• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Preseason Game #3: Hawks vs Thunder 10/07/18

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hate giving 'a review' from boxscores only but....it's preseason:

26 TOs, 18 assists. We seem to be trending in the opposite direction these past 2 games. More TOs than assists.

4/18 for 16 measly points in the 3rd quarter meaning we couldn't make a basket. Conversely, OKC scored 35 points meaning we couldn't stop a basket. Can't score and can't defend = big loss.

10 missed freethrows, they're free for a reason - take them.

12/18, 20/32, 22/32 = 54/82 in 3 games. 

That's 65.8 % ladies and gentlemen. Pre-season or not, That is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

That 3rd quarter line up was terrible so this is what you get when the other team realizes that Poythress can't shoot at all. Then you add Plumlee and you have no offense.

1 hour ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Zion will get ate at center dude is only 6’6 and has a lot of questions about his game

Eh. Maybe. He's built like a tank. Play Collins at C if we gotta. SO FAR I've been most impressed with Zion, it's obviously early though.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Eh. Maybe. He's built like a tank. Play Collins at C if we gotta. SO FAR I've been most impressed with Zion, it's obviously early though.

Just like with the pro's, gotta wait until the exhibitions and Blind Sisters of the Poor part of the college schedule is over before you start getting into meaningful competition.  He looks good against those blind orphans, though, and that is all you can do show in those matchups.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just like with the pro's, gotta wait until the exhibitions and Blind Sisters of the Poor part of the college schedule is over before you start getting into meaningful competition.  He looks good against those blind orphans, though, and that is all you can do show in those matchups.

Right. But even then, I just look at his physical tools and I'm like, damn, this kid is unreal. Not just leaping ability, but strength, speed, coordination. That shot doesn't look good but the rest is something else.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Right. But even then, I just look at his physical tools and I'm like, damn, this kid is unreal. Not just leaping ability, but strength, speed, coordination. That shot doesn't look good but the rest is something else.

He’ll go top 5 before RJ tho..the playmaking and scoring of RJ is hard to pass up he’s a 2/3 that can play the 1

Just now, Macknsweetjones said:

He’ll go top 5 before RJ tho..the playmaking and scoring of RJ is hard to pass up he’s a 2/3 that can play the 1

Meant not before RJ

• Premium Member

TULSA — In the moments the game turned, the latter half of the second quarter, the best point guard on the floor was Oklahoma City’s Dennis Schröder, who led the Thunder to a 32-point frame and a 58-51 edge over his former team

The OKC point guard got the best of the player who has since replaced him in Atlanta’s starting five: Norman North alum and former Sooner Trae Young. Still, it’s not like Young had an unproductive day.

Young, who last played in Tulsa at the 2016 Class 6A state tournament at Oral Roberts University’s Mabee Center, finished with 16 points, 2 assists, no rebounds and a steal.

He made 5 of 16 shots, including 2 of 5 from 3-point land and made 4 of 5 free throws.

Over three preseason games to date, Young has played 76 minutes, scored 42 points, made 14 of 39 shots and 4 of 16 3-point attempts, while making 10 of 11 free throws.

“I think it’s progressing in the right direction,” Young said. “Each game, getting better, learning different things.

“I think it’s getting better and the more you play, the more familiar you get with your teammates, the easier it gets.”

Schröder became expendable to the Hawks when Atlanta picked up Young in a draft night trade with Dallas.

Schröder finished with 20 points, six assists and seven rebounds.

It’s all still very new for Young.

“This is what I’ve worked for. I mean, we’re here to play and compete at the highest level against the best players in the world,” he said. “It was cool, but you know it’s definitely surreal sometimes.”

12 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Meant not before RJ

I'd like RJ too. Skill is there for RJ, seems a little passive to me though so far. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why is it news when a 7 year veteran point guard out does a 20 year old rookie in a preseason game?

giphy.gif

Dennis just completed year #5 but 7 sounds better so we'll go with that.

If that's the only thing you got from the article and not just the headline then..

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

giphy.gif

Dennis just completed year #5 but 7 sounds better so we'll go with that.

If that's the only thing you got from the article and not just the headline then..

giphy.gif

What should you have learned from an article about a preseason game?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What should you have learned from an article about a preseason game?

Our top paid player gets traded to clear playing time for our top pick and you think their first matchup isn't going to be covered by the press?

The article itself had a number of interesting quotes from Young as well (unless you aren't interested in Young's take on things).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hate giving 'a review' from boxscores only but....it's preseason:

26 TOs, 18 assists. We seem to be trending in the opposite direction these past 2 games. More TOs than assists.

4/18 for 16 measly points in the 3rd quarter meaning we couldn't make a basket. Conversely, OKC scored 35 points meaning we couldn't stop a basket. Can't score and can't defend = big loss.

10 missed freethrows, they're free for a reason - take them.

12/18, 20/32, 22/32 = 54/82 in 3 games. 

That's 65.8 % ladies and gentlemen. Pre-season or not, That is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Preseason is not about basketball but about concepts. Coaches experiment with lineups, sets.  Referees experiment with the new focus (this season is offensive fouls...there were tons in the game).  There is no "trending" in preseason games. Trae has been forcing not shooting 3's in the first half the last 2 games and they've been working hard on Bembry, Prince, Baze as playmakers on the floor. They are running sets you probably won't see in the regular season. They've let pretty much everyone shoot 3's so they can watch tape and see who should be relied on and who shouldn't.  

This is really evident in defensive sets where they play more 1v1 then they normally would, less trapping. Its all about coaches seeing what they have and players getting used to seeing each other's faces on the floor.  In these cases, experience players (like Paul George, Mike Conley) don't need this and their NBA experience, play making shows out hard. Effort and size/athleticism also shows up (hence why Len has done so well as has Spellman. Len size, Spellman effort). It is also why low IQ players look so bad...Poythress, Plumlee. They can't adjust to the plan.

• Like 3

It is very hard to learn anything from preseason games though as the referees trying to enforce the new point of emphasis usually runs counter to each coach's game plan.  There were offensive fouls every few plays on screen setting at one point in the game and the teams just couldn't even run their normal screen sets at the top of the key.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Preseason is not about basketball but about concepts. Coaches experiment with lineups, sets.  Referees experiment with the new focus (this season is offensive fouls...there were tons in the game).  There is no "trending" in preseason games. Trae has been forcing not shooting 3's in the first half the last 2 games and they've been working hard on Bembry, Prince, Baze as playmakers on the floor. They are running sets you probably won't see in the regular season. They've let pretty much everyone shoot 3's so they can watch tape and see who should be relied on and who shouldn't.  

This is really evident in defensive sets where they play more 1v1 then they normally would, less trapping. Its all about coaches seeing what they have and players getting used to seeing each other's faces on the floor.  In these cases, experience players (like Paul George, Mike Conley) don't need this and their NBA experience, play making shows out hard. Effort and size/athleticism also shows up (hence why Len has done so well as has Spellman. Len size, Spellman effort). It is also why low IQ players look so bad...Poythress, Plumlee. They can't adjust to the plan.

Agreed.  Coaches in preseason run things that are "unnatural" and designed to test different ideas and specific action.  It is not a good idea to translate that to the regular season.  Have to wait and see the real games.  Mostly interesting because we are all basketball starved.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, AHF said:

Our top paid player gets traded to clear playing time for our top pick and you think their first matchup isn't going to be covered by the press?

The article itself had a number of interesting quotes from Young as well (unless you aren't interested in Young's take on things).

He has made his take on things very clear long before this article.  It just amazes me how people over analyze a preseason game.  It is done in every sport.  A poster posed stats from the 3rd quarter yesterday with the front line was Len and Spellman and then Spellman and Plumlee after a couple of minutes when Len picked up another foul...Then Poythress and Plumlee together.  Incredibly people are judging the team's performance with those line up on the floor.  Just laughable!

vor 6 Stunden, JCDBaptist sagte:

The highlights showed him getting in the lane and finishing quite a few times.

How bad did he really look?

Dennis was taking us nowhere and Trae's ceiling and potential are nice and much higher than Dennis. Not to mention the #MeFirst revolution Dennis had going.

taking what anywhere? contending with dwight, a starting korver and an over the hill banged up millsap(love that guy for it).

and then the tanking year. taking what anywhere? you can see from these games not just trae being questionable, but it shows it wasnt dennis his fault that you have maybe 2 other players with nba starter talent on the roster. those two almost instantly did good with dennis.

im telling you. hawks did very bad recent years roster managing. each win whas a battle. and these recent moves just shows a continuation of bad management.

you could have had dennis, doncic, prince, collins and tank another year for number 5. doncic is far better, not only atm, but also as far as potential franchise player material goes. atm we have curry being a stud, but how many franchise players have been of his ilk?

doncic is the real deal. dennis is the real deal.