• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So you are complaining about an offense that produced 50% shooting from the field, 50% from 3, 27 assist while playing non shooters like Plumlee, Poythress, and Bembry?  Even Vince Carter can't shoot anymore.

You're getting sucked in Peo.

As bad as he makes the offense out to be (and it's still a work in progress) we are still putting up points.

The defense is the major problem - Putrid/Awful/Horrendous and any other description you can think of.  We have no rim protection without Collins or Ded, the perimeter defense non existent, slow rotations, late rotations, no individual defense, no team defense, no talking on defense. We can't get defensive rebounds (too small)  which leads to tons of foul call. Just bad all around. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I would say that offensively, Taurean has already surpassed 2014 DeMarre.   This was DeMarre in the historic Game 6 vs Washington in the 2015 playoffs.   He knocked down open 3s, ran the floor in transition, and was scrappy around the rim getting put back scores from offensive rebounds.

Last night, Taurean was showing a wider array of offense.  He knocked down his spot up 3s.  He made somewhat difficult midrange shots off the dribble.  And he was doing a little bit of playmaking.   I like the fact that Taurean was decisive with the ball, and not playing with it ( like Baze does ). 

As the season goes on, it will be interesting to see what Pierce does with this offense.   Does he still take the approach that we're going to play super fast and try to develop everyone ( which will lead to a ton of losses ).  Or will he adjust the offense to flow through Trae, Taurean, and hopefully when he comes back, John Collins, and focus solely on developing his top 3 guys?  The development should go toward maximizing the talents of those 3 players, and hope that their play helps to elevate the fringe players.

Prince is already better offensively.  Just miles behind on D right now.  Plenty for him to keep working on but his development from the end of his rookie year to the start of his third is significant.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

So far, the defense at SG - eeeech.

THjr couldn't be stopped. Garret Temple a less than 10ppg average player over the course of his career went nuts for 30 points :banghead:.

Who's gonna be the SG that goes for 30+ points?

Cavs up tomorrow - JR Smith or Jordan Clarkson - who you got?:blush:

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You're getting sucked in Peo.

As bad as he makes the offense out to be (and it's still a work in progress) we are still putting up points.

The defense is the major problem - Putrid/Awful/Horrendous and any other description you can think of.  We have no rim protection without Collins or Ded, the perimeter defense non existent, slow rotations, late rotations, no individual defense, no team defense, no talking on defense. We can't get defensive rebounds (too small)  which leads to tons of foul call. Just bad all around. 

That was my fear, even if we had Collins and Dedmon.   Both of those guys will help out with the rebounding, but they'll have little effect on our perimeter defense.   When Baze is our best perimeter defender, and he's getting torched by THj and Garrett Temple, that's a BIG problem.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

THjr couldn't be stopped. Garret Temple a less than 10ppg average player over the course of his career went nuts for 30 points :banghead:.

Our defense has to be the worst in the NBA, along with Sacramento. We just have no answers on defense, especially our perimeter defense. I hope that is something they consider when we make our draft picks summer of 2019.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That was my fear, even if we had Collins and Dedmon.   Both of those guys will help out with the rebounding, but they'll have little effect on our perimeter defense.   When Baze is our best perimeter defender, and he's getting torched by THj and Garrett Temple, that's a BIG problem.

I miss Kyle Korver ?

3 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I thought Pierce was hailed as a defensive coach.  

Sadly I dont think Pierce will be in the Captains chair very long. One more summer of talent to this team and it could be an attractive place to coach for some real coachs

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He'll learn by doing. 

Who else besides Trae is gonna do it? Unfortunately, it can't all fall to Trae especially if teams will be forcing him to give up the ball. I've seen enough plays where a player is late on a rotation, or didn't rotate at all, in the wrong spot to surmise that all of Prince's turnovers are not ALL his fault, some yes, just not all. 

He's more than a spot up shooter, he has shown a plethora of offensive tolls that needs refinement.

Lin looks awful.

Bembry has been a TO machine and can't shoot as well as Prince. So not him

You want headless chicken Baze doing it? No

Huerter looks like he can pass in the limited minutes, but he's not getting enough minutes.

Head down Dorsey? Nope

There aren't many other options.

As long as Prince continues his shooting efficiency, I'm ok with him working to improve and expand the rest of his offensive game - ball handling and running the offense. 

#DevelopmentalSeasonForTheYoungGuys

The area I'm most concerned about is his defense.

I agree with this. We aren’t winning the finals and we know it. Develop every aspect of our players that need to be sharpened. With Prince, let him handle and pass, it’s the only way he will improve if given IN GAME OPPORTUNITIES. 

I love it when Trae, Prince and Bembry are in at once. Imagine that mixed with a healthy Collins and Dedmon and we are competing nightly.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

36 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

SF-Cedi Osman

ewww ? 

We need a Cavs win here. I know it’s early but we need to get that pick. Damn I hate rooting against the Hawks in game 3... ? 

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

hqdefault.jpg

I got nothing against the guy. I kean I am not cheering for him to fail but he just seems more of a NCAA type coaching personality then an NBA one. Maybe he will prove me wrong

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

hqdefault.jpg

Oh yea ?

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Taurean Prince is doing very little that contributes to winning basketball at this time.  Trae Young is 2-3 years away from being able to contribute to winning basketball.  It's not his fault he's been forced into a starting, lead man role before he is ready or that Prince is currently playing a role that does not fit his talent.  

And I grasp it doesn’t happen overnight. Another reason I’m not a miserable curmudgeon about the current state of affairs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

And I grasp it doesn’t happen overnight. Another reason I’m not a miserable curmudgeon about the current state of affairs.

You obviously do think it happens overnight, and you are also obviously one that thinks the team can go through this and then just flip a switch a be good again.  I've seen your pie in the sky record projection for this team.  

Please.  Let's examine our biggest gripes and look for answers.

Kent Bazemore has not been playing a very good 2 guard.  What to do?  Is there any one to replace him?  My pick for that would be Kevin Huerter.  In his two very brief appearances, he hasn't looked that terrible and he needs the minutes.

Vince Carter should be coming off the bench, not starting at PF.  Do we have anyone better right now?  Nope.  But, when he comes off his injury and can play, you betcha!  John Collins, our starter.  Add Omari Spellman, back up center \ PF and we begin to look different.

Alex Len, starter at center.   Should be sub for Dewayne Dedmon, who is a better center.  Problem is, you can't play if you are out with an injury, regardless of who you have for head coach.

Our final headache.  I have no clue.  Just, please.  Really try to hit those free throws!!  Hawks score a lot of points, it's true.  But, we need all we can get !!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

Get well soon, all you Hawks on injury reserve....