• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Case for Rookie of the Year

NBASupes

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Two smart guys who watch the damn games

Clearly! Jeff Siegel figured out that Mr. Walker may have simply been wistful about a former Hawks PG.

I had gone looking for some hard-hitting analysis on competitive sports in the Double G, and this was the best reporting I could find.

~lw3

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Tyreke Doncic is my name for him in realgm.

I have not visited that place since the Squawk has returned. Those guys stress me out

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

With Sekou, the Turner clan, et al., there are certainly ATL-oriented sportswriters in this pool, so it's not AS bad as, say, the fustercluck of voters that snubbed Nique for the 50th anniversary team.

Still, a quick scour shows, for the ROY and other NBA award votes, there were sportswriters/broadcasters working directly for local outlets situated in the following NBA markets (in some cases, multiple):

Boston

Chicago

Denver

Detroit

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Milwaukee

New York

Oklahoma City

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Portland

Sacramento

Salt Lake City

San Antonio

Toronto

As for Atlanta and Charlotte's "representative," we got a sports-editor dude from a newsrag in the Charlotte exurbs, a fella who got canned barely a month later.

~lw3

I likes the big guys like JJJ and Ayton. You know, the kids who should be playin this contact sport 🥎. If u ain’t got the siiiizee then you should be a waterboy 💦.

-Richard Walker on not voting for Trae. 

😝 

• Like 1

Despite Hawks' nice haul from the Luka Doncic deal, Rookie of the Year voting shows Mavs got a generational talent

A whopping 98% of voters favored Luka Doncic over poor Trae Young, the biggest landslide since the Gipper posterized Fritz Mondale. In fairness, Luka and Trae weren't even on the same ballot. The media held the Mavs' wunderkind up for inspection against Oscar Robertson, not the Hawks' electric wraith.

Only the Big O had a better rookie season, statistically speaking, than Luka.

Or maybe you think Luka-vs.-Trae wasn't a fair comparison in the first place. Maybe you say the question is whether Luka is better than Trae and the Hawks' first-round pick this year, Cam Reddish.

Sure, he played in the formidable shadow of Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett at Duke. But that's the thing: He'll play alongside good players in Atlanta, too. Will he occasionally disappear, as he did in college?

Chances are the Mavs can find a piece like Reddish easily enough. They need to find someone better, in fact.

Only one season is in the books, but, the way it looks now, the final tally on the great 2018 draft could come down to the two guys who were traded for each other. Not to get too old school on you, but everything else being equal, go with the big guy over the little guy.

Listen, the Hawks have no complaints coming about the '18 draft. They got the second-best player, probably, and a lottery pick this year. Young may use the voting snub as motivation to take his game up a level or two. You could probably bet on it.

Dallas Morning News

Bookmarked! Its time to destroy Dallas every f***ing time we play them

• Like 3

I have a feeling this whole media campaign is gonna blow up in their faces, and not because Luka is gonna be a complete failure, but he will never live up to these expectations they wrecklessly put on the kid.

I honestly do not see the hype. He has a decent stroke and IQ but he is slow. He will be a solid NBA player, and maybe an all-star his career but they are putting LeBron type pressure on this guy and I don't think it's fair to him.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:
Despite Hawks' nice haul from the Luka Doncic deal, Rookie of the Year voting shows Mavs got a generational talent

A whopping 98% of voters favored Luka Doncic over poor Trae Young, the biggest landslide since the Gipper posterized Fritz Mondale. In fairness, Luka and Trae weren't even on the same ballot. The media held the Mavs' wunderkind up for inspection against Oscar Robertson, not the Hawks' electric wraith.

Only the Big O had a better rookie season, statistically speaking, than Luka.

Or maybe you think Luka-vs.-Trae wasn't a fair comparison in the first place. Maybe you say the question is whether Luka is better than Trae and the Hawks' first-round pick this year, Cam Reddish.

Sure, he played in the formidable shadow of Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett at Duke. But that's the thing: He'll play alongside good players in Atlanta, too. Will he occasionally disappear, as he did in college?

Chances are the Mavs can find a piece like Reddish easily enough. They need to find someone better, in fact.

Only one season is in the books, but, the way it looks now, the final tally on the great 2018 draft could come down to the two guys who were traded for each other. Not to get too old school on you, but everything else being equal, go with the big guy over the little guy.

Listen, the Hawks have no complaints coming about the '18 draft. They got the second-best player, probably, and a lottery pick this year. Young may use the voting snub as motivation to take his game up a level or two. You could probably bet on it.

Dallas Morning News

Bookmarked! Its time to destroy Dallas every f***ing time we play them

Ur late to the party 🎉 Supes. I’ve been on board the best Mav butt train since June 2018. 

Trae>Doncic

Trae+Cam>>>>>> Doncic

Funny, two guys I don’t like very much have the initials of LD (Larry Drew, Luka Donc).

• Like 3

We get it, Luka gets the award but we have the better team player. They just don't get the latter part because its not so shiny. Sports writers make me appreciate Cabernet more and more every minute. Could end up a problem I guess.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

We get it, Luka gets the award but we have the better team player. They just don't get the latter part because its not so shiny. Sports writers make me appreciate Cabernet more and more every minute. Could end up a problem I guess.

Cab 🚕 it baby 👶 

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

Sorry, I have been slammed at work, but just read the article by the nut job putting down Trae and singling out Luka as the next Oscar Robertson. Insanity. Both Trae and Luka lay claims to stats that no other rookie other than a 22-year old OR (playing almost 43 minutes a game) compiled. Neither are OR, nor will either likely have his career. 

That being said, Trae is an incredibly rare peer group with his rookie campaign...equal or better than Luka. Voters be damned:)

• Like 2