• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" but doesn't it seem like we get all hyped up for the draft and then walk away disappointed that the Hawks did not pick our guy(s) when they could have.  The 2nd round picks last year were thrown away like yesterday's news.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Pace

Rim running

Elite Agility

Elite Athleticism 

Shooting touch

Two way potential 

High motor 

Excellent lateral quickness 

His low defensive awareness and high fouling rate make me caution drafting him. He is a project big that I don't even see playing this year. His athleticism/size ratio and hands are impressive though. I rather have Brandon Clarke, as I trust him developing a corner 3 more than I trust Hayes developing any sort of jumper. And this is important because Collins needs to the primary PnR threat, leaving the other frontcourt spot out in the perimeter, for the spacing that Trae needs to work and this offense needs to succeed.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, GameTime said:

His low defensive awareness and high fouling rate make me caution drafting him. He is a project big that I don't even see playing this year. His athleticism/size ratio and hands are impressive though. I rather have Brandon Clarke, as I trust him developing a corner 3 more than I trust Hayes developing any sort of jumper. And this is important because Collins needs to the primary PnR threat, leaving the other frontcourt spot out in the perimeter, for the spacing that Trae needs to work and this offense needs to succeed.

It took The Greek Freak 4 years to develop.  Can you find it in you to give this guy at least 1

• Like 1

3. What will the Hawks do with all of their picks?

Atlanta might be the most interesting team to watch on draft night. The Hawks hold picks Nos. 8, 10, 17, 35 and 41 (Atlanta's No. 44 pick was traded to the Miami Heat on Wednesday).

They certainly don't need to add five rookies to their roster. After general manager Travis Schlenk's successful draft a year ago, when the Hawks traded back for Young (No. 5) and hit on Kevin Huerter (No. 19), Atlanta feels confident it can find more contributors this time around.

Maybe they strike the right deal to move up for Garland or one of the wing players. They could trade back into future drafts, delaying all these young additions to the roster. There's also the possibility that Atlanta could package its picks for an established talent to augment its young core of Young, Huerter and big man John Collins -- though, like with New Orleans, finding the right fit there is challenging.

Last year's trade that saw Atlanta pass up on Luka Doncic to select Young and add a future first-round pick (now this year's No. 10 pick) was proof Schlenk has no problem making an against-the-grain transaction. It also serves as a reminder that the Hawks will be aggressive in making their best moves on draft night, regardless of outside perception.

Aka Schlenk is a pimp.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GameTime said:

He is a project but I see the fit especially with Collins strengths and weaknesses, Hayes being a good partner. 

Update: 

He called me late as heck. Told me he might not call tomorrow depending on his schedule. 

I asked what's the real deal the day before. 

He said there is more talk than ever on players with multiple years on contracts and picks. Said that New Orleans is being extremely active trying to move up and down the board. Said, the Hawks control the draft but they control the top half.

I do want to confirm, they want DeAndre Hunter but they want to move back from #4 to get him with hopes of enticing the Bulls. 

He said the Bulls have interest in moving up only if the terms are reasonable. Lottery protected pick with 2nd round rollover which didn't sit well with NO. 

He said NO wants to trade but not fall out of the top 8 and he doesn't see an avenue since no want to offer what they consider a great value. 

Atlanta's 10/17 is out there for the taking he said like it's been out there. Said, no one will bite and doesn't think anyone will. 

Says it will take a Luka like return to get them to move #4. Protected top #5 pick 2020. Their plans is to be ready when a Giannis or Beal becomes available via trade. 

Said they are targeting Beal if he doesn't sign the EXT from Washington which by all reports, they will. 

They even offered a deal to MEM to move up, also declined. 

Wanted ATL to give 8/17, also declined. 

Have been very aggressive during trade talks. 

Says Cleveland is split on #5. Coach wants Hunter. Mentioned the team wants to give the coach what he needs so Hunter will be the pick, otherwise, it's Culver who the team also likes. Mention, Garland is in the mix. 

Says PHX is locked into Coby White. 

Says CHI #1 option is Garland and #2 is Culver.  White is #3. They are split on four prospects: Hunter/Reddish/Little/Sekou. They do not want to end up without a guard option. They really really want Garland and there is some belief that he will fall to #7. 

Says Hawks have one goal for the top 8. Land two 1sts in this range. It's unlikely at this point and they are likely to keep their 1sts at this stage. 

Didn't speak on WAS

Said #10 is still shopped but they could keep the pick. 

Says MIN has real interest in #4 and the cost is very real for this draft. Very real. Says Goga will be the pick at #11 if it's NO. 

Said nothing on CHA/MIA and BOS. 

Said DET was looking for more picks and found a suitor. 

Said ORL is looking to add more picks as well. 

Said IND is looking at all options. They are targeting Rubio and D. Russell and remember, Russell is from Louisville, KY which is close to Indy. The interest is real. Moving down is an option.

OKC is still shopping pick to move down or to get out of Dennis or Adams contract. Said suitors are low but their is interest in Roberson. Likely still the Hawks. 

Spurs are looking to move up in the lottery. Targeting Keldon Johnson if they stay at 19. 

Philly is shopping 33/34 for a 1st

Atlanta is shopping 35/41 and mid tier cap space for a 1st. 

Said trades are expensive and he would not be surprised by the lack of trades in the draft and said, you might see some depending on who's available and at what spot. 

Doesn't expect fireworks this year. Salary and contracts are the theme of this draft. Teams want to clear cash or get 2nd rounders for salary reasons and don't see enough quality to look otherwise. 

I doubt I'll hear from him tomorrow but we will see and even then, it will be short. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Update: 

He called me late as heck. Told me he might not call tomorrow depending on his schedule. 

I asked what's the real deal the day before. 

He said there is more talk than ever on players with multiple years on contracts and picks. Said that New Orleans is being extremely active trying to move up and down the board. Said, the Hawks control the draft but they control the top half.

I do want to confirm, they want DeAndre Hunter but they want to move back from #4 to get him with hopes of enticing the Bulls. 

He said the Bulls have interest in moving up only if the terms are reasonable. Lottery protected pick with 2nd round rollover which didn't sit well with NO. 

He said NO wants to trade but not fall out of the top 8 and he doesn't see an avenue since no want to offer what they consider a great value. 

Atlanta's 10/17 is out there for the taking he said like it's been out there. Said, no one will bite and doesn't think anyone will. 

Says it will take a Luka like return to get them to move #4. Protected top #5 pick 2020. Their plans is to be ready when a Giannis or Beal becomes available via trade. 

Said they are targeting Beal if he doesn't sign the EXT from Washington which by all reports, they will. 

They even offered a deal to MEM to move up, also declined. 

Wanted ATL to give 8/17, also declined. 

Have been very aggressive during trade talks. 

Says Cleveland is split on #5. Coach wants Hunter. Mentioned the team wants to give the coach what he needs so Hunter will be the pick, otherwise, it's Culver who the team also likes. Mention, Garland is in the mix. 

Says PHX is locked into Coby White. 

Says CHI #1 option is Garland and #2 is Culver.  White is #3. They are split on four prospects: Hunter/Reddish/Little/Sekou. They do not want to end up without a guard option. They really really want Garland and there is some belief that he will fall to #7. 

Says Hawks have one goal for the top 8. Land two 1sts in this range. It's unlikely at this point and they are likely to keep their 1sts at this stage. 

Didn't speak on WAS

Said #10 is still shopped but they could keep the pick. 

Says MIN has real interest in #4 and the cost is very real for this draft. Very real. Says Goga will be the pick at #11 if it's NO. 

Said nothing on CHA/MIA and BOS. 

Said DET was looking for more picks and found a suitor. 

Said ORL is looking to add more picks as well. 

Said IND is looking at all options. They are targeting Rubio and D. Russell and remember, Russell is from Louisville, KY which is close to Indy. The interest is real. Moving down is an option.

OKC is still shopping pick to move down or to get out of Dennis or Adams contract. Said suitors are low but their is interest in Roberson. Likely still the Hawks. 

Spurs are looking to move up in the lottery. Targeting Keldon Johnson if they stay at 19. 

Philly is shopping 33/34 for a 1st

Atlanta is shopping 35/41 and mid tier cap space for a 1st. 

Said trades are expensive and he would not be surprised by the lack of trades in the draft and said, you might see some depending on who's available and at what spot. 

Doesn't expect fireworks this year. Salary and contracts are the theme of this draft. Teams want to clear cash or get 2nd rounders for salary reasons and don't see enough quality to look otherwise. 

I doubt I'll hear from him tomorrow but we will see and even then, it will be short. 

So, looks we are drafting Reddish then? I have no clue who we take at 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So, looks we are drafting Reddish then? I have no clue who we take at 10.

I’m a little surprised the trade up was for Hunter and based on this update it sounds like culver may drop in this draft which I didn’t expect 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I’m a little surprised the trade up was for Hunter and based on this update it sounds like culver may drop in this draft which I didn’t expect 

Sorry supes read it wrong ! So NO wants hunter at 4.

I can’t get a read on Hunter. I want him but then I don’t want him. He reminds me of Ron Artest which is great but sometimes he looks floppy and average. I just love his D. If we get a defender like Clarke, Hunter or Thybulle I’m pretty happy though because they immediate get into Lloyd’s school of D. 😊 

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well , I don't think the Hawks trade up. Value isn't there.

I think I read it wrong twice . Either supes is saying hunter is who the pelicans want or hawks . I’d think Brandon Ingram would be the starting 3 for them now so not sure why they’d take hunter over culver who can replace Holiday.

if it’s the hawks who wanted hunter....yeah I’m surprised that was the trade up

If I’m Schlenk I make a play to get #4 while keeping #8, adding two productive studs we can groom 🤵🏽 together and then not worry about drafting in the top 20 for the next 10 years. Strike it big in this draft which I still think is about 10-15 deep.

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think I read it wrong twice . Either supes is saying hunter is who the pelicans want or hawks . I’d think Brandon Ingram would be the starting 3 for them now so not sure why they’d take hunter over culver who can replace Holiday.

if it’s the hawks who wanted hunter....yeah I’m surprised that was the trade up

Yes a tad confusing write up there by Supes I wasn’t sure if he meant us or Pels want Hunter at 4. I don’t imagine we trade up to 4 for Hunter but anything is possible.