• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

HOW BAD ARE THE HAWKS, REALLY?

Gray Mule

Doncic is all world!  He will, single handed, be leading Dallas to glory!

Trae Young will be out of the NBA soon, a complete flop and the draft pick they have coming will be a poor D league player.

ESPN.  Bah.  They had an Atlanta Dream playoff game scheduled.  Instead, they carried a one sided football game with the word that, as soon as we finish this, we will switch to the playoff game.  5 minutes left in the 1st half when they finally switched to their game they had on their schedule.  Bah to them!

Yep.  as usual, all teams EXCEPT Atlanta will be so much better and we get a "D-" grade from ESPN.  - :angry:

Woe is us.  We is terrible!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

BSPN Gramps! Horrible. They’ve hated us since the 80’s. 

Because they’re New England, and we’re CNN, TBS, and TNT. People aren’t retiring to Connecticut, they’re retiring down here. Envy is a helluva grudge, they’re in decline and we’re in the rise. Change breeds contempt ??

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/9/5/17818920/atlanta-hawks-offseason-grade-trae-young-luka-doncic-jeremy-lin-trades-nba-draft-kevin-huerter

Kevin Pelton of ESPN assessed the summer performance of every NBA team and, in short, he did not enjoy what Schlenk and company elected to do. Atlanta was given a “D-” grade and only the Charlotte Hornets (F) were graded as harshly.

The Hawks’ three biggest moves of the offseason involved point guards coming and going. When Luka Doncic slipped to Atlanta at the third pick, the Hawks opted to trade down two spots and take Oklahoma point guard Trae Young, picking up a future first-rounder from the Dallas Mavericks in the process. After an up (Las Vegas) and down (Salt Lake City) summer-league run from Young, Atlanta could regret passing on Doncic if he lives up to his statistical projections.

Atlanta used much of its cap space on adding Jeremy Lin, coming off a ruptured patella, as a veteran mentor to share time with Young. With a crowd at the point, the Hawks sent incumbent starter Dennis Schröder to the Oklahoma City Thunder as part of a deal taking back Carmelo Anthony’s contract. That trade could yield a first-round pick, but only if the Thunder make the playoffs in 2022.

At this point, it is clear that many pundits (both in Atlanta and elsewhere) did not view the Young-Doncic transaction in a positive light. Rather than litigate that swap again in this space, let’s assume that there are potential outcomes that trend positively and negatively, leaving room for all opinions.

Even though Pelton hated the trade. He actually likes our players. Had Trae ranked #3 and Kevin H. #15 on his board.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Even though Pelton hated the trade. He actually likes our players. Had Trae ranked #3 and Kevin H. #15 on his board.

But yet he gave the moves a D.  Sound like he is trying to land a job as an Atlanta beat writer.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/9/5/17818920/atlanta-hawks-offseason-grade-trae-young-luka-doncic-jeremy-lin-trades-nba-draft-kevin-huerter

Kevin Pelton of ESPN assessed the summer performance of every NBA team and, in short, he did not enjoy what Schlenk and company elected to do. Atlanta was given a “D-” grade and only the Charlotte Hornets (F) were graded as harshly.

The Hawks’ three biggest moves of the offseason involved point guards coming and going. When Luka Doncic slipped to Atlanta at the third pick, the Hawks opted to trade down two spots and take Oklahoma point guard Trae Young, picking up a future first-rounder from the Dallas Mavericks in the process. After an up (Las Vegas) and down (Salt Lake City) summer-league run from Young, Atlanta could regret passing on Doncic if he lives up to his statistical projections.

Atlanta used much of its cap space on adding Jeremy Lin, coming off a ruptured patella, as a veteran mentor to share time with Young. With a crowd at the point, the Hawks sent incumbent starter Dennis Schröder to the Oklahoma City Thunder as part of a deal taking back Carmelo Anthony’s contract. That trade could yield a first-round pick, but only if the Thunder make the playoffs in 2022.

At this point, it is clear that many pundits (both in Atlanta and elsewhere) did not view the Young-Doncic transaction in a positive light. Rather than litigate that swap again in this space, let’s assume that there are potential outcomes that trend positively and negatively, leaving room for all opinions.

That is totally on point.  Nicely written.

12 hours ago, hazer said:

Because they’re New England, and we’re CNN, TBS, and TNT. People aren’t retiring to Connecticut, they’re retiring down here. Envy is a helluva grudge, they’re in decline and we’re in the rise. Change breeds contempt ??

If you ran for office I’ve vote you in @hazer...I wouldn’t even think twice. You’re the guy for the job! Let’s get it!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Here's the thing.   Travis wanted Trae and the whole friggin world knew it.   It's BS that he was fine with either Luka or Trae.   So whether you agree that Trae is better or not doesn't matter.  The fact is that our GM got the first rounder he wanted and got another 1st round, potential lottery pick, next season for nothing.   That's pretty good work.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If you ran for office I’ve vote you in @hazer...I wouldn’t even think twice. You’re the guy for the job! Let’s get it!

Me too but I'd take it a step further.  I'd be his secret service agent in charge of pre-screening the *ahem* entertainment professionals.

Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Here's the thing.   Travis wanted Trae and the whole friggin world knew it.   It's BS that he was fine with either Luka or Trae.   So whether you agree that Trae is better or not doesn't matter.  The fact is that our GM got the first rounder he wanted and got another 1st round, potential lottery pick, next season for nothing.   That's pretty good work.  

You still have to get the right players.  In 1987, Seattle had their eyes set on a particular player but drafted a different one at #5 figuring they could trade down and pick up a pick in the process.  They did exactly that.  Good work, right?  When Olden Polynice (the player they wanted) didn't measure up to Scottie Pippen (the one they drafted with the intent of flipping), history didn't look kindly on that trade.  

I like the pick we netted better here and really hope Young will be a star but it isn't enough merely to "get your guy and a pick" if you targeted the wrong guy in the first place.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, AHF said:

You still have to get the right players.  In 1987, Seattle had their eyes set on a particular player but drafted a different one at #5 figuring they could trade down and pick up a pick in the process.  They did exactly that.  Good work, right?  When Olden Polynice didn't measure up to Scottie Pippen, history didn't look kindly on that trade.  

I like the pick we netted better here and really hope Young will be a star but it isn't enough merely to "get your guy and a pick" if you targeted the wrong guy in the first place.

All I'm saying is if you're judging the GM's performance you can't say he didn't do well.   Obviously if he picked the wrong guy then he'll be graded harshly down the line but that's giving a grade for a test that hasn't been taken yet.   Splitting hairs I know but to say the GM did a bad job because he picked a guy you don't really like doesn't make sense....at least to me.   Travis executed his plan perfectly.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

All I'm saying is if you're judging the GM's performance you can't say he didn't do well.   Obviously if he picked the wrong guy then he'll be graded harshly down the line but that's giving a grade for a test that hasn't been taken yet.   Splitting hairs I know but to say the GM did a bad job because he picked a guy you don't really like doesn't make sense....at least to me.   Travis executed his plan perfectly.   

The key isn't just executing his vision.  The most important part is having the right vision.  I don't give big credit to Seattle for landing Polynice and an asset because the vision was flawed -- they targeted the wrong guy.  The most important part about drafting is taking the right guy.

I do agree it is not time to grade the trade and we very well may win the trade at the end of the day -- I certainly am rooting for that to happen.

I just don't give Billy Knight kudos for executing on his vision of drafting 6'8'' players and avoiding using picks on small PGs.  He executed that perfectly but the vision was flawed from the outset so garbage in, garbage out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Me too but I'd take it a step further.  I'd be his secret service agent in charge of pre-screening the *ahem* entertainment professionals.

Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

? of course...

We will give you all the Filipino women...

For obvious reasons... ? ? ? 

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

This sounds right but AHF has been mad splitting hairs like they gold coins.. ?..ya so I ? we got ur boy Trae..who Schlenk wanted all along AND the Dallas pick top 5 protected. That’s a big play by any GM. Whether the player pans out, TBD.

But again I’ve said this many times...I haven’t seen many prospects to come out of the draft with Trae vision since I started watching the draft in the mid 80’s. There was Jason Kidd, Steve Nash (who didn’t even have that raw passing talent at Santa Clara till years later) and maybe a few more guys. Stockton obviously had it as well. Trae sees plays two or three seconds before they happen it seems. I’m excited and think that Trae is a cant miss superstar. Forget star, this kid is different. When I was introduced to his game a year and change ago I didn’t realize he had this crazy passing ability, I thought he relied on 30 footers but that’s not the case at all. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

This sounds right but AHF has been mad splitting hairs like they gold coins.. ?..ya so I ? we got ur boy Trae..who Schlenk wanted all along AND the Dallas pick top 5 protected. That’s a big play by any GM. Whether the player pans out, TBD.

But again I’ve said this many times...I haven’t seen many prospects to come out of the draft with Trae vision since I started watching the draft in the mid 80’s. There was Jason Kidd, Steve Nash (who didn’t even have that raw passing talent at Santa Clara till years later) and maybe a few more guys. Stockton obviously had it as well. Trae sees plays two or three seconds before they happen it seems. I’m excited and think that Trae is a cant miss superstar. Forget star, this kid is different. When I was introduced to his game a year and change ago I didn’t realize he had this crazy passing ability, I thought he relied on 30 footers but that’s not the case at all. 

There are ton of scenarios where this could be a terrible trade or a great one.  It depends entirely on how the picks work out.

Terrible scenario:  If Trae turns out to be Acie Law II (like Soth predicts) and we screw the pooch on the Dallas pick (say it turns out to be the 11th pick and junk or turns into the next Mario Hezonja).  Doncic then turns into a star. 

Great scenario #1:  Trae turns out to be better than Doncic.  Great no matter what happens with the pick.

Great scenario #2:  Trae busts but the pick turns out better than Doncic or we trade the pick for a guy better than Doncic. 

Lots of other permutations in the good or bad category.

Getting Polynice and two picks was hailed as a "big play" by the Seattle GM under the exact same rationale that people are lauding Schlenk on this.  "We got these picks and the exact player we wanted!"  Scottie Pippen's superiority to every other player in the trade made that trade straight garbage.

Whether the trade is a good one comes down to how good these guys turn out to be.

3 hours ago, AHF said:

There are ton of scenarios where this could be a terrible trade or a great one.  It depends entirely on how the picks work out.

Terrible scenario:  If Trae turns out to be Acie Law II (like Soth predicts) and we screw the pooch on the Dallas pick (say it turns out to be the 11th pick and junk or turns into the next Mario Hezonja).  Doncic then turns into a star. 

Great scenario #1:  Trae turns out to be better than Doncic.  Great no matter what happens with the pick.

Great scenario #2:  Trae busts but the pick turns out better than Doncic or we trade the pick for a guy better than Doncic. 

Lots of other permutations in the good or bad category.

Getting Polynice and two picks was hailed as a "big play" by the Seattle GM under the exact same rationale that people are lauding Schlenk on this.  "We got these picks and the exact player we wanted!"  Scottie Pippen's superiority to every other player in the trade made that trade straight garbage.

Whether the trade is a good one comes down to how good these guys turn out to be.

The one attribute your overlooking in Polynice’s game that Pippen lacked was pretending to be a cop... ? no, I feel ya on that. 

We basically get two cracks at it vs just going with Doncic. I was hoping Doncic turned out to be Drazen...now, selfishly, I’m hoping he doesn’t.

I still predict both will be studs. Hoping that Dallas pick next year in 6th and we land a star. Let’s go!