Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

23 hours ago, kg01 said:

No.  Always pass on college, bully-ball 4's that relied on college refs whistles.

We could just sign Trevor Booker or Jarnell Stokes if you like that type of player and neither would cost us a 1st.

Scofield or Bone are better picks in round 2.

I'm not saying Grant is our man, but neither Stokes nor Booker have the skill set of Grant Williams. He is young and has high skill set and IQ. He seems to be one of those hard workers with a strong motor.

As far as his reliance on college refs whistles, he did get to the line frequently, but also was able to create on his own from some of the videos I am watching. I had no idea he was 2 years younger than Brandon Clarke. Makes me wonder a bit about Clarke now.

Honestly on my own personal board Culver to me is the 3rd best player in this draft and he’s been over RJ Barrett the whole time for me. 

So a few months ago before the lottery took place, I was thinking to myself how can we make Culver fit if we were to land a top pick in the lottery since of course we already have Huerter who has a lot of promise at the 2 ?...and around this same time the interview with coach LP comes out and he makes a statement regarding how he sees Huerter being able to play the 2 & 3 and that it wouldn’t matter (or something along those lines)

Anyways since these rumors have emerged that the hawks are interested in trading up for Culver (which could definitely be a smoke screen) it could also be very real and perhaps the plan is to get Huerter to gain necessary weight to move into the front court to play the 3!....then again it does seem silly when we can just draft a true 3 that’s almost guaranteed to be available at 8.

I do like Culver and think he’s the 3rd Best in this draft but I wish he or Huerter had true 3 size. Culver is apparently 6’6 in shoes (could still be growing ). I think it would work overtime with this unit  if we moved up to get culver but there would be an obvious weight (and maybe length) issue and that’s the only problem I see with adding Culver! Other than that he’s a great fit with this team in my opinion.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

😠

:blanky:

Oh look.  BSPN with a terrible sports-related take.

I. am. shocked.

Seriously that's a horrible mock.  Just terribad. 

1 hour ago, enrique said:

I'm not saying Grant is our man, but neither Stokes nor Booker have the skill set of Grant Williams. He is young and has high skill set and IQ. He seems to be one of those hard workers with a strong motor.

As far as his reliance on college refs whistles, he did get to the line frequently, but also was able to create on his own from some of the videos I am watching. I had no idea he was 2 years younger than Brandon Clarke. Makes me wonder a bit about Clarke now.

I would not have Grant on my board at all.  Not even round 3.  I'd rather re-sign Thomas Robinson for the max.

Agree on Clarke's age though.  Wonder about his ceiling.

• Like 1

I would love it if  the Hawks extended a Summer League Invite to Troy University's Jordan Vernado.  He us a undersized Power Forward, who can play both on the block & on the perimeter he shot 40% from 3 point line & 78% from the Strip. The guy is a baller he just happened to play in the Sun Belt Conference on a losing team.

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

I'm still on the Reddish bandwagon.  @NBASupes Do you think these rumors about Culver are a smoke screen? Do you have any info regarding these recent rumors?  Also, have you heard any word on Kevin Porter Jr. since his workout today?

Sorry I'm so thirsty for the intel..lol

No, I don't think it is smoke. I've always been told they like all four players (Culver, Cam, Hunter and Little) on the same tier. They see Cam and Culver as best fits. That's not new, this has been the sentiment for the last couple months. That's why they haven't been interested in moving off of 8 at all and likely why they are looking at moving up from 10. They been interested in both players more than others but they really like all four players. 

#10 has been the most shopped pick and the flexibility of what the Hawks want from team to team is why. They Hawks pick flexibility and capital is why teams are willing to work with the Hawks. I don't have any information about any trades up or down other than there is a lot of chatter around the pick. It's clearly being shopped. 

Not at this time, I usually have trouble getting individual player workout information from us. We tend not to announce our results unlike the Lakers and Celtics of the world. Kevin and Chris are usually there can help more for that. I can say we been talking with Reddish and his reps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, warcore said:

So is this bullshit or what?

It's not bullshit. He just doesn't have us on his list. His workouts he selected are 4-7. I don't think he sees us as a good fit. He sees himself as a large 1 with 2 size from others who teams spoken with and we have Trae and Kev. The others don't really have a true PG or comp at SG. He doesn't see the fit. Truth is, I don't either.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

They see Cam and Culver as best fits.

Can you elaborate on this at all in regard to Culver?  I know you don't see the fit (neither do I), but what do the Hawks see?  Or more specifically, how do the Hawks envision using Culver with Trae / Kevin in the back court?  

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's not bullshit. He just doesn't have us on his list. His workouts he selected are 4-7. I don't think he sees us as a good fit. He sees himself as a large 1 with 2 size from others who teams spoken with and we have Trae and Kev. The others don't really have a true PG or comp at SG. He doesn't see the fit. Truth is, I don't either.

I really believe if they were to get him Huerter is going to the 3 and there will be a plan to get weight on Huerter this summer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I really believe if they were to get him Huerter is going to the 3 and there will be a plan to get weight on Huerter this summer 

There is zero chance Kevin can play 3. Kevin is 6'7 with shoes and 198 pounds, even at 205, he is still smaller than Bazemore by 10 pounds and has 4 inches less on his wingspan than Bazemore and Bazemore is not even big enough to be a full time SF as he is 2 inches shorter and 13-15 pounds lighter and one inch less wingspan than Prince who is just barely big enough to be a 3. 

Both players are 2. In fact, like Klay, Kevin is a straight 2 and Culver is a combo guard 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Can you elaborate on this at all in regard to Culver?  I know you don't see the fit (neither do I), but what do the Hawks see?  Or more specifically, how do the Hawks envision using Culver with Trae / Kevin in the back court?  

They see him as a secondary ball handling player who is versatile and they believe he can develop into a shooter. Gives them more versatility and you can never have too many perimeter players who can PDS in the NBA. 

It's really that simple. They like PDS. I don't know how they plan on using the three together. I don't think they are at the stage where that matters. They just want the best talent for what we do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

There is zero chance Kevin can play 3. Kevin is 6'7 with shoes and 198 pounds, even at 205, he is still smaller than Bazemore by 10 pounds and has 4 inches less on his wingspan than Bazemore and Bazemore is not even big enough to be a full time SF as he is 2 inches shorter and 13-15 pounds lighter and one inch less wingspan than Prince who is just barely big enough to be a 3. 

Both players are 2. In fact, like Klay, Kevin is a straight 2 and Culver is a combo guard 

Alright then I don’t get it unless they no longer see Huerter as a starter. Cause I’m not for anymore small 3s.

i hate to say it and I’ve been trying to avoid the reality but if they really move up to grab Culver, Huerter must be not be in the plans as starter but only a backup ....maybe sixth man who knows!