• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks -- The Season-Opener!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
Just now, Vol4ever said:

Im not celebrating :argh:, it makes me sick to lose to a crap Knick team and what this organiztion has allowed to happen to my team.  

I'm pretty sure Dallas fans feel exactly the way you do but they are probably handling it differently.

Just now, Vol4ever said:

Im not celebrating :argh:, it makes me sick to lose to a crap Knick team and what this organiztion has allowed to happen to my team.  

Yeah.  Think I was celebrating?  I went to bed with a headache and a 150/100 blood pressure because I absolutely hate to see my team play like this.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

Bud is a top 2 coach in the Eastern Conference and a top 5 coach in the NBA.  The Hawks were foolish to do anything that would make him want to walk out the door.

Agree.  Management will live to regret this one.  Im starting to think that maybe ressler is getting the building in good shape and low payroll to sell and make some money on the team.  I say that because Im not sure he cares about winning.   Cheap coach, GM, flexible contracts and cheap rooks and vets.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm pretty sure Dallas fans feel exactly the way you do but they are probably handling it differently.

In fact, I think that Dallas Fans feel worse because they are healthy.  They didn't play Phoenix with their front court back ups.

• Premium Member

I'm glad we finally have basketball back! Year two of a rebuild is usually a lot more entertaining because you can start to watch players who are a part of your future develop.

The second quarter was ugly but there were some small positives in the game. Trae had a nice little stretch of scoring in the second half and probably should have had at least 3 more assists if guys would hit wide open shots. Prince looked good. The offensive output he had at the end of last year might not be a fluke, his shot was smooth and he missed a couple of layups that he probably should have made. I was also impressed with Spellman in his limited minutes. Looking forward to getting Collins back out there and seeing what type of chemistry he and Trae have developed so far.

Game 1 in the books.

Pretty much what was expected. Young players will struggle and learn along the way as we saw Trae look shaky early on (not with the passing, well that one early turn) with his shot but make that comfortable deep 3 very calmly as he settled down.

Len came out with the 2 early buckets and I thought, another Lensanity but his play faded a bit.

Omari Spellman is gonna be a good one. Small sample size but he’s a guy that just gets it. Super smart and crafty.

We missed Collins a ton and Dedmon as well but that doesn’t excuse being responsible for your own man and guarding him.  I didn’t appreciate the defense on Timmy. If he’s hot for 3, get him off the 3, play him tight and let’s see how often he wants to drive it in the paint, my guess not very.

We are going to get better each and every game. We took our bumps, let’s LEARN from it and move to game 2 at the Grizz on Friday.

GO HAWKS!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

No.  The problem is that you think it will be just 2-3 years, and it is going to be far more painful than that.  2-3 years is a pie in the sky outlook.  It's so unlikely that it shouldn't even be considered.  

I mean, the Hawks have about a 1 out of 1024 chance of being playoff competitive in 2-3 years from the time they decided to tank.  

So if we're bad in 2020-21 then you can say you were right. Until then you're just hoping to be right. As messed up as that is.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Unfortunately it wasn't a young player struggling to guard THjr. It was one of our vets

That’s true but hopefully we can move him by February. Plus, again just one game and the entire defense played bad throughout. No sense of urgency to stop key Knick possessions. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm putting some of this on LP.  The offense doesn't looked fully fleshed out.   The plays we are running require good ball handling and good decisions on passing, both of which were absent most of the night.  I think we need some more wrinkles to get the ball in the hands of guys where they can score without having to create all the way from the 3 point line.   

Prince is deadly if you clear out some room in the lane for him.   I thought we should have exploited that more.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

His mission should be to stop turning the ball over!

I will say im somewhat surprised here because Prince has good handles for the most part, I think he will be ok, he was trying to should too much of the burden of when Trae wasn’t handling.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

That’s true but hopefully we can move him by February. Plus, again just one game and the entire defense played bad throughout. No sense of urgency to stop key Knick possessions. 

I think it was a combination of THjr being hot and us not taking care of the ball or the defensive glass.

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2nique said:

I will say im somewhat surprised here because Prince has good handles for the most part, I think he will be ok, he was trying to should too much of the burden of when Trae wasn’t handling.

He needs to stop trying to facilitate and focus on shooting.  Shooting is his strength not passing.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm putting some of this on LP.  The offense doesn't looked fully fleshed out.   The plays we are running require good ball handling and good decisions on passing, both of which were absent most of the night.  I think we need some more wrinkles to get the ball in the hands of guys where they can score without having to create all the way from the 3 point line.   

Prince is deadly if you clear out some room in the lane for him.   I thought we should have exploited that more.

Agreed. The game plan drawn up by Lloyd was simplistic but perhaps that was by design to allow the young guys to get their feet wet.

• Like 1