• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What are you most excited about for the new season.

thecampster

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

I don’t think for a second that he started working on his jumper for the first time when the season ended.  Bud has consistently worked with his bigs to develop their jump shots.  I’m sure that was going on all season.

The question was whether he developed last year not whether he worked on things last year and the numbers say no!  Why is this so difficult for you?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don’t think for a second that he started working on his jumper for the first time when the season ended.  Bud has consistently worked with his bigs to develop their jump shots.  I’m sure that was going on all season.

For his 3, he shot 2 the first 3 months of the season.  His 3pt attempts went up as the season progressed.  His role as a passer increased as the season went along as did his ability to limit his fouls on D.  All midseason development.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The question was whether he developed last year not whether he worked on things last year and the numbers say no!  Why is this so difficult for you?

I think time spent in practice and between games on development during the season counts.  You don’t for some reason.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think time spent in practice and between games on development during the season counts.  You don’t for some reason.

Are you using the word development to equal practice?  if so, all player practice.  I'm pretty sure Plumlee practices a lot but he sure ain't developing any basketball skills!  I use the term development as showing improvement.  Yeah, he may have taken more threes in April but he was worse as hitting them.  To me that's not development.  Did he become a noticeable better passer?  I couldn't tell.

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

So Plumlee is developing too then since goes to practice also and works on those free throws...Got it! :MooseGoggles:

Lmao

The Hawks had two months from end of season to SL and you think all development happened only then despite him shooting 36% on 3’s in Mar and Apr, significantly increasing his assist rate and lowering his foul rate?!?  ? 

He had the skills ready to go this summer because he was working on them all year.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Lmao

The Hawks had two months from end of season to SL and you think all development happened only then despite him shooting 36% on 3’s in Mar and Apr, significantly increasing his assist rate and lowering his foul rate?!?  ? 

He had the skills ready to go this summer because he was working on them all year.

He shot 38.5% from 3 in February and 31% from 3 in April.  His lowest foul rate was in January. That's not development,  That's regression

• Premium Member

Late in the season Collins flashed more moves off the dribble, including spinning to short fadeaway jumpers, and began taking more 3-pointers at coach Mike Budenholzer’s urging. After attempting only two 3-pointers over his first 31 games, Collins attempted 45 over his final 43. He made 15 of his 40 attempts (38 percent) in non-garbage time, according to CTG, including 12 of 34 tries from the corner. 

Collins showed defensive promise while playing about 40 percent of his 1,785 minutes at center, according to B-Ref. He used his lateral quickness to effectively guard ball-handlers on pick-and-rolls and, for the most part, alleviated concerns about his ability to protect the basket in the NBA because of his relatively short wingspan.

The future appears bright for Collins, who already has established himself as a legitimate rotation big in the NBA. As a rookie he was an efficient and productive low-usage offensive player, and provided defensive value with his shot blocking and versatility. Collins can elevate his game by improving his defensive awareness and CONTINUING to expand his offensive game so that he can remain efficient as he gets more opportunities.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/atlanta-hawks/hawks-player-season-review-john-collins/p8zVee1D87lPimSsRpBIlM

I'm sure there are tons of end of season reviews by other outlets of John Collins that indicates his improvements over the course of the season. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He shot 38.5% from 3 in February and 31% from 3 in April.  His lowest foul rate was in January. That's not development,  That's regression

This isn’t possible is it?  You are citing performance in the 5th month of the season as a proxy for where he started the season?!?!  What??

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

https://www.myajc.com/blog/atlanta-hawks/hawks-player-season-review-john-collins/p8zVee1D87lPimSsRpBIlM

I'm sure there are tons of end of season reviews by other outlets of John Collins that indicates his improvements over the course of the season. 

Yes he did all of that but the end result was he was much less efficient as a player than he was at the beginning of the season.  I don't call trying stuff you can't do well development. Sorry

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

This isn’t possible is it?  You are citing performance in the 5th month of the season as a proxy for where he started the season?!?!  What??

Isn't that the month he started taking more 3's??  He thought he had developed that shot but the number say no.

Just now, Sothron said:

So @Peoriabird have you officially entered wrestling heel status?

What does that even mean?

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

:blanky: sigh.

He took 4 3's in 11 games in February. 

He took 20 3's in 6 games in April.

Stats don't always tell the story.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Yes he did all of that but the end result was he was much less efficient as a player than he was at the beginning of the season.  I don't call trying stuff you can't do well development. Sorry

You have a different definition of development than the rest of us.  You think a pitcher working on a new pitch isn’t development when he isn’t using it in a game.  You think that same pitcher isn’t developing when he starts using it in games if it isn’t immediately an improvement on his more mature pitches.  Only when it becomes one of his best pitches in games do you say “so glad he finally decided to develop his skills; why wasn’t he developing over the last year?”

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So why is Pierce advocating him shooting 3s now?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:blanky: sigh.

He took 4 3's in 11 games in February. 

He took 20 3's in 6 games in April.

Stats don't always tell the story.

But they do here.  Add in March and that is months 5-7.  Contract that with where he started the season.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Isn't that the month he started taking more 3's??  He thought he had developed that shot but the number say no.

What does that even mean?

It is a wrestling term for the bad guy on a wrestling show. It seems like you have been playing a character, like a wrestling heel does, for the last couple months or so. I was wondering if this was intentional or not.