• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I'll say it first, Trae Young is as good a playmaker as CP3 was out of Wake Forest

NBASupes

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We agree that he'll be a HOFer.

Sounds like we disagree that he's one of the greatest to play the position.  My "Why?" was more so aimed at your "and he absolutely should be".

(Disclaimer: I don't think being one of the greatest to play the game is a prerequisite for admittance to the basketball HOF, as it's currently constituted.)

You still haven't said why he shouldn't make the HOF. 

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Because I don't think he's one of the greatest to play the game.  Just very good.  Not a HOFer.

Usually there's something supporting that opinion. Something he's lacking in comparison to the players you think do belong in the HOF. Maybe you're saying the HOF should only have like 15 players in it, in which case that's a different fantasy discussion entirely. 

Cp3 is a lock for HOF....shouldn’t really be a argument. 

Have you guys seen who’s made the hall of fame as of late ? Lol cp3 easily makes the list ! Don’t be foolish folks cause you hate his attitude which I understand but be real.

hof is more based on stats than anything else cause most stars don’t win championships. Cp3 got the stats and had has some mvp years based on stats

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

There’s been a few people around here that have been very high on Trae Young’s playmaking ability even before the combine. This ain’t news.

THANK YOU! @NBASupes see... here’s a man who knows a lil something about respect ✊ You can’t have something pop into ur head and think it’s a brand new invention. Having said that, I’ve relentlessly said that Trae is one of a handful of the best passers I’ve EVER seen. Will his skills outside of passing catch up to an elite nba level is yet to be determined but passing alone, he’s very very special.

I see a lot of isiah Zeke Thomas in him with a better passing ability but not as good in other areas. He’s also a very close clone to Nash which has been said to ?.

We have a baller on our hands who makes me not even wanna tank this year at times...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Because I don't think he's one of the greatest to play the game.  Just very good.  Not a HOFer.

You woke up hatin huh? ? I’ve done that.

I kind of see ur point but no way he’s left out. He’s a top 10 guard statistically but he probably wouldn’t be a top 10 pg of all time in my mind, but 25 probably.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is like Magic, Stockton, Price, Kidd and Nash never existed. That's the only way statements like this could be remotely true.

Yes sir! Old skool is the best school.

ps I went to the Jayz/Beyonce concert in San Diego last week. @kg01 we missed ya there I was basically sitting in Beyonce’s Lap and took like 100 ? pics but due to prior 9% muscle flexing pics being removed by squawk mods, they took away my ability to share pics with you all. I woulda loved to share some jigga with y’all.

• Moderators

Curious to see a more full list of the PGs whose careers people would put above Paul's.  I agree that he isn't the best ever but you don't have to go far down that list at all before you are having a real debate, IMO.  Like that short list with Price, Nash and Kidd - I would say Paul is right there with them and clearly better than Price.  And I loved me some Mark Price from his days at Ga Tech and through his NBA career.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Curious to see a more full list of the PGs whose careers people would put above Paul's.  I agree that he isn't the best ever but you don't have to go far down that list at all before you are having a real debate, IMO.  Like that short list with Price, Nash and Kidd - I would say Paul is right there with them and clearly better than Price.  And I loved me some Mark Price from his days at Ga Tech and through his NBA career.

Who would you take? Kevin Johnson or cp3?

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Who would you take? Kevin Johnson or cp3?

Paul for sure.  Paul is the significantly better defender, and puts up more assists per game with fewer turnovers per game.  As scorers, I'd say it is a wash (KJ better penetrator, Paul better perimeter shooter - results very similar).  Paul is also the significantly healthier of the two as you would get an additional 270 games started from Paul even if his career ended today when he is still going strong. 

Advanced metrics say it is a landslide to Paul but while I don't think the edge is as big as those say I do agree he has the clear edge in this comparison.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Price is the best pure point guard in the history of the game. CP3 will never be on his level. The only thing the slowed down Price was injuries and the pace of the game changing in the early 90's into the boring defensive crap the game became  for so long.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Price is the best pure point guard in the history of the game. CP3 will never be on his level. The only thing the slowed down Price was injuries and the pace of the game changing in the early 90's into the boring defensive crap the game became  for so long.

If by "pure point guard" you are using that term like I do and talking about how guys who run an offense first and score second (i.e., knocking out guys like Isiah Thomas, Oscar, Curry, Walt Frazier, Payton, etc.), I'd say he isn't close to best as he notably trails both Stockton and Magic by a very large distance for me.  His defensive liabilities also downgrade him for me when I start comparing him against other pure point guards (like Kidd and Cousy) as well as less "pure" point guards. 

Advanced stats don't think he belongs in the conversation.  Fans and coaches at the time also didn't think he belonged on the conversation (only 4 seasons in which he was an All-Star or made an All-NBA team).  Don't think he compares favorably to Steve Nash (another guy who is a pure point, IMO, who I forget to mention above) either.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If by "pure point guard" you are using that term like I do and talking about how guys who run an offense first and score second (i.e., knocking out guys like Isiah Thomas, Oscar, Curry, Walt Frazier, Payton, etc.), I'd say he isn't close to best as he notably trails both Stockton and Magic by a very large distance for me.  His defensive liabilities also downgrade him for me when I start comparing him against other pure point guards (like Kidd and Cousy) as well as less "pure" point guards. 

Advanced stats don't think he belongs in the conversation.  Fans and coaches at the time also didn't think he belonged on the conversation (only 4 seasons in which he was an All-Star or made an All-NBA team).  Don't think he compares favorably to Steve Nash (another guy who is a pure point, IMO, who I forget to mention above) either.

I stand by what I said. He had an unfortunate amount of injuries throughout his career especially in his prime. Advanced stats don't show pace slowing down in the early 90's and the game becoming ugly 80-78 type of games through most of his career. Comparing his numbers in that way to eras with more open offenses and better pace of play is unfair to him.

I watched him play at GT and in the pros. Never have I seen a better floor general, a better passer and a guy that knew when to make his own shot at the best time possible.

If Price was healthy and in this era he would be a god.

• Moderators

Agree to disagree on Price.  I'm a fan and don't want to go further in 'talking him down' relative to (IMO) the very best points in NBA history.  At the end of the day, 15.2 ppg on nice %s, 6.7 apg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 spg, and 2.5 topg along with subpar defense don't equal the GOAT point for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is like Magic, Stockton, Price, Kidd and Nash never existed. That's the only way statements like this could be remotely true.

I never seen them out of college outside of tapes with the exception of Kidd. Young is a better playmaker than Kidd out of college 

Nash is the best pure passer, as far as creativity, in my opinion. Stockton is the most steady and consistent. CP3 is probably the best defender and most explosive among the great all time point guards. He has tremendous hands. Curry is the best shooter, but he is more of a combo guard. Magic is the most accomplished, but at 6-7 he is not really a good comp for Trae.