• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Vince Carter - Team Leader?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I wished that it was 2003 and we were getting Vince Carter.   But time demanded that we settle for a 2018 Carter.   The question is can he inspire?  Between him, Baze, and Lin we have the makings of vets who can teach our guys to be professionals.   What I want to see is guys who can teach our guys how to win.  Baze has the experience of having coach Bud in his first 2 years.  Bud Built team.  Not just players but players willing to do for each other.   Vince comes from the winning tradition of Carolina Basketball and has been to the highest hig of this league.   Lin is one of those glue guys.   He has work ethic. 

If our young guys listen (much more likely now that Dennis is gone) and grow with these vets, I think we will surprise some people. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

And this why you bring in guys like Vince and Lin... To be mentors.  Coaches only can do so much, but having a teammate to give you their experiences is priceless.  Just look at all the good that Julio is doing for Ridley for the Falcons right now.  I think Vince will do wonders for our wing players, namely Prince.

Sometimes, respecting your elders who have "Been there, done that" can be a decided leader.  You learn that, when they speak, you listen.  Vince Carter will not play major minutes, that's true.  But, when he's out there, if our youngsters are smart, they will watch and soak in what he's able to do.

He's also there to lead and guide our youngsters off the court, making men out of boys.  If they are not much better men at season's end it will be their fault because they didn't pay attention. 

Personally, I'm glad he's here.  Now, maybe our young lads won't get in trouble like Dennis did. 

:approved: 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2018 at 8:11 AM, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

And this why you bring in guys like Vince and Lin... To be mentors.  Coaches only can do so much, but having a teammate to give you their experiences is priceless.  Just look at all the good that Julio is doing for Ridley for the Falcons right now.  I think Vince will do wonders for our wing players, namely Prince.

I think of Terry Pendleton with the Braves.  TP was 31 when the braves signed him.   Old by baseball standards... but he and sorry Sid Bream brought something that the young guys could learn from. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2018 at 8:18 AM, AHF said:

Mentor?  Yes.

It is tough to be the team leader when you don’t even play half the game and the minutes you play aren’t that impactful.

Though but not impossible says Paul Pierce who spent his last few years being one of those leading voices for the Clipps  but impact was negligible on the floor. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I think of Terry Pendleton with the Braves.  TP was 31 when the braves signed him.   Old by baseball standards... but he and sorry Sid Bream brought something that the young guys could learn from. 

Wasn’t TP MVP during that time?

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Though but not impossible says Paul Pierce who spent his last few years being one of those leading voices for the Clipps  but impact was negligible on the floor. 

He was a fine mentor while CP was the team’s leader.

It was that four-minute stretch for Young that served as a reminder that even though he missed 10 shots in the first half, he has to keep attacking and putting up shots because that’s what Atlanta brought him to the city to do — shoot. Vince Carter told him during the game that he needs to play his game if the shots are falling or not.

“Shoot it,” Carter said on his advice to Young. “It got to the point where he was trying to aim it. He’s one of those guys, and we talked before, that wants to play as perfect of a basketball game as possible. He wants to play well. He wants to read something positive about him. Every kid wants that. There’s a lot of pressure that can be put on him because of what he’s done in college and where he’s been drafted. I told him that I’m not going to let him get frustrated. I’m going to be an outlet for him throughout the course of the game. I’m going to be as blunt and as honest as possible. He hesitated on a shot (Monday). Just six months ago, he would have let that fly if he was 1-of-11 or 11-of-11. The mentality doesn’t change. He’s a point guard that can score, and he can make plays for other people. Be the Trae Young that they drafted.”

• Like 1

Carter, who is playing in his 21st NBA season, agrees. Fans may look at Young’s first-half stats and see he was 1-for-11, but Young’s game went much deeper than the box score shooting stats. Staying engaged despite a poor shooting night is what Carter was most impressed with.

“He still found other guys and got us going,” Carter said. “At the end of the day, he’s 1-for-11, but that scoreboard means something to me. He’s the point guard, so he has to make plays for us. He was able to do that. This is one game of 87. We still have 86 games to where he wants his percentage to be.”

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

@Diesel maybe have called this one.

Interesting excerpt from.the article below:

New head coach Lloyd Pierce sees Bazemore as a leader – if not a vocal one, one who leads by example.

“Forget what’s gone on since he’s been here and what’s changed,” Pierce said. “He has been a consummate professional the entire time he’s been here for the Hawks, for the city of Atlanta. I applaud that. …

“He has bought in from Day 1. I told him I don’t need you to come in here and bark at guys or try to be all that. We’ve got one legend and that’s Vince (Carter). They all follow suit. … Everyone else chimes in with Vince and behind Vince. (Bazemore’s) job is to lead as he sees fit.”

• Like 1

Vince Carter had a different view of the reason why the Hawks crumbled on defense in the second quarter. The Hawks’ shots weren’t falling. On teams he has been on in the past, when shots don’t go in, players sometimes tend to forget they have to play defense and don’t get back after an empty offensive possession. At halftime, Carter took it upon himself to tell the locker room that it’s natural to feel defeated if the ball isn’t going in the basket. But players have to move on and not let it bleed into defense.

“We have to understand that regardless of if we’re playing lights out offensively or laying an egg, we can still defend,” Carter said. “Our effort has to be there. That’s something we can’t allow. This is a blessing in disguise because we felt like we played well in the preseason. Now we can watch film and see what went wrong. We can’t fool ourselves because the film doesn’t lie. I think it’s good for us to see the painful truth. I think it’s how we grow. It’s tough when you win by 20 or 30 to grow because all you look at are the positives and see us just hitting shots. Now we can grow. This is how we can get better. We’ll see all of our faults and see what was asked of us and what we didn’t do. This is good.”

• Like 4