• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young and Cam Reddish

NBASupes

40 minutes ago, enrique said:

While I was great with the trade before this draft too. I would hardly call Doncic over-hyped. He had a historic rookie season by any standard, but so did IceTrae. I love Trae. Add Cam and it is even more a win for the Hawks.

Well you just continue have your opinion. That's fine but I will continue to realize he does not make his team better when he is on the floor. His numbers are solid but he does not help anyone out. 

Again he will be solid but I am glad we traded away from him

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Yes, those generational superstar Euro talents need to be taught a lesson.

🙄

Did I offend you? Sorry bro just been a long line of them with the exception of a few. 

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

Did I offend you? Sorry bro just been a long line of them with the exception of a few. 

This whole board with the exception of a few ppl were so blatantly biased against Doncic last season it was a joke. Sad to see that trend is still going. Doncic is not some evil player because we traded him. It doesn't diminish what we do to acknowledge that Doncic is in fact a legit superstar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

This whole board with the exception of a few ppl were so blatantly biased against Doncic last season it was a joke. Sad to see that trend is still going. Doncic is not some evil player because we traded him. It doesn't diminish what we do to acknowledge that Doncic is in fact a legit superstar.

IMO, it's a little (or a lot) early to be calling him a "legit superstar".  I love Trae and I wouldn't call him a "legit superstar" at the moment either and the two essentially had the same (or very similar) seasons.  So this is where the rub is to me.  The folks saying Luka is over hyped, imo, are a product of folks claiming he is a superstar already.  That IS over-hyping the guy.  

I think Luka is a good player and a very good rookie.  He has potential to become one of the best in the game.  Same as Trae.  But neither is there yet.  But for some reason there are some of you that continue to claim Luka is already a superstar in the league. 

Maybe we are using that term in different ways, but the only superstars in the NBA, to me, are Steph, LBJ, Kawhi, AD, KD, and now Giannis.  That's is.  Luka ain't on that level and it's over-hyping to say he is.  Honestly, Luka isn't even on the next tier down with players like Paul George, Harden, Dame, etc...

• Like 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

IMO, it's a little (or a lot) early to be calling him a "legit superstar".  I love Trae and I wouldn't call him a "legit superstar" at the moment either and the two essentially had the same (or very similar) seasons.  So this is where the rub is to me.  The folks saying Luka is over hyped, imo, are a product of folks claiming he is a superstar already.  That IS over-hyping the guy.  

I think Luka is a good player and a very good rookie.  He has potential to become one of the best in the game.  Same as Trae.  But neither is there yet.  But for some reason there are some of you that continue to claim Luka is already a superstar in the league. 

Maybe we are using that term in different ways, but the only superstars in the NBA, to me, are Steph, LBJ, Kawhi, AD, KD, and now Giannis.  That's is.  Luka ain't on that level and it's over-hyping to say he is.  Honestly, Luka isn't even on the next tier down with players like Paul George, Harden, Dame, etc...

Agree with all of this but still think Luka has been everything a reasonable person would ask of him.  None of those guys you listed instantly turned their teams into contenders like some seem to want to use as a barometer for success (beyond that none did it while the team traded away most of its other starters).  

I use the same definition of superstar that you do and don’t know that he or Trae will ever reach that level but neither needs to do so to make the trade a success for their team.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree with all of this but still think Luka has been everything a reasonable person would ask of him.  None of those guys you listed instantly turned their teams into contenders like some seem to want to use as a barometer for success (beyond that none did it while the team traded away most of its other starters).  

I use the same definition of superstar that you do and don’t know that he or Trae will ever reach that level but neither needs to do so to make the trade a success for their team.

I agree.  I don't expect either to be superstars right from the jump.  I've seen enough of both to think both have that potential.  How far they take it is up to them.  In that regard, it was a win/win trade, imo.

I honestly just get tired of constant proclamations that Luka IS a "transcendent talent", "generational talent" "superstar" player already.  IF he is, so is Trae.  Reality says neither is and neither is particularly close to those lofty levels.  But both have potential.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Here is part of the problem. I don't hate Luka at all and I do not wish him I'll will in the slightest, but like all the LeBron fanboys, Luka fans are getting way ahead of themselves and are pretty damn annoying. 

What makes Luka a legit superstars? Not a damn thing that would not make Trae as superstar as well. I mean damn the kid had a good first season in the NBA but he is far from a rookie. 

Luka Stan's are the next level annoying when it comes to their good Luka.. Give the guy 4 years before labeling him a superstar 😂

29 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree.  I don't expect either to be superstars right from the jump.  I've seen enough of both to think both have that potential.  How far they take it is up to them.  In that regard, it was a win/win trade, imo.

I honestly just get tired of constant proclamations that Luka IS a "transcendent talent", "generational talent" "superstar" player already.  IF he is, so is Trae.  Reality says neither is and neither is particularly close to those lofty levels.  But both have potential.  

This ^^^^^^

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't have any more likes to give but wanted to acknowledge this is a legendary post.

People saying L*** will be an MVP, that he's a HOFer, he's a superstar and he's transcendent 'now' ... that's the problem.  That's what I rail against.

And their answer is always along the lines of, "Oh you can just see it."  Uh no.  It doesn't work that way.

You can't honestly say any of that about him without also saying the same about Trae.

Frickin' ridiculous.

• Like 2

To me what makes a superstar is all about the hype and buzz.

There are several star players in this league that can flat out ball and win games, but many of them don’t get the same hype as the “big names” do which makes them seem lesser in talent, and lowers their perceived value to owners who want to fill seats and garner national spotlight.

Superstars are sports versions of rock stars. Their music is always on the radio and tv. Meanwhile there’s plenty of dope artists who’s music is actually as good, and sometimes even better, that never get the same commercial success.

So, from that perspective Luka was a “superstar” as a rookie because even though his talent was good and he produced stats, the amount of energy, buzz and national attention he garnered raised his profile to that of a phenom.

Meanwhile, the media’s reluctance to praise anything that happens in Atlanta kept Trae’s profile from rising as far as buzz and hype went. He broke records, had clutch moments, explosive scoring and passing performances. But the hype was relegated to our fan base and loyal basketball enthusiasts only until after the all star break when the false narrative of “2nd half of season” was pushed as if Trae wasn’t already averaging 17 a game to start the year before a slumping month.

So I don’t get caught up in all the hype. Trae is still young and getting better and a lot of people that hated him are changing their tune. In addition to his talent he’s got the drive and moxy to force his way in to superstar debates in the near future. But the hype is everything 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think Pierce can't wait to install his defense this year.  He has everything he needs to do so after this draft!  Team can try to attack Young this year but I think this defense will be so swarming that it won't work.  The rest of the team can switch on any player!  It going to be exciting this year!  Just need that back up point guard!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Jury's obviously out on the final verdict, but I can't be mad right now.  At a minimum, it's looking like we can break even.  On potential, this is looking like a big win for us.

• Like 2