a big impact for our young core but him actually providing minutes changes our whole dynamics. We are young for the most part and it definitely looks like positions will be earned not just given. Who ever wants to get out there and play hard (especially on defense) will play. That's going to be exciting to watch.

The job of a GM (atleast a good one) is to put a good/great product on the floor and keep the team in great position for the future. Schlenk has done a pretty good job this far I don't think he would sabotage his own work for something unknown. Unless there is just a guy that he has to have (which I think he may have already gotten) I don't see him caring too much about where we land. We have 2 other picks for one that have nothing to do with where we land. We have a plethora of good young prospects how many more shiny new toys do you think he thinks we need and can actually keep? 

Not only that but Schlenk is proving in his short time that he is pretty good at scouting/drafting diamonds in the rough. He doesn't need a lottery pick to do that as proven with Collins. He also isn't the type to listen to or follow consensus so if we end up being way better than expected why would he stop the flow? Blowing up a winning already young team would sound just like a prescription drug commercial. 

Risk of  deflating young players ego/chemistry. Risk of job/reputation if that move seriously backfires and the unknown rookies in this next draft aren't who their hyped up to be. Risk of young players getting good/great but choosing to go to a better ran organization. Risk of instead of moving forward fast possibly setting our team back decades just so 1 more unknown draft pick can be found at a position we like. Risk of not getting the player everyone wants (again Schlenk doesn't follow consensus). Risk of destroying history, legacy and other important stats. Risk of losing even more or new fan base $ for a team that really needs some recovery money for our revamped arena. Risk of being fined/ridiculed by the league for purposely tanking.

I'm sorry that's just a pill I can't take. Nothing about sabotaging a young team with plenty potential sounds like a move any decent let alone good GM will make. Understanding only 1 team can win it all each year and progress is key to success why would he abruptly stop progress? Believe me the risk will not be worth it by any means and the basketball gods would not be in favor.

I'm a fan of Dedmon but him and Lin only have a yr left on their contract so why waste time trading? Bazemore may actually be traded for peanuts but only to make room for our plethora of wings. It's funny how hard people hold on to the past. I bet I can find past post from most dogging Baze and now since he's one of the last known faces are scared to let him go. How many allstar games has Baze played in? We've traded or let go of Paul, Teague, Horford, Korver, Schröder and DeMarre Carroll. I don't think it would hurt us that bad at this point to let go of Baze. 

Schlenk may be a king of misdirecting comments. He says "We value Dwight" and 2 weeks later we trade him for peanuts even moving back in the draft to get rid of him. He said his job is "to draft the next Stef, Klay and Draymond". Young, Huerter and Spellman look real similar in those departments. He's recently stated he doesn't expect much from the team/players this year but his construction of the team says we have potential to surprise. Him downplaying may be his way of taking the pressure off of our new young coach and team. We could be very bad just from those dynamics alone & needing time for chemistry but if we are good why would he hang himself and sabotage his own moves?

Travis sabotaged himself with his decision to tank from the very beginning.