• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What are you most excited about for the new season.

thecampster

25 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Is there any benefit cap-wise to extending Prince? It makes sense to extend the other two considering they could bolt in free agency, but I think we can hold off on Prince until next year at least. I doubt he'll take a discount when he's continuing to increase his value.

Well, I'm no capologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn affiliated brand, Hotel Indigo last night in downtown Atlanta. So maybe I can speak on this.

You may be right that Prince won't sign an extension prior to increasing his value, but why not try.

The benefit cap wise is that we can possibly sign him for cheaper this year than next year nased on his increased value and the future valur of the dollar.

14 hours ago, thecampster said:

Question for the board, try to stay on topic. What one thing are you most excited about for the new season?

For me its Coach Pierce. I have been extremely impressed.  From the way he's handled draft workouts, summer league, preseason, interviews to what I've heard about his preparation from well before he got the job. Pierce has been so refreshing. The way he's got guys motivated is off the charts.

On Pierce, he says that as a part of his position as a defensive assistant, he studied the offense of every team in the league before they played that team. He took notes and specifically noted what he could use in the future from each team. What we are seeing from this Hawks team is his notes on the other 29 teams in the league. That is so forward thinking, so deep when you think about it.  He didn't model himself after Pop or Spoelstra or legends like Jackson. He believed there was something good in each coach, each system and tried to build from all.  I am very excited to see Coach Pierce as the season progresses.

Absolutely nothing excites me about this season.

25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Then you aren't watching man. There are things to get excited about...most of it is scouting our future potential, who will be here going forward.  There are story lines.  Its not all about the basketball you know. Part of being a fan of the Hawks is about being a fan of the individuals, their stories, their personalities. Pierce is an interesting guy. Collins, Trae, Len, Prince are all very likable guys.  Lin's redemption, Carter's last hurrah before he steps into coaching. There are story lines.  At least you can be interested in some of that.

41 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Then you aren't watching man. There are things to get excited about...most of it is scouting our future potential, who will be here going forward.  There are story lines.  Its not all about the basketball you know. Part of being a fan of the Hawks is about being a fan of the individuals, their stories, their personalities. Pierce is an interesting guy. Collins, Trae, Len, Prince are all very likable guys.  Lin's redemption, Carter's last hurrah before he steps into coaching. There are story lines.  At least you can be interested in some of that.

Oh.  I'm interested in the fact that this season will bring us one season closer to Travis Schlenk getting fired.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Most excited to watch our young guys develop.  Very happy with what we saw from Prince and Collins and can’t wait to add the rookies and young vets like Len, Dorsey and Bembry.  It is likely not all will pan out but I’m excited to watch as some develop quickly, others take a longer path, etc.

Seeing our youngsters develop is what this season is all about for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Most excited to watch our young guys develop.  Very happy with what we saw from Prince and Collins and can’t wait to add the rookies and young vets like Len, Dorsey and Bembry.  It is likely not all will pan out but I’m excited to watch as some develop quickly, others take a longer path, etc.

Seeing our youngsters develop is what this season is all about for me.

Exactly why I’ll be attending several games.

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Glad Bud is gone. Got drunk on power after he forced Danny Ferry out and signed some of the dumbest contracts ever. Good riddance.

I don't think Bud was the one who was drunk.  You enjoying rewriting history?

Bud didn't make Ferry open his mouth and let the stupid roll out.  As for Ferry being forced out, you seem to have forgotten about Mr. Gearon throwing the team under the bus to meet his own personal agenda.  I cannot imagine why the new owners allowed Gearon to remain as an owner.

41 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Bud didn't make Ferry open his mouth and let the stupid roll out.  As for Ferry being forced out, you seem to have forgotten about Mr. Gearon throwing the team under the bus to meet his own personal agenda.  I cannot imagine why the new owners allowed Gearon to remain as an owner.

Let’s let history be just that, and good riddance. The title of this thread speaks of excitement for the new ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Gearon should have his ownership stripped, I despise him. Not to beat a dead horse but if there are things  said on the court every night that are worse than anything Danny Ferry read off a scouting report. Nevertheless, Bud a horrible GM. He did draft Prince so l give him that.

I agree with most of the post here. I would have quoted way too many quotes and have already ran out of likes. From Pierce being better than expectations (for a new coach with a new/young team), Our entire roster (young core, vets and extra pieces). Our potential for now and knowing it should only get better in the future with all of our draft picks/cap space and etc.. Having so many players or up and coming stars that others(free agents) will want to play with, like Trae, Collins and Prince. All of our new facilities and arena. My odds in Vegas this year if we do the improbable's. Pretty much everything that has wet on this off season and the way our team was constructed. Schlenk, Pierce and the overall competency of our staff and ownership. The glimpses we got of our team during preseason and the fact that it might have opened some people's eyes to what our regular season will look like. Not all gloom and doom. Pretty much what everyone else has stated and Most importantly that the season is Right Around The Corner!!!

Let's Go Hawks!!!

I have to laugh at this idea that Pierce has already proven to be better than expected.  You can tell that much in meaningless preseason games?  Let's see how well he coaches this team when they face their first 10 game losing streak of the season, which will happen BTW.  

I just don't get excited about anything dealing with a season where the team will not win more than 20 games at best, except the fact that Travis Schlenk's seat should get hotter with each loss.

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Kudos... Didn't know zombies could post but I'm excited to know that as well! For the record after this season if you are still not a Schlenk fan and what he has done to and for this team you might want to consider finding another team. That hate will eat you alive if you keep watching something you despise. I'm sure we'll get enough bandwagon fans to replace you. Who knows, maybe you'll actually join the bandwagon. 

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Linsanity and Vinsanity. Warriors East... Young Team setting/breaking records. Prince and the Traevolution's. Fresh Prince and John The Baptist( Who kind of reminds me of Fresh Prince). The revival of Bembry, acceptance of Dorsey and possibly the real best out of Kent Bazemore. Our gunning inside/out,outside in bigs Dedmon/Len as well as Collins/Spellman. New Big 3's like Trae, Prince and Collins. Maybe the best 3 picked in a draft at once in Trae, Huerter, Spellman. Changed expectations around the league of our team overall. Other outside players being impressed by our facilities, coach, ownership and team overall. 

So many cinderella and fairy tale story lines to get into to where the media enjoys covering us. Anybody with a pulse has to be excited about something this year.

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Bud over consumed on the "Powerade" as well. Once he took the reigns his free agent moves and the direction of the team was kind of questionable. Even the 60 win team play fell off after the allstar break. Ball movement was replaced with alot of one on one plays when us and the Warriors looked like we were going to be the new kings of the East and West. Warriors actually stuck to the gameplan and became kings. We obviously took an alternative route ever since but now that we have been revamped I wouldn't have it no other way. We now look light years ahead of other teams if everyone pans out and reaches their potential. The baby Warriors with Trae (Curry), Huerter (Klay) and Spellman (Draymond) as well as ex factors like Prince, Collins, Bembry, Dorsey and to some extent you can add our 3point shooting 7 footers as well as our other vets Lin, Vince and Baze. We might not keep the latter 3 for the long haul but we still have a nice young core running atleast 8 deep. Truthfully 9, Justin Anderson is the forgotten man that I believe want be so forgotten when he is healthy.

Again only a zombie can get excited about this season. No matter where you think we will be placed there is something to keep everyone who loves basketball entertained.  

40 minutes ago, hazer said:

Let’s let history be just that, and good riddance. The title of this thread speaks of excitement for the new ??

I was just responding to a post from Bleachkit. 

As far as this season goes, I have been encouraged by the play in the last couple of games.  I am encouraged by Trae's improvement.  I am encouraged by Len's and Lin's play, and Prince's play.  I like Bazemore, although many on here do not. 

I was kind of put off by the practice sessions that were played during the games, in that I felt the coach was singling out Trae when there was more than enough room for criticism to go around.  To me it is crucial to not cause young players to lose confidence.  However, I am warming up to Pierce, and think he may well turn out to be a good coach.  

I think the team has potential to be a decent team, but my question will be whether Schlenk and/or ownership will allow them to win, or will there be more unexplained and unexpected "injuries" if they start winning?   I personally think that if we could extend some of the players we have (Len, Lin, Dedmon, Bazemore (horrors, I know, but if he will not re-sign for less, then I would be ok letting him move on), that we could continue to improve, without a protracted tanking plan for years to come.  Maybe we could do something for the team rather than throw away more and more money on people like Plumlee, Crawford, Anthony, et al.

I have been surprised that it seems to me we have actually played better without Collins.  I hope that will not be the case, but it doesn't seem to me that he contributes to winning all that much.  This is not to say that he cannot win, it just seems to me that we have played better without him recently.

11 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I was just responding to a post from Bleachkit. 

As far as this season goes, I have been encouraged by the play in the last couple of games.  I am encouraged by Trae's improvement.  I am encouraged by Len's and Lin's play, and Prince's play.  I like Bazemore, although many on here do not. 

I was kind of put off by the practice sessions that were played during the games, in that I felt the coach was singling out Trae when there was more than enough room for criticism to go around.  To me it is crucial to not cause young players to lose confidence.  However, I am warming up to Pierce, and think he may well turn out to be a good coach.  

I think the team has potential to be a decent team, but my question will be whether Schlenk and/or ownership will allow them to win, or will there be more unexplained and unexpected "injuries" if they start winning?   I personally think that if we could extend some of the players we have (Len, Lin, Dedmon, Bazemore (horrors, I know, but if he will not re-sign for less, then I would be ok letting him move on), that we could continue to improve, without a protracted tanking plan for years to come.  Maybe we could do something for the team rather than throw away more and more money on people like Plumlee, Crawford, Anthony, et al.

I have been surprised that it seems to me we have actually played better without Collins.  I hope that will not be the case, but it doesn't seem to me that he contributes to winning all that much.  This is not to say that he cannot win, it just seems to me that we have played better without him recently.

What do you mean there was enough critism to go around in a PRACTICE?  They were working on defense specifically and the coach was letting Trae know how he'd get eaten alive if he was using a specific technique.  It was a 3 minute cut up of practice.  You don't know what other players were called out.  He did it in a way that was not demeaning, but teaching.

The last comment is completely wrong.  John does PLENTY to contribute to winning. I believe he had the most win shares last season.  I believe the team will be MUCH better with JC at powerforward instead of a 40 year old Vince Carter.

Just my two cents.

• Premium Member

Not optimistic about wins, but intrigued... not excited, but intrigued... to see if we emerge from this season looking something like we did in 06-07, seeing Joe, Smoove, Marvin, Chilz and ZaZa develop. No, they never conquered the championship hill, but it made for great drama to see them add Horf and get to the playoffs the next year vs BOS, and put themselves in position to arguably be one player away.

So, yes, I'll be in year two of hibernating, but I'll jostle awake from time to time. Going to be more interesting this year than last, just because Prince and Collins had the 2017-18 that they did.