• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bembry

Wurider05

• Moderators

He has a way to go to get close to Baze based on how they played last season but it is now or never time for Bembry so I really hope he shows out big this season.  The ceiling I thought he had when we drafted him would have been high enough to project him to overtake Baze.

• Premium Member

If he can display a level of consistent that he had in the 1st preseason game and stay off the training table, i think he'll be Baze's primary back up until Baze is traded :biggrin:. Then he'll get the starting gig after the deadline with Huerter backing him up. Those are my prognostications.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I think they compliment each other well on the floor together.  Bems is a plus playmaker, Baze is astute off the ball.  Both plus defenders.  Baze been on the block but Shlclenk ain’t attaching that 1st Rounder everyone wants.

Baze has increased his value so there is no attaching a pick to move him. Unless in Schlenk's bizzaro world he's just really looking to dump his salary for nothing - that would be such a misuse of an asset. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Unless in Schlenk's bizzaro world he's just really looking to dump his salary for nothing - that would be such a misuse of an asset. 

Schlenk is yet to attach a 1st round pick to trade anyone In fact has only done the opposite so I don't know why it is even mentioned as a possibility

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bembry (in limited minutes obviously) shot .367% from three last year. Which is better than every Baze season as a Hawk except one. Baze shot .394 last year, a difference of .027%.

I say all that to say, Baze isn’t THAT much better of a shooter that he needed to be included as a side jab.

The beautiful thing about Bembry that makes him more unique than Baze, is he is very savvy, so even if his jumper isn’t falling, and opponents are cutting off his drives, he still knows how to be impactful. 

On Monday a lot of his points in the paint came not just by driving with the basketball, but by moving without the ball to make himself open near the rim (BBall IQ), some in transition some in half court. He does more than just wait at the 3 point line for the ball to find him like many players these days. He creates opportunities for himself when no one is looking. He is usually in position for a dump off or an offensive rebound, but rarely is he just a spectator out there.

Baze is a career 36% 3 point shooter over 6 seasons.   Bembry made 11-30 attempts last season for a 36% mark.   So I'm not seeing where Bembry has shown he can shoot at all.   It's great if he can but making 11 3s, when up to that point you were known as a poor shooter, doesn't mean much. 

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Baze is a career 36% 3 point shooter over 6 seasons.   Bembry made 11-30 attempts last season for a 36% mark.   So I'm not seeing where Bembry has shown he can shoot at all.   It's great if he can but making 11 3s, when up to that point you were known as a poor shooter, doesn't mean much. 

Which is why I said small sample size, but I also think it’s a testament to playing within himself that he won’t force up bad shots either.

Baze has missed enough wide open shots that I’m not going to prop him up as a knockdown shooter. He is a streak shooter that was much more consistent last year.  

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I should also clarify that I’m not propping up Bembry as a knockdown shooter either, just that his game is more balanced and his shoot selection is savvy enough that his inconsistent shooting won’t hurt him to the same effect as it would many other players who don’t have his same ability to play off the ball, rebound and distribute for his teammates

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I like what Bembry brings.   I just don't think he'll find the floor if he can't knock down shots.   But maybe that's Bud ball and not Pierce ball.   

It is about this era as well.  It becomes harder and harder to play guys who can't knock down a jumper.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:57 PM, Wurider05 said:

I know it's early but after listening to Coach talk about Bembry and to see how he played............is it possible that he can make Bazemore expendable? 

? Smh why we cant build a team every time guys develop yall wanna trade the other valuable talent off?! How bout keep both! Yall did the same shit wit Teague and Schröder! Depth is important people!!!!

• Like 2

Bembry's shooting isn't as much of an issue if we have 4 other guys out there that can knock down shots. He just needs to stay healthy and play under control. But he did hit a very confident 3 in the first preseason game which was nice to see.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Schlenk is yet to attach a 1st round pick to trade anyone In fact has only done the opposite so I don't know why it is even mentioned as a possibility

Let's take a walk down draft day lane.

The first reported trade with Dallas was Bazemore and #3 for Matthews and #5. That's it, no pick to us.  This means to me that Schlenk was/is willing to dump the last year of Baze's contract.  High five to Dallas for saying no to that stupid trade, so we at least got the Dallas 1st.

• Premium Member

I get that Bembry shooting the 3 is important, but whaf he can bring besides just shooting the 3 i think will be important - the ability to get to the basket easily off the dribble and shoot or make a play, his ability to run the offense and his defense.

• Like 1