• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

19 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Little seems to be all hype and show and look at me type of guy while Culver quietly kicks everyone’s butt!

College Basketball and the NBA are not the same arena. That's not to belittle Jarrett, its just facts. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

He was even further from being ready than Little. Mentality and physically, he was tabbed for the G League. That's not just my opinion. The organization stated it as well. 

Little is at least physically ready. 

You know who else was physically ready? My boy Stanley Johnson. Shut it @JayBirdHawk 😐 

Just now, NBASupes said:

College Basketball and the NBA are not the same arena. That's not to belittle Jarrett, its just facts. 

Oh I know bro. Believe me I’ve been a scout since 86. Bobby Hurley was an NCAA hero! Mateen Cleaves...Khalid El Amin.. I can go on n on.

Culver> Little ...in my most humblest

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He was even further from being ready than Little. Mentality and physically, he was tabbed for the G League. That's not just my opinion. The organization stated it as well. 

Little is at least physically ready. 

I am just scared by how bad he looked at UNC. But I do know how fit and role can really mess up a guys mojo. But I trust Schlenk, he's got the luxury to take a chance on high upside guy or two 

56 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He is MUCH closer to Pip than Culver. Culver is no where near as good as ya'll think he is. 

Culver looked very underwhelming vs the good teams I saw him play against.

Culver isn’t going to be a consistent scorer at the next level. 

Just now, Spud2nique said:

You know who else was physically ready? My boy Stanley Johnson. Shut it @JayBirdHawk 😐 

Stanley Johnson was a better player out of college than Nassir and it wasn't close. Nassir has superior phyiscal traits, he is far more explosive and he is just a much better athlete even if Stan was better at the same age. Nassir has much bigger hands and he is more fluid. He also has a much better shooting form.

The issue with Stan was he could defend 2-4 but couldn't play on the perimeter on offense and wasn't big or explosive enough in the post. Just didn't have the tools and his shot never came. 

• Moderators

Anybody being compared to Pippen better be an elite defender because while Pip could score and pass at a high level at his peak it is his defense that was his calling card before anything else.

12 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Culver looked very underwhelming vs the good teams I saw him play against.

Culver isn’t going to be a consistent scorer at the next level. 

Agreed, especially v NBA level players. His best game was v. Michigan to me. 

He is going to be a good player but it's unlikely he will be great. 

With Nas. Yes he might not be good in the NBA but he could be and there is a chance he can be great. 

The NBA isn't the NCAAs. His best quality to me is his creativity for others and himself but his isolation just won't translate and I have real fear with his jumper

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Anybody being compared to Pippen better be an elite defender because while Pip could score and pass at a high level at his peak it is his defense that was his calling card before anything else.

There is only two elite defenders in this class. Clarke and Hunter 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

This will be a fun back 'n forth over the years.  I see Little as a lump of unfinished clay being put in the oven before the potter had a chance to shape him.

I'm afraid that, despite his physical tools, the league will expect too much from him too soon and he's in serious danger of being a guy who'll never reach his potential.

I think Culver will always trend to being a better player although Little will always be the better athlete.

Plus I cannot resist the chance to change the neighborhood from the cul-de-sac to the Cul-ver-sac - eh, I'm working on that name.

And who does that sound like?

Image result for marvin williams unc

Little could be a 10 year pro, like the player above.  But will he be no more than a solid starter/6th man in the NBA?

• Moderators
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Little could be a 10 year pro, like the player above.  But will he be no more than a solid starter/6th man in the NBA?

I don't have much to offer on Little as I haven't watched him enough but Marvin's biggest issue was he had no fire.  Had he wanted it, he could have been a plus starter but he didn't so he was just a fine 4th-7th man in your rotation.  That actually isn't a bad outcome for a late lottery pick but is tough to swallow for an early one.

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Stanley Johnson was a better player out of college than Nassir and it wasn't close. Nassir has superior phyiscal traits, he is far more explosive and he is just a much better athlete even if Stan was better at the same age. Nassir has much bigger hands and he is more fluid. He also has a much better shooting form.

The issue with Stan was he could defend 2-4 but couldn't play on the perimeter on offense and wasn't big or explosive enough in the post. Just didn't have the tools and his shot never came. 

You just gave the exact same scouting report for Little. Can’t play perimeter offense. He may hit a few jumpers in the gym by himself but he isn’t our guy.

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree and same goes for Supes comparing Clarke to Rodman. Look I’m one of the biggest Clarke guys around but Rodman was rare. Really really really rare.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't have much to offer on Little as I haven't watched him enough but Marvin's biggest issue was he had no fire.  Had he wanted it, he could have been a plus starter but he didn't so he was just a fine 4th-7th man in your rotation.  That actually isn't a bad outcome for a late lottery pick but is tough to swallow for an early one.

Marvin was a much better prospect than most of these guys, Reddish, Culver, Clarke, etc. Marvin issue was he came to soon. He is a modern 4 but he came before the modern 4 existed. 

Little is a very talented player who has plus plus size and tools but has a low feel for the game and BBIQ while having great IQ, work ethic and motor. College Basketball, feel and BBIQ means so much especially in UNC system. He will be a much better pro than college player but he has a number of flaws that might prevent him from superstardom. He is not a system player either like Reddish so system won't boost his upside

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You just gave the exact same scouting report for Little. Can’t play perimeter offense. He may hit a few jumpers in the gym by himself but he isn’t our guy.

But he can is the difference. His first step is elite for his size. His hand size is massive. Ball handling is an issue but its always an issue for guys like him from college. 

He shot 77% from FT with a soft touch and a good FTA. He has the tools even if the polish at there. 

Stan never had the tools. He played bully ball which worked in college but he isn't explosive enough in the NBA. He is limited physically 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Marvin was a much better prospect than most of these guys, Reddish, Culver, Clarke, etc. Marvin issue was he came to soon. He is a modern 4 but he came before the modern 4 existed. 

Little is a very talented player who has plus plus size and tools but has a low feel for the game and BBIQ while having great IQ, work ethic and motor. College Basketball, feel and BBIQ means so much especially in UNC system. He will be a much better pro than college player but he has a number of flaws that might prevent him from superstardom. He is not a system player either like Reddish so system won't boost his upside

Wait what? You said he has a low feel bbiq for the game while having a great iq?

bbiq (basketball IQ)

IQ (IQ)

.. 😐 

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agree and same goes for Supes comparing Clarke to Rodman. Look I’m one of the biggest Clarke guys around but Rodman was rare. Really really really rare.

Clarke can be one of the best defenders we seen play the game. Rodman is a possible mark for Clarke on defense. Maybe even better considering the modern NBA and how important defending in space is today

14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wait what? You said he has a low feel bbiq for the game while having a great iq?

bbiq (basketball IQ)

IQ (IQ)

.. 😐 

The basketball version of Josh Dobbs of Tennessee?

* Mediocre QB at best, with above average athleticism, and questionable decision making out on the field

* Mechanical, Biometirc, and Aerospace Engineering major with a 4.0 in college

Image result for josh dobbs major

( Go Vols )

• Admin
38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Being a UNC fan I watched a lot of their games.  Little was stuck behind Cam Johnson which cost him some minutes and stats.  That being said he doesn’t really know how to play yet.  He has a lot to learn.  He is an amazing Athlete and can jump out of the gym.   He is a good rebounder and decent defender but he has no jump shot.  Most of his points were from dunks or put backs.  His handle isn’t very good and isn’t much of a passer.  I see the most comparable player to him to be Michael Kidd-Gilcrest.  

I was very excited when he signed with UNC but he was a disappointment.  Often times they played better when he was off the floor.  He is the epitome of potential.  You don’t know what u are going to get.  Personally I hope he pans out but I don’t want us to take a chance on him (unless it’s at 17).

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

9Marvin was a much better prospect than most of these guys, Reddish, Culver, Clarke, etc. Marvin issue was he came to soon. He is a modern 4 but he came before the modern 4 existed. 

I'll grant you that he would have had an easier transition coming a few years later but that wasn't his big issue.  It was desire.  

Bear in mind, he is still only 32 today so his prime came when the transition was already happening.  Moreover, he shot around 60% of his attempts from 10+ and came into the league 7 years after Dirk (78% from 10+), 2 years after Bosh (~55% for his career), 2 years before Love (67% from 10+), etc. and these guys had no problem making All-NBA and All-Star rosters.  Marvin will never amount to more than a role player because he has always been content to just fit in and has never been driven to excel.  That would be the same today as it was when he came into the league.  He would only be a marginally more valuable player if he was 28 today instead of 32.  Maybe call him a 14.7 PER instead of a 13.7 PER if you want to be generous.

8 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Being a UNC fan I watched a lot of their games.  Little was stuck behind Cam Johnson which cost him some minutes and stats.  That being said he doesn’t really know how to play yet.  He has a lot to learn.  He is an amazing Athlete and can jump out of the gym.   He is a good rebounder and decent defender but he has no jump shot.  Most of his points were from dunks or put backs.  His handle isn’t very good and isn’t much of a passer.  I see the most comparable player to him to be Michael Kidd-Gilcrest.  

I was very excited when he signed with UNC but he was a disappointment.  Often times they played better when he was off the floor.  He is the epitome of potential.  You don’t know what u are going to get.  Personally I hope he pans out but I don’t want us to take a chance on him (unless it’s at 17).

That’s the thing with me. I hate “amazing athletes” if that’s the first thing used to describe them. For me, it’s all about certain skills that they can bring to the table. Like with Trae, it’s passing. Huerter is a high bbiq shooter. 

I guess we have to wait. Obviously if he joins the Hawks I’m a fan but I’m weary of using a top 17 pick on him.